• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i am a total 1911 n00b. i already have a Taurus PT1911 which i really like, perhaps due to my ignorance.:D but i have been bitten by the bug and am considering getting another 1911. i dont want anything too expensive, as the wife wouldnt be happy...at all. i also kinda like the bare bones military-type. i have been thinking about a SA GI. is this the best bet for the money? i would consider the Colt WWI repro if i could find one at a good price, but they seem a bit rare. are the rock island guns any good? stick with the SA? sell the Taurus and buy something more expensive?

or....should i scrap the 1911 idea and buy a Glock? :):

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I have the SA Mil Spec, great choice. The words "not too expensive" and Colt generally don't go together. I almost bought a WW1 repro and still might, but I haven't seen one under $800.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    true about the colt thing....but i might spend a bit more if i saw something special.

as for the RIA, thanks for the heads up. being a noob, i am looking for a good reliable gun right out of the box.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I have the SA Mil Spec, great choice. The words "not too expensive" and Colt generally don't go together. I almost bought a WW1 repro and still might, but I haven't seen one under $800.
    If you want a nice 1911 for a reasonable price the S.A. Mil Spec is probably the best one!
    :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Now if you have the, well you know? The word starts with a "B"! :): The cream of the crop is the Springfield Armory Professional (F.B.I. Model) :patriot: You will have to eat Ramen Noodles for awhile though! Ramen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    o089pz.jpg

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not saying it's your way to go, but my "another gun" money has gone to ammo, training, ammo, shooting matches and ammo.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I am partial to Colt, but they will cost you. Just stick with one of the big names. Springfield, Colt, Kimber, DW, etc. None of them make poor 1911s.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Maybe to late for you, but of what you posted I would go with the Springfield GI, you won't be disappointed, and as you've found out it won't be your last. Welcome to the addiction. :D

duboismd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Probably can't go wrong with any of these suggestions. I am partial to Springfield loaded but prefer S&W SC. Many 1911 choices for any budget.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Wilson Combat is pretty hard to beat. Pricey, but shoot one and then price becomes secondary as you'll be spending your kids savings to get one (from what I hear, of course!)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'd say RIA if you are looking for an inexpensive GI type 1911. My wife's has been flawless through the 500 rounds she's put through it, and my step-father and best friend both have similar experiences with theirs. Cathy's is much more accurate than I would have expected, also.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Sorry for the quasi-:hijack: but any thoughts on the Para Ordinances GI Expert? I have read a lot about them (PO weapons) and have seen nothing but good things and can assume to a degree that the GIE is a good gun for the money, but any first hand experience?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I personally have a springfield GI in OD green and love it! Great shooting gun and so far very reliable. If I hadn't found the deal I did on it i was gonna go with a para GI expert. Last time I had been at ludco they had one for $550. In my eyes that's about as cheap as you can go for a good quality 1911.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I personally have a springfield GI in OD green and love it! Great shooting gun and so far very reliable. If I hadn't found the deal I did on it i was gonna go with a para GI expert. Last time I had been at ludco they had one for $550. In my eyes that's about as cheap as you can go for a good quality 1911.

Is that price for the PO or the Springfield?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Is that price for the PO or the Springfield?

That was for the para. Last time I was in there was a couple months ago though. Who knows if they still have it. You could call and check. I picked up my springfield from someone on here for $450 with 5 mags and 3 sets of grips. I couldn't pass that deal up. :ingo:

Top Bottom