• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I went to ITP today to blow some cobwebs off and shot my carry rotation (P220, P245, LCR) and my Match Champion. I had my range bag already packed from a planned outing that didn't occur, so I just took the .40 out and left.

I got to the range and realized my .38 was just boxes of empty brass to reload. I really wanted to get some time in with my BUG so I used my .357 reloads in my LCR. These are not creampuff rounds by any means. 158gr LSWC over 10.2 grains of Accurate #7. They are real magnum loads and they are stout in my GP100s. In an LCR... Ow. Seriously, ow. It was loud enough the guy in the lane next to me gave a "WTF?" out loud when I shot it the first time.:):

I ran 15 rounds through it...and that's enough. They grouped really well and I wasn't flinching and pushing them down...but ow. Hours later the web of my hand is still pink and I've either got a little blister or a little callous on the inside of my thumb by the knuckle. The LCR didn't care at all, though. The cylinder is still tight as a drum, no new wobble, etc. I'll admit to being hesitant about a polymer revolver...but this little guy is tougher than me.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I went to ITP today to blow some cobwebs off and shot my carry rotation (P220, P245, LCR) and my Match Champion. I had my range bag already packed from a planned outing that didn't occur, so I just took the .40 out and left.

I got to the range and realized my .38 was just boxes of empty brass to reload. I really wanted to get some time in with my BUG so I used my .357 reloads in my LCR. These are not creampuff rounds by any means. 158gr LSWC over 10.2 grains of Accurate #7. They are real magnum loads and they are stout in my GP100s. In an LCR... Ow. Seriously, ow. It was loud enough the guy in the lane next to me gave a "WTF?" out loud when I shot it the first time.:):

I ran 15 rounds through it...and that's enough. They grouped really well and I wasn't flinching and pushing them down...but ow. Hours later the web of my hand is still pink and I've either got a little blister or a little callous on the inside of my thumb by the knuckle. The LCR didn't care at all, though. The cylinder is still tight as a drum, no new wobble, etc. I'll admit to being hesitant about a polymer revolver...but this little guy is tougher than me.

The .357 LCR has a higher metal/polymer ratio than the .38 does. It's a tough little gun. I love my Smiths, but my .357 LCR is my favorite carry gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder if anyone has done durability tests on .357 LCR's? How long they would hold up with a regular diet of heavy loads?

I have similar questions about my S&W 60-15. Would it handle my top of the chart H110/180gr deer loads if that was all I had on hand?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not trying to be snarky in ANY way, but I'm lost as to how this relates to the strength of the LCR...?

What did I miss?

It was meant to be a little funny...

But, why even own a BUG that is that difficult to shoot? My way of thinking, if you HAVE to draw your BUG, then you really NEED it.
    It should be a gun that reliable, and as easy to shoot as your primary is.

I like the idea of a BUG that is a light weight revolver. But, a Glock 26 or even a M&P Shield, is a much better choice and even easier to shoot and carry.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Yeah, funny. :):
    My J Frame is a BUG only for social use. The 3" 60-15 is my primary handgun at times in the woods and on the water. Hence the question of whether the rifle loads will blow it up?

Not trying to be snarky in ANY way, but I'm lost as to how this relates to the strength of the LCR...?

What did I miss?

It was a stab at my posting the other thread that insinuated the J Frame is inadequate if your adversary is a well armed active shooter.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It was meant to be a little funny...

But, why even own a BUG that is that difficult to shoot? My way of thinking, if you HAVE to draw your BUG, then you really NEED it.
    It should be a gun that reliable, and as easy to shoot as your primary is.

I like the idea of a BUG that is a light weight revolver. But, a Glock 26 or even a M&P Shield, is a much better choice and even easier to shoot and carry.

It's not difficult to shoot. Even with ow loads my 7y group would fit in a baseball. With my normal 130gr .38 it's a pleasure to shoot. These were just too heavily loaded for them to be fun in this gun.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    It's not difficult to shoot. Even with ow loads my 7y group would fit in a baseball. With my normal 130gr .38 it's a pleasure to shoot. These were just too heavily loaded for them to be fun in this gun.

I was WAITING for your reply to that :) I've found the LCR to be easy shooting, as well - but with FULL magnum loads (read, the kind that 9mm +p+ can only dream of!), yeah, ow.

More "pedestrian" loads? Cake.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't think the lcr is too bad, but that's funny. I once saw an air weight revolver for super cheap in a gun shop that looked brand new. I asked and it was indeed used. They said the guy bought it like 3 days prior and just brought it back and bought something else... I asked what happened and they said "he shot it." I get this from people with pocket pistols too lol

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I really love my LCR's, one in 9mm and one 357. Great carry guns and they can stand up to weather well. So well that, as stated, they do it better than me. Had mine out a few times this past winter and the same happened to me as BehindBlueI's. I love mine, carry them and wouldn't trade them for anything else available. :yesway:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I love my Smith Bodyguard in .38spl, but a box of 50 rounds is pretty much my limit with it. I can't imagine full power .357 mag from the same sized frame.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I usually take the 629, and start off by firing 'combat effective' rounds, rapid fire with hot loads, the cylinder full plus 2 - 4 speedloaders.

By then, most of the folks have left, and I can have a nice, relaxing session at the range! :laugh:

Top Bottom