• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Okay, a few months ago, I started a new thread about how I was intrigued by 1911s and was trying to decide what to get. I am pretty familiar with polymer pistols and have Glocks, HKS, Walthers, blah, blah, blah. I knew nothing about 1911s. Well, I became more and more interested in the 1911..... and Happy Valentine's Day to me, a purchase was made today. I grabbed 500 rounds of 45 ammo and headed straight to the nearest indoor range.

My first impression was "damn this thing is heavy!" My second impression was, "Wow, I am all of a sudden a good shot!" It was like a laser. I just pointed and poked out huge paper holes. I could put together a decent group in the black even with the target run all the way back!?! I would never have been able to do that with my polymer 9mms or my HK45. Granted, I am not that awesome of a shot, but this gun is FUN to shoot. I like the recoil impulse, the feel, everything. I was thinking "man I need more of these and fewer of EVERYTHING else in my safe!" Ha, anyhow, I had fun. BUT, I have questions, sure I could Google these, but they are simple and I bet someone helpful can answer each in less than a sentence. I'll appreciate it.

First, I shot almost the entire 500 rounds out of the gun. I shot some out of my glock 30s for comparison. Whoa that is humbling. I shot a mix of Remington UMC and Winchester white box. Then I tested out my self defense rounds to see how they cycled. I did this intermittently over my shooting session. At about round 400 the gun had a failure to return to battery on a 230 grain hydrashock tactical. It acted, well, gummed up. No other failures for the next 100 rounds even mixing in some mags of hydrashock tactical. My question is simple. Are we sortof expecting problems in the break in period? I wasn't expecting any problems, at all, because I am used to my HK 45 that I can shoot hundreds of rounds through, not clean, and then shoot hundreds. I've never had any problem with ANY ammo in any of my HKs. My questions aren't brand related, but the firearm is a Wilson Combat CQB Elite and I bought Wilson Combat mags. THe mag that I had a problem (while using not with the mag per se) was one of their tactical ones, for whatever that's worth.

So, after this I had a little angst, cause, am I going to have to clean this thing every 400 rounds? Can I put a little oil in it at the range? I lost maybe a little confidence...

Second question. The Grip panels came loose..!..? This happens?!? Any reason not to blue Loctite those? I just can't understand the grip panels being designed where they can come loose. Other ideas?

Third, I read in the manual that you shouldn't rack the slide forcefully to remove a live round? Something might hit the primer and fire it when you draw back on the slide. SO, if you have a malfunction, you gotta rack slowly and carefully? I am used to the opposite.

Fourth, I've never cleaned my mags for ANYTHING before. You gotta clean these I bet huh?

FIfth and final. THe HI VIZ sight got dirty and lost all of its VIZ pretty easily. Any tips about that? Like Vaseline it before shooting so the gunk wipes off?

So, far, it's been a fun day. Thanks in advance. All, in all, I am a little disappointed that I waited so long to get a 1911.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    1) It's a break in period. Sometimes things happen, sometimes they do not. Maybe the round was a touch out of spec?

2) I don't loctite mine, I just make sure they're snug. Too much loctite and the bushing might come out with the grip screw if the staking isn't good enough.

3) Not a clue on that one, what manuf. says that? For unloading a 1911 or clearing it I don't change my technique any.

4) Not unless you use some nasty lube that gets in them and gums up. I've never cleaned any of my 1911 mags besides a WWII military mag

5) Powder burn and reside on a fiber optic, I don't have any recommendations. Seems like something that will happen regardless. If you put Vaseline on it I'd expect it to just blow completely off the first or second shot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to the failure in return to battery.
    Winchester white box is some of the dirtiest ammo you can run. It will crap up a good 1911.

Most issues you will have will be mag related. I have 2 Wilson mags sitting out of rotation right now for feed issues.

Yes, you can run crao ammo in your plymers. Yes, as much as you want.
    A good, tight 1911 will not be that forgiving. The fit up is much tighter which is part of your new found accuracy. The rest is the trigger.

Get some decent ammo for it. Clean it every time you use it. Keep it clean and lubed and it will give you everything you would want accuracy and enjoyment wise.

No more white box.
    JMHO

I have found panel screws loose on 1911's. Just snug it up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Okay, a few months ago, I started a new thread about how I was intrigued by 1911s and was trying to decide what to get. I am pretty familiar with polymer pistols and have Glocks, HKS, Walthers, blah, blah, blah. I knew nothing about 1911s. Well, I became more and more interested in the 1911..... and Happy Valentine's Day to me, a purchase was made today. I grabbed 500 rounds of 45 ammo and headed straight to the nearest indoor range.

My first impression was "damn this thing is heavy!" My second impression was, "Wow, I am all of a sudden a good shot!" It was like a laser. I just pointed and poked out huge paper holes. I could put together a decent group in the black even with the target run all the way back!?! I would never have been able to do that with my polymer 9mms or my HK45. Granted, I am not that awesome of a shot, but this gun is FUN to shoot. I like the recoil impulse, the feel, everything. I was thinking "man I need more of these and fewer of EVERYTHING else in my safe!" Ha, anyhow, I had fun. BUT, I have questions, sure I could Google these, but they are simple and I bet someone helpful can answer each in less than a sentence. I'll appreciate it.

First, I shot almost the entire 500 rounds out of the gun. I shot some out of my glock 30s for comparison. Whoa that is humbling. I shot a mix of Remington UMC and Winchester white box. Then I tested out my self defense rounds to see how they cycled. I did this intermittently over my shooting session. At about round 400 the gun had a failure to return to battery on a 230 grain hydrashock tactical. It acted, well, gummed up. No other failures for the next 100 rounds even mixing in some mags of hydrashock tactical. My question is simple. Are we sortof expecting problems in the break in period? I wasn't expecting any problems, at all, because I am used to my HK 45 that I can shoot hundreds of rounds through, not clean, and then shoot hundreds. I've never had any problem with ANY ammo in any of my HKs. My questions aren't brand related, but the firearm is a Wilson Combat CQB Elite and I bought Wilson Combat mags. THe mag that I had a problem (while using not with the mag per se) was one of their tactical ones, for whatever that's worth.

So, after this I had a little angst, cause, am I going to have to clean this thing every 400 rounds? Can I put a little oil in it at the range? I lost maybe a little confidence...

Second question. The Grip panels came loose..!..? This happens?!? Any reason not to blue Loctite those? I just can't understand the grip panels being designed where they can come loose. Other ideas?

Third, I read in the manual that you shouldn't rack the slide forcefully to remove a live round? Something might hit the primer and fire it when you draw back on the slide. SO, if you have a malfunction, you gotta rack slowly and carefully? I am used to the opposite.

Fourth, I've never cleaned my mags for ANYTHING before. You gotta clean these I bet huh?

FIfth and final. THe HI VIZ sight got dirty and lost all of its VIZ pretty easily. Any tips about that? Like Vaseline it before shooting so the gunk wipes off?

So, far, it's been a fun day. Thanks in advance. All, in all, I am a little disappointed that I waited so long to get a 1911.

Mags should be good no cleaning.

Sights got dirty from the crap ammo.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Well, you pose some questions that can be answered differently by brand, size and type of 1911! Can you tell us what you purchased? It'll shorten the answers to be a bit more specific I think.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Well, you pose some questions that can be answered differently by brand, size and type of 1911! Can you tell us what you purchased? It'll shorten the answers to be a bit more specific I think.
    It's a full sized gun....I believe. It was a new Wilson combat cqb elite with Wilson combat tactical mags. I can't find any decent ammo around....? I'll pay more, but usually that's all I can find.

thanks for help so far,

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The WWB is most likely your suspect. Nasty stuff and it's about the only ammo I've had trouble with except some cheap import stuff and some reloads I loaded up for another gun. Avoid the WWB like a STD.
    IT only takes ONE loose grip to cause a failure. I did that 2 weeks ago at Parabellum range shooting left handed, hand across the small hand bench on the lane. I felt the gun slip in my hand as soon as I pulled the trigger. My fault on the "Creativity" of grip and rest.
    I'll use the S&B, Speer, and Federal, 230gr ball. WWB only IF I got it in a trade or someone brings some over. The Remington is a bit better than the WWB but what I've bought of it hasn't been loaded that consistent.
    I do a quick field strip after 500 or so rounds. I wash my guns down with Remoil and a soft tooth brush. Takes less than 10 minutes. Clean ammo will really stretch the field strip mileage. Dirty ammo firing gets a cleaning every time I shoot the stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't be shy with the lube on your 1911 period, even more of a concern when new. If you are shooting 400 rounds at a time, you are gonna want to reload anyway. You'll be happy to hear that you can load way cleaner loads than most any factory load you can buy.

Big fat hollow points are occasionally troublesome in tight chambered 1911's. You may have to shop around to find a completely reliable round. (185gr Corbon DPX for me.) You also might want to try your defensive loads earlier in your range session when using that dirty factory ammo.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    For whatever reason, while WC appears to make a great 1911, the same doesn't seem to be true with their magazines. Have read numerous threads and articles and a wide array of sites, and WC magazine 'issues' popped up with some regularity.

Shouldn't be any issue finding alternatives. :yesway:

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    For your grip panel screws, a couple of O-rings should fix you right up. Do a Google search for "grip panel screw O-rings" and you'll see several ideas on how to keep those grip screws tight.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    A friend of mine used Wilson Combat mags in his 1911 for a while. He had plenty of trouble with them. He recently switched to Mecgar mags and loves them.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    A friend of mine used Wilson Combat mags in his 1911 for a while. He had plenty of trouble with them. He recently switched to Mecgar mags and loves them.
    Good info. I'll research that. Truthfully I noticed maybe one mag that loaded "funny". Didn't think about it til now. Good thing I bought 8 of them!?! WC will stand by it I bet, if I isolate it to one mag.... I was actually pretty thrilled how inexpensive mags were. I'm used to unavailable or $70 and up when they are from hk.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have no trouble with WC ETM'S......

white box doesn't run good in tight 1911's because it's out of spec......OAL off......

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It may not like the HST round. My best shooting gun doesn't like them either. The rounder the nose of the bullet the better they like them. My guess is ammo experimentation. ONE fail doesn't mean it doesn't like that round though. I'd continue to shoot everything until you know the personality of the weapon and relationship of ammo preferences.
    Congrats on the Wilson. Top notch gun. Yea, they do shoot well.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    It failed on a mag of hst, not on wwb.

if your WC CQB won't eat anything with a ETM mag you need to send it back.....this will eat anything......as it should....

2d0ayiu.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP is your CQB a new or used gun? If used go ahead and replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring. Mags wear out, especially the Wilson's. Replace carry mags annually. All failures in my Wilson have been ammo related. I clean the gun about every 400 rounds.

Most budget ammo anymore (WWB, Federal Champion, UMC) seems to have variability in quality.

Wilson will fix a gun that run.

Do not! Locktite the grip screws!!!!!!!!!!!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I wouldn't worry to much about it!
    Don't go changing stuff, It was 1 bad round!
    I think if I'm not mistaken 6 months ago Wilson mags were the only way to go, now their not up to snuff. Go figure.

Top Bottom