• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is a little something that I typed up some time back. It really started as some thoughts I wanted to put down on paper. I sent the draft out to some other experienced shooters that work with a lot of new shooters and went from there.

Let me lay a little ground work. Keep in mind that this is something that I put together to help the new handgun owner. I will share with INGO that I carry a 1911 or J frame Smith and my dedicated house gun is currently a Sig P226. So obviously I have nothing against all steel guns or those with a traditional hammer. In fact I appreciate the craftsmanship of a quality handgun. But I am an enthusiast! Trust me it won't be long until that new handgun owner adds a second and third to their collection.

So with that let the debate and corresponding INGO disagreement begin! I will make one comment up front. I did take some liberty in my definitions describing handgun size. What we have traditionally referred to as a sub-compact are now large compared to some of the very small handguns on the market. For example a Glock 19 is very much a medium sized gun in todays market.

Choosing Your First Pistol
    By: Nate Kemp – Civic Responsibility & Safety

As a firearms instructor I get the privilege of working with many new shooters. Also, I am often asked for my advice regarding the purchase of a first handgun. It would seem that recent events have spurred renewed interest in both the shooting sports and the idea of people taking "Personal Protection" more seriously. Handguns in particular are of interest because they are easy to store and easy to keep on your person. Choosing a handgun for pleasure and self defense is a very personal decision and the cost of a new gun a considerable investment. With all the choices on the market today (and trust me there are a lot of marketing gimmicks) where does a person start? Luckily as an instructor and student of pistol marksmanship I have seen what works and what doesn't and can give a bit of advice.

1) Your pistol must be reliable. Keep in mind the objective and that is personal protection. Guns first and foremost are machines that have to work. My suggestion for a first gun is to stick with a well known and reputable manufacturer.
    2) Your pistol should offer acceptable accuracy. Practical accuracy varies according to the experience level of the shooters. Look for a pistol with a trigger that is easy to manipulate and that has large, visible sights. Avoid small handguns as larger pistols tend to be easier to learn to shoot well.
    3) Your pistol should fit your hand. This is referred to as ergonomics and is not something to overlook. What I look for is a gun that allows the operator to obtain a comfortable grip and index the trigger properly. A gun that fits a person properly is both comfortable and controllable to shoot. Practice is important and owning a gun that is fun to actually take to the range is essential.
    4) Your pistol should be a widely available and popular model. Think about a handgun as part of an overall system. Popular models from major manufactures come with a warranty and the ability to purchase spare parts. Aftermarket or factory parts such as sights and magazines will eventually be needed. What about holsters, belts and magazine pouches? Yes all of these things are necessary as you continue down the path as a firearms owner.
    5) Your pistol should fire a cartridge suitable for self defense. Stick with a cartridge choice that is easily available for purchase and offers adequate power. Suitable self defense cartridges include .38 spl, 9mm, .40 S&W, 45 acp. The cartridges can also be used for many recreational shooting activities.

I have made two observations while working with novice gun buyers:
    First price is a concern and people seem to have this on their mind when buying. Gun manufacturers and their marketing departments know this as well. There are numerous products in the case that are built to meet a price point. My suggestion is to avoid these products. While less expensive they may not be the best choice or provide the best overall value.
    Second many new gun owners, especially women, favor small pistols because the grips are smaller and the gun overall is less intimidating. There is no doubt that these smaller guns are easier to carry and conceal. The problem is that small guns do not have much weight to help absorb recoil. Often times these little guns are brutal to fire. These small “pocket guns” generally come with bad sights, short sight radius/barrels & difficult triggers. All of this translates into the worst possible combination for a good first handgun. I see it all the time, a new shooter shows up for class with a small .380 or lightweight .38 spl "snubby" revolver and the student finishes the course with one of my guns. I consider very small or very large handguns to be products made for a specific purpose. As such these pistols are appropriate for more experienced gun owners.

My recommendation for a first gun is the same whether a person is young or old, male or female. The objective here is to recommend a gun that I can quickly and easily have a novice shooter using in a relatively short amount of time. Below are my personal criteria:

A) Striker fired – Striker fired pistols use a spring loaded firing pin as opposed to a traditional hammer. The advantage is a consistent trigger pull. There is nothing inherently wrong with other firing mechanisms but they do require more training to become proficient.
    B) No manual safeties - I know new gun owners like safeties but they are one more thing to get in the way of making the gun go bang. Also, safeties offer a false sense of security. Never trust a mechanical safety! Follow good gun handling practices! If you do insist on choosing a gun with a manual safety make sure you practice its use.
    C) Good Sights & Trigger - Sights that are easily visible will help greatly. An easy to manipulate trigger is absolutely essential!
    D) Polymer Frame - We have come a long way in what we can do with plastic. Polymer framed pistols are lighter and impervious to corrosion. The guns are easy to maintain and lighter to carry.
    E) Medium Sized – What you want is a gun big enough to shoot and light enough to carry. A medium sized handgun has a barrel length of approximately 4 inches. As slides and barrels get shorter and guns get smaller we are asking more of the system in terms of reliability. Also as guns get lighter there is more felt recoil.
    F) Replaceable Backstraps & Ambidextrous Controls – The ability to change the size of the backstrap on the grip helps insure a proper fit for the shooters hand. Other features such as a reversible magazine release or slide stops on both sides are a benefit for left handed shooters.
    H) 9mm cartridge – Modern 9mm ammunition is easy to find and offers adequate power, excellent capacity and controllable recoil at the lowest cost per round.

Taking into account the above criteria what are the best options for a new gun owner?

1) Glock Gen 4- The Glock family covers the entire realm of subcompact to full size competition models. Originally developed for the Austrian military and in service since 1982, Glock has developed a loyal fan base. Glocks have the reputation of being reliable, no frills firearm and are far and away the most adopted platform in the law enforcement community. Whenever I am in a gun store and a Glock is suggested there is always somebody who will pipe up about how they don't like them and that there are other choices that are “Just as Good”. That alone speaks volumes about Glocks, they have essentially become the standard by which others are judged and along the way became a modern day icon.

Glock 26 3.4” Compact - Glock 19 4” Medium Service Pistol - Glock 17 4.5” Service Pistol - Glock 34 5.25” Competition

2) Smith & Wesson M&P - Smith and Wesson has an established history of building handguns. The M&P family comes in the form of a subcompact Shield, compact, full size and competition model. The M&P line were designed for law enforcement around the .40 S&W cartridge and adapted to 9mm making them well built. The civilian market has readily adopted the brand and aftermarket parts are now becoming plentiful. The hinged triggers are interestingly different for experienced shooters but I have found that new shooters favor the system and adapt to it quickly. The overall ergonomics and sights of the M&P line are excellent. I especially like how adaptable the grip inserts are and the high beavertail that protects the shooters hand from the slide.

Shield 3.1” Compact Single Stack - M&Pc 3.5” Compact - M&P 4.25” Medium Service Pistol - M&P Pro Series 5.25” Competition

3) Springfield XDs & XDm the Springfield lineup has a size to fit all needs. The full size XDm is the largest and heaviest of the guns mentioned. It also carries the highest capacity of 19 rounds. They do not have a manual safety but instead use a passive grip safety. I can make arguments either for or against the system they employ but with a proper grip it is an acceptable system that allows for a "single action" feel to the trigger. Ergonomics are overall good but the gun is somewhat bulky. The XD line is a well built, robust pistol made in Croatia by HS Produkt and marketed by Springfield. The original 4” XD X-treme Duty service pistol (HS2000) is still manufactured and in use with law enforcement and armed forces worldwide.

XDs 3” or 4” Compact Single Stack - XD mod2 3” Compact - XDm 3.8 Compact & Full Size - XDm 4.5 & 5.25 Service & Competition

4) Walther PP Polizeipistole Series - Quickly gaining market this is not an exactly new design, it is rather an evolution of the excellent P99 service pistol. In fact Walther has produced firearms for service use in Europe for many years including the now famous PPK & P38. The Walther P99 in my opinion pioneered the idea of ergonomics and proper triggers in modern service pistols. It is no wonder the ergonomics of the PPQ are exceptional, although the bore axis is a bit high making the gun interesting to handle in more powerful cartridges such as .40S&W. As expected the PPQ trigger is top notch. Aftermarket parts for this model are more limited but magazines and holsters are readily available. The Walther PPS, P99 & PPQ M1 utilize a European style paddle magazine release, while the PPQ M2 was developed specifically for the North American civilian market. The PPQ is a very versatile medium sized gun. Umarex is now the parent company and as such they are now marketing guns in several price ranges using the Walther name.

PPS Compact Single Stack - P99AS, P99QA, PPQM1 Service Pistol - PPQ M2 4” Medium Service Pistol - PPQ M2 5” Competition

5) Ruger SR9c - Ruger is known for offering affordable, American built guns. The SR9c deserves an honorable mention because of the lower price point, versatility and overall good value. These guns are well built and boast a lot of safety features that new gun owners seem to want. While I do not recommend manual safeties, the SR9c safety is both ambidextrous and frame mounted. The gun also includes a magazine disconnect, reversible backstaps, ambidextrose controls and visible loaded chamber indicator. While not as refined as the other pistols mentioned I have noticed that these guns do seem to be reliable and easy to shoot. The triggers and sights are quite usable and the pistol comes with both a compact and full size magazine with grip extension making very suitable for both concealed carry and range.

MSRPCompact SlimCompactService SizedCompetition
    Glock$599 - $649 G26 G19 & G17 G34
    Smith & Wesson$449 - $669 Shield M&P9c M&P M&P Pro
    Springfield$549 - $659 XDsXD Mod2 XD & XDm XDm
    Walther$599 - $699 PPS P99 & PPQ M2 PPQ M2 5”
    Ruger$449 - $529 LC9s SR9c SR9

Any of the above choices would make an excellent first pistol suitable for self defense, concealed carry, and recreational shooting. Think of these as the Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry of the handgun world. My household currently owns 3 models mentioned even though I have opted for a different pistol design for my personal use. The final decision as to which pistol you purchase should be dictated by the one that fits you best.

The chart shows MSRP which is always changing and you should expect the actual price in the store to be less. A quality new pistol can be purchased for $425 - $625, so not cheap but also not unaffordable. Another suggestion that I can offer is to purchase new when buying your first handgun. New guns from a storefront will come with a warranty from the manufacturer and well as the local support of the retailer. Plus a new gun comes with the knowledge that a previous owner did not alter the gun in any way.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice writeup. My personal preferences may run different now, but I think you pretty much nailed it for a first time shooter/gun owner.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    As Tim said, a nice writeup. I have learned recently (from teaching over 50 new shooters in the last 3 weeks at Parabellum) that you can very easily overwhelm them with information. Keep in mind they don't understand much of the terminology and when they get to an unfamiliar term they may just stop reading without someone there to explain things to them. All the right info is there but there are many terms and ideas that a new shooter won't understand. The most basic terms and ideas that most on the board would consider second nature are like a foreign language to many new shooters. Just my:twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Not sure I'd agree with only recommending striker fired polymer handguns to every situation. I can see where a revolver may be better in some situations, such as elderly or women that can't consistently and reliably rack a slide.

Other than that, I agree with the majority of what you wrote. Nice write up.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There is certainly some good information in the OP's post. I don't agree with all of it. It does serve to funnel everyone into the guns the OP prefers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure I'd agree with only recommending striker fired polymer handguns to every situation. I can see where a revolver may be better in some situations, such as elderly or women that can't consistently and reliably rack a slide.

Other than that, I agree with the majority of what you wrote. Nice write up.

I am a huge fan of revolvers. In fact I keep a little snubbie 642 in my pocket while working around the house and in the yard. But I have found that they are a poor choice for new gun owners. I am however a huge advocate for what I would call a "kit gun". That being a small to medium sized revolver with 3"-4" barrel and adjustable sights. My father carries a 3" Model 60 Pro Series and it would make a fantastic first gun for somebody. I have been considering the new 3" LCRx for my own little collection of loaner guns. Another good choice would be a 4" model 10 or similar. Lots of choices out there but when you walk into most gun shops what they have are snubbies.

I disagree about racking the slide. Short of a hand injury there are very few people that can not be taught to rack the slide of a modern semiautomatic. My wife has arthritis and up until she recently dislocated 3 fingers she still had the ability to run a slide. I have taught many smaller women in their 70s to successfully run a slide. This is my opinion. 1) a small revolver carries 5 rounds while a modern auto carries 15. How much slide racking is going on? 2) Double action triggers, especially those on some the less expensive revolvers, are unmanageable for people with arthritis. Remember my wife? She can not pull the trigger on a double action revolver but with the proper technique can run a 1911 like a boss.

There is certainly some good information in the OP's post. I don't agree with all of it. It does serve to funnel everyone into the guns the OP prefers.

Wrong. I prefer 1911s. But I do not recommend those to new owners. I keep a Sig P226 in my home as my personal firearm. But I do not recommend those. My wife keeps a 1911 in her bedside safe. So I am not making observations based off of my preferences but rather my experience in working with new shooters and helping them pick out a first handgun. We do own several polymer handguns but they are currently all unloaded and locked in the safe. I keep them around as loaners.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good information Nate. For someone new to shooting handguns this really nails it. If you are one of the few people who actually keep going and practice and have an interest in this stuff, then you have plenty of time to gravitate to other styles. For someone who is going to be the "average" gun owner and not put in a ton of time or work, these are safe choices.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Can I borrow 3-4 of them? LOL.psyko

Sure. I still have that Sig P226 Elite SAO that I know you want to get your hands on.

After shooting your PPQ I wanted one for myself. Then my wife walked into the store, liked it, bought it, hurt her hand, and now it sits in the safe. It is her gun and I dare not touch it before she gets the chance to try it out. She wanted something lighter then a full size 1911 in case she decided to take a friend along that day. That was the decision made by a lady gun owner with medium experience, arthritis and a lefty. Hmmm......

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

It does, but simplifying for newbies is the way to keep them from being overwhelmed with information. Yes, there are plenty of other options, some of which are good quality, but his criteria are a manageable number of common and quality brands that offer good value. You can quibble one or two on or off the list, but that simply would be your list in your guide. He already includes a note that this is his own personal listing (in bold) and is under no obligation to change the list for anyone. This guide will help keep the newbie from making a bad decision. It takes more info/experience to make an ideal one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    There are other choices in the market that would meet my criteria. Those may not be a readily available as some of the choices I listed. The 5 brands I listed are all in stock at many local shops. Don't get hung up on the actual list. Instead think through the criteria of what actually works and why.

Lets take the 1911 as an example. It is a great choice and meets many of the criteria. But decent pistol is going to set a person back $800. Then swapping out parts if need be is going to cost more $$$! The HK VP9 is another good choice. But they aren't as common yet and mags are tough to find. That places both of these as fine guns for enthusiasts such as ourselves.

Edit: What other Brands/Models of Handgun would INGO recommend to a new gun owner? Why would you make that recommendation?

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Edit: What other Brands/Models of Handgun would INGO recommend to a new gun owner? Why would you make that recommendation?

I wouldn't change a thing in your list. I think it's right on. Especially for beginners.

As for 1911's, I would never recommend one to a beginner. IMO, a 1911 is for someone who is NOT new to guns. They should be for someone with a lot more knowledge and experience. They are more "complicated" than a Glock and M&P.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I wouldn't change a thing in your list. I think it's right on. Especially for beginners.

As for 1911's, I would never recommend one to a beginner. IMO, a 1911 is for someone who is NOT new to guns. They should be for someone with a lot more knowledge and experience. They are more "complicated" than a Glock and M&P.

:+1:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    In my opinion, you're also leaving out failure manipulation. It's a lot easier for a new gun owner to pull the trigger a second time with a revolver than to figure out why their auto is jammed.

Id have no issue recommending a revolver or a sa/da handgun. It's all about getting the person that owns it to be confident and well trained with what they are using.

There are positives and negatives to any of the different options (striker, dao, sao, sa/da, and revolvers). It could be argued one way or the other for each type. The main thing is that the person relying on whichever option they choose is that they be proficient in the use of the type of firearm they carry.

I do not agree with a blanket statement of saying striker fire pistols are the best option for any new handgun owner who purchases one with self defense in mind.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    They should make this a sticky or something... This can save people a lot of time and money!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I agree seedubs1. And if they already own a handgun that is exactly what we do. That is teach them how to work with their gun.

As far as revolvers and malfunctions are concerned. There is a lot of myth surrounding revolvers. Mechanically there is more to fail in a revolver compared to a modern semiauto. The main reason either type of pistol fails is usually ammo related. So depends on what is wrong with the ammo. If we are talking high primer or a bullet working forward under recoil then that is bad news for a revolver. Turns it into a club real quick. In contrast with an auto you eliminate the magazine which gets rid of a point of failure. Bad primer then yes the advantage goes to the revolver.

I have had had plenty of failures with both a revolver and a semiauto. Semiauto is almost always faster and easier to fix. Revolvers often require tools when they fail. As far as clearing an auto, if the person drove themselves to the range they are probably mechanically inclined enough to learn a malfunction drill.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I agree seedubs1. And if they already own a handgun that is exactly what we do. That is teach them how to work with their gun.

The classes and groups I've worked with have had the rainbow of firearms brought to the line. When I inquire as to how the shooter came to choose their firearm (that doesn't meet the OP criteria) I've found that it was either recommended by a buddy, about the size they thought would conceal well, or was what their husband had given them to try. After giving the shooter a chance to get good hits with what they brought, I offer them a chance to try something different... Perfect example - A lady in here 50s came to the line with a 3" revolver. She had 1/2 of a bullet hole in an 8" paper plate @ 5 yards after 10 shots. I put a S&W M&P 9mm 4.25" in her hand and she had 4 out of 5 quality hits on that same plate. For new shooters, I stand by these criteria and this list...

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    In my opinion, you're also leaving out failure manipulation. It's a lot easier for a new gun owner to pull the trigger a second time with a revolver than to figure out why their auto is jammed.

Id have no issue recommending a revolver or a sa/da handgun. It's all about getting the person that owns it to be confident and well trained with what they are using.

There are positives and negatives to any of the different options (striker, dao, sao, sa/da, and revolvers). It could be argued one way or the other for each type. The main thing is that the person relying on whichever option they choose is that they be proficient in the use of the type of firearm they carry.

I do not agree with a blanket statement of saying striker fire pistols are the best option for any new handgun owner who purchases one with self defense in mind.

I have thought about this thread for a while. I have a friend who is in the market for a 9mm handgun, which will be his first handgun. I am not totally sure what I would recommend to him. Personally, I am hung up on the fact that someone who may not be familiar with handguns may also not be excellent at keeping their finger off of the trigger when manipulating the firearm. Yes, they need training, but I know I felt a lot safer as I learned with a strong 12lb DA trigger pull rather than with a striker fired pistol. It made me feel more confident carrying, holstering, etc. I knew I couldn't shoot as well with my p30, but I preferred that piece of mind. Now, having practiced MUCH more both shooting and carrying, give me a striker fired pistol any day. I'm a better shot with a striker fired pistol and now being more comfortable carrying, I feel like I don't need that DA trigger pull as a security blanket. Is this wrong?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom