• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OMG-ZOMBIES

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    A couple years ago a friend showed me his H&R 999 and I quickly decided I wanted one. At the time they were selling for about $300 with new in the box going up to $500. I kept looking and bidding on gunbroker and other sites and finally got a decent used one for about $100 more than I had planned. I have continued to look for a nicer one and prices recently have skyrocketed, like new in the box are going for $750 to $1000. Can someone explain this to me? Has any other gun (other than AR's) jumped like this? Will prices come back down? Just wondering..

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Lots of guns go up in value after production ends.

More people want them now than wanted them when they were in production, so demand is growing and supply is static. This always leads to higher prices.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have a 999 that belonged to my father. A little used no rust honest 98% gun. I have always felt the gun was very under appreciated by the shooting public. Fun gun to shoot that is very accurate. A great camp gun as well. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would but even after reading the tutorial it eludes me.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    I bought a near mint H&R 999 Sportsman about 5 years ago for around $300. I had no idea that the prices on them had increased so much. As previously mentioned they are nice guns and highly underrated. The d/a trigger pull on mine could stand to be a little lighter but other than that I have no complaints.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    A couple years ago a friend showed me his H&R 999 and I quickly decided I wanted one. At the time they were selling for about $300 with new in the box going up to $500. I kept looking and bidding on gunbroker and other sites and finally got a decent used one for about $100 more than I had planned. I have continued to look for a nicer one and prices recently have skyrocketed, like new in the box are going for $750 to $1000. Can someone explain this to me? Has any other gun (other than AR's) jumped like this? Will prices come back down? Just wondering..

My first revolver/pistol. Bought it around 1979 at a little gun shop on the southside of Bloomington. Shop was in an old house. Seems like I paid a little over $100, but I'm not sure. Would have bought 2 if I'd known what I know now. LOL I thought the old break-top was very cool. The grips are big and the little gun points well and is surprisingly accurate. Adjustable front and rear sights. The shopkeeper even threw in the old Hunter holster. I was baad a$$ on chipmonks, squirrels, and a couple of groundhogs!

I think I saw one a year or so ago at a 1500 show. Seems like it went for $300 or close to it. I recall thinking- hmm, kinda high....But, it is a classic little revolver.

When my time is up I think my 3 sons are going to flip a coin on this one! (sorry for the upside down/wack pics- trying to get the editing to work right)

View attachment 36271 View attachment 36272 View attachment 36273 View attachment 36274

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Well awesome. I just got one of these handed down to me. Need to get a rear sight blade for it. Of course I wouldn't sell it anyway but it's nice to know the value is increasing.

Last edited:

OMG-ZOMBIES

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    PappyD, Nice pictures of a really nice 999. That will be tough for your sons for sure!
    Kirk, Thanks i did not know that.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Owned a 999 back in 2008. Was not reliable because of light primer strikes. Tried many different types of ammo to no avail. No way to extend the firing pin easily. Sold it a year later.

wdan5906

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Hendricks County
    First Handgun ever owned. Purchased like new from Poff's Sporting Goods in Terre Haute in 1978. Paid $90.00. Looks identical to PappyD's. great learning hand gun.

Top Bottom