• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I believe most 22lr pistols don't require subsonic ammo.

I think 5" or 5.5" barrel length is the magic number.

I was researching this a few months ago for a 1022 SBR project. I want it to run bulk 22 and suppress well.

Here is a thread on AR15.com
    What barrel length keeps .22LR subsonic? - AR15.Com Archive

It doesn't matter to me if they require it or not, I have quite a bit of it.

Thanks for the info though.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    Ruger Mark II. I have 2 of them, and over the last 15 years they have digested everything fed to them -- normal 22LR that is. Aguilla Colibri didn't cycle, but I never expected it to cycle a semiauto. A clean gun is better for the sub-sonic ammo, of course.
    Mark I's and Mark III's should be the same for ammo digestion (speculation; based on bolt design and recoil spring design).
    IF the gun gets dirty (ahem) CCI MiniMags work well. (NOT sub-sonic...)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've shot the hell out of my Buckmark so it does standard velocity/subsonic loads like normal loads.

Every once in a great while I'll even get a CCI Quiet to completely cycle, it's rare though

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My Walther P22 has a threaded barrel and runs subsonic Remingtons and CCI Std Velocity without any problems with or without my suppressor.

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    +My Ruger SR22 fun gun will eat anything that says CCI or Blazer on it! It will absolutely not tolerate anything Federal (sloping shoulder on the rim I think). Most Remington will function, but not for too long because it is so dirty. I haven't tried WWB yet. Just picked some the other day, and hope to get to the range soon with it. As far as sub-sonics go, the SR22 seems to love them. The SR22 is available with athreaded barrel though I haven't seen one yet. It's a great fun gun. I've even carried it accasionly. It's that accurate. I believe that accuracy is every bit as important as pure stopping power in a defensive situation. With the SR22 I am far more accurate with double and triple taps than with my Shield and my G19. Don't get me wrong, if i've going south of 96th St. I will have one or both of the 9mms with me.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I do not like the way the mags are a pain in the ass to seat in the 22/45. My kid had difficulty with the gun and I didn't like it myself. I'd insert and drop the mag afew times in whatever gun your looking at

mdoyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    United States
    I used to have a Walther P22 and it never cycled anything but CCIs. Someone i work with has the same problem. I loved the gun though. Lost it in a divorce though. Was sad tobsee it go.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    It doesn't matter to me if they require it or not, I have quite a bit of it.

Thanks for the info though.

I was thinking the same as JD. You were trying to use a suppressor.

If you are just wanting to shoot up your subsonic ammo maybe you can find a gun you like and lighten the recoil spring. Just remember to only shoot low power ammo with it. Maybe tag the gun. I would find one that you can get a new spring easy. Or grab a couple spare springs to mess with and save the original.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Not Mine

+My Ruger SR22 fun gun will eat anything that says CCI or Blazer on it! It will absolutely not tolerate anything Federal (sloping shoulder on the rim I think). Most Remington will function, but not for too long because it is so dirty. I haven't tried WWB yet. Just picked some the other day, and hope to get to the range soon with it. As far as sub-sonics go, the SR22 seems to love them. The SR22 is available with athreaded barrel though I haven't seen one yet. It's a great fun gun. I've even carried it accasionly. It's that accurate. I believe that accuracy is every bit as important as pure stopping power in a defensive situation. With the SR22 I am far more accurate with double and triple taps than with my Shield and my G19. Don't get me wrong, if i've going south of 96th St. I will have one or both of the 9mms with me.

My SR22 will not work with anything but high velocity 22lr.
    I have heard that they will work with sub-sonics, but not mine.
    This also applies to a friends SR22. Neither has a threaded barrel.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I do not like the way the mags are a pain in the ass to seat in the 22/45. My kid had difficulty with the gun and I didn't like it myself. I'd insert and drop the mag afew times in whatever gun your looking at

TT, Is your 22/45 a Mark III? I have the same issue with my boy. I am blaming it on the Mark III mag drop safety. I just haven't made a bushing to replace the space it takes up it yet to find out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    TT, Is your 22/45 a Mark III? I have the same issue with my boy. I am blaming it on the Mark III mag drop safety. I just haven't made a bushing to replace the space it takes up it yet to find out.

I understand there is a modification required to alleviate this.

Top Bottom