• ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Are there any better alternatives?

For what purpose? EDC yes, just about anything else is a better alternative. With the exception of a Desert Eagle. Of course that JMHO.

For a neat show piece and range toy its pretty cool. If you want one and can afford it buy it. If you plan to carry it, I would suggest looking elsewhere. Again JMHO.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Also, there's a long wait list (9months - 2 yrs, last i heard)

This is factory direct, not sure if many/any retailers sell em. U should call them to verify, this is all second hand info

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    solarpimp,

I own a Coonan 357 B.
    Its fun to shoot.
    Some 357 loads belch out a significant fireball,
    so overcast days at the range are fun.
    Its quite accurate, I've used it to shoot bowling pins.
    You do feel the pressure when firing but the recoil is not bad.
    The inside has few machine marks, it almost seems polished inside.
    I'm not sure if the new Coonans are finished as well.
    The grip is bigger to accommodate the length of the 357 round.

coonan357B.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've never owned or fired one, but back when I was in the Navy and looking to buy my first and only carry sidearm, I had settled on either the Coonan or the Smith & Wesson 1006.
    I went with the 1006 obviously, and I have no problem at all concealed carrying it, and the Coonan would have been equally easy, but I'm also 6'4" and 240 lbs, so that makes it easier.
    I've heard that the workmanship is really good on the Coonan, though.
    Being an auto, it would also spread out the duration of the recoil from those snappy .357 Magnum loads.
    With the proper IWB holster (I love my Kramer horsehide one), I wouldn't necessarily relegate it entirely to just range use.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    solarpimp,

I own a Coonan 357 B.
    Its fun to shoot.
    Some 357 loads belch out a significant fireball,
    so overcast days at the range are fun.
    Its quite accurate, I've used it to shoot bowling pins.
    You do feel the pressure when firing but the recoil is not bad.
    The inside has few machine marks, it almost seems polished inside.
    I'm not sure if the new Coonans are finished as well.
    The grip is bigger to accommodate the length of the 357 round.

View attachment 35729

Got to meet AllenM a while back and Parabellum and shot his and it's a lot of fun. Definitely feel the recoil on it versus a standard 1911 shooting .45, but it's not bad. I agree that it was very accurate. I don't have any knowledge of the reliability or anything. I only shot 3 or 4 mags worth through it, but I certainly enjoyed it. Seems like it'd make a great range gun.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If your looking to add something to your collection that is fun to shoot and makes a good conversation piece it fits the bill. Another alternative is a 4"S&W 500 mag. A ton of fun to shoot if you like a little recoil. the 500 is cheaper and they cost about the same to shoot, actually the Coonan might cost more to shoot because you will burn more ammo in it.
    I love my 500 but not eveybody feels the same about shooting it :)

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    If it was just a range gun. I think I would go Desert Eagle. The DE will offer the advantages of changing calibers and/or easier to scope for hunting.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    I had a coonan model B. Really miss that gun. Mine was an extended barrel with factory accurizing. Clay pigeons on the 100 yd berm were not an issue. I will replace it one of these days. My personal experience with the desert eagle was not as good. In fact I sold the second one I owned immediately after shooting it head to head with a coonan.

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    Thanks to all for the excellent info! I did see that there is a dealer who stocks them and he says he buys four or five a month and that they don't stick around for long!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If your looking for a range toy that's a handful the Desert Eagle 50ae is a hoot. It gets lots of attention at the range when you shoot it. I really like it. I am leaning towards getting a S&W 500 as my next range toy.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Indy Trading Post has one of these for sale right now, in the $1370-something if I recall correctly. I believe the manufacturer provides a spare spring that lets you shoot .38 specials in them, which could make it easier to justify.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If your looking to add something to your collection that is fun to shoot and makes a good conversation piece it fits the bill. Another alternative is a 4"S&W 500 mag. A ton of fun to shoot if you like a little recoil. the 500 is cheaper and they cost about the same to shoot, actually the Coonan might cost more to shoot because you will burn more ammo in it.
    I love my 500 but not eveybody feels the same about shooting it :)

I enjoyed shooting your Coonan. Gun shoot great brand new out of the box. Your S&W 500 Is fun to shoot too. Factory ammo wasn't bad in the 500. Your reloads for the 500 killed my hands.

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    I also have entertained the DE in .50. I once owned one in .44 Mag. I just would think, because I don't know for sure, that the DE .50AE ammo would cost a lot compared to the .357Mag. I also would enjoy a .500 Mag but think the .460 is tons more versatile as it shoots the .454 Casull and the .45 LC. Screw it, I'll just get one of each...eventually!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I also have entertained the DE in .50. I once owned one in .44 Mag. I just would think, because I don't know for sure, that the DE .50AE ammo would cost a lot compared to the .357Mag. I also would enjoy a .500 Mag but think the .460 is tons more versatile as it shoots the .454 Casull and the .45 LC. Screw it, I'll just get one of each...eventually!
    The ammo is pricey. Around a buck twenty a round. And it's not found everywhere.

Top Bottom