• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm sharing this experience for any other Glock 21SF owners who may have similar issues.

This was my first handgun purchase. It's the model with the slightly shorter frame, ambidextrous mag release and Picatinny rail. I've been carrying it daily for about 5 years now. Great gun.

The only issue I've had is the unreliable mag release. The button is really difficult to press, and sometimes sticks in place. After thorough research, I come to find out that many people share this complaint about this model. Apparently Glock only manufactured a limited number of them and dropped the design when issues became wide-spread.

Interestingly, they are offering replacement service, free of charge, for these handguns. I called today and the gentleman offered to replace the frame with one without the ambidextrous mag release, as well as replace both magazines (it requires special magazines). The only thing I'll pay is shipping costs to send it to them. He said it would probably be a 2-4 week turnaround time.

My only complaint is that I'll have a gun with mismatched serial numbers, and I'm really not sure how big a deal that is. I have heard that some folks were offered an exchange for a new Gen 4 Glock 21, so I'm going to attempt to negotiate for that once they've had a chance to look at it. I might even pay for the upgrade if they're willing, I've read great things about the Gen 4.

Hopefully this will be helpful for any other INGO members who may have this issue. I am very pleased with Glock's customer service so far.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Not sure if anyone cared, but I promised an update:

Glock had me ship them the gun. Apparently you're required to ship it overnight express, so it cost me $70 for shipping alone. That's the only downside.

Once it arrived there, I called them to discuss it. They offered me a frame upgrade to a Glock 21 frame without the ambidextrous mag release, or a rebuild kit that was supposed to correct the issues it had. I haggled a bit and talked them into a 'rebuilt' model of the Gen 4 Glock 21 instead. He said this typically meant an unfired model that was displayed at shows or something.

It arrived today; I'm loving it! I know the trigger reach is supposed to be the same length, but this thing feels MUCH better in my relatively small hands. The dual recoil spring system looked interesting, I'll be curious to see how it affects the performance.

They transferred my trijicon sites to the new one. They also sent 3 mags in place of the two I sent in, as well as the box, paperwork, mag loader, and everything. The whole kit, and it looked and felt brand new. Turnaround time was a total of about 9 days from door to door.

Glock service is superb. They definitely got themselves a satisfied customer.

Steve

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Glad to hear they took care of you. They've been pretty consistent in their quality customer service in my experience.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Good news for you and Congrats! Especially glad to hear this since I bought my first Glock just a couple of weeks ago. A Gen 3 21SF with a single mag release. Mags on this one drop free and no resistance on the button. I just installed a Ghost Rocket 3.5 trigger kit but kept the heavier firing pin spring for reliability. It dropped the trigger from 6 pounds to 4.8 pounds with a clean break and shorter reset.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Glad to hear they took care of you. They've been pretty consistent in their quality customer service in my experience.

Good to hear. I've been carrying this for 4 years now, I love the gun and it's nice to know Glock stands behind them.

Good news for you and Congrats! Especially glad to hear this since I bought my first Glock just a couple of weeks ago. A Gen 3 21SF with a single mag release. Mags on this one drop free and no resistance on the button. I just installed a Ghost Rocket 3.5 trigger kit but kept the heavier firing pin spring for reliability. It dropped the trigger from 6 pounds to 4.8 pounds with a clean break and shorter reset.

Interesting. Sounds like yours has been repaired already. How's the new trigger? Shot it yet?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Sounds like I'll be making a call to Georgia... Thanks for the info, OP!

Wondering if they called you when it arrived or if you had to call them?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Glad I could help!

I did have to do a bit of haggling to get the gen 4, your mileage may vary. Hope it works out!

To tell the truth, I would have been happy with just a new frame considering how old the gun is.

Also, mention that you're a bit unhappy to have a gun with mismatched serial numbers. When they offer a rebuilt gen 3, offer to pay for an upgrade to a Gen 4. They wouldn't let me pay.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Glad to hear glock took care of you.

Now for the buzz kill, gen4 glock 21's also had their problems. Some of them have a weak extraction problem, brass will hit you in the face or forearm. Mine was flawless for the first few hundred rounds, then all of a sudden it started throwing brass at me. It never failed to fire or go into battery, just weak eratic case ejection. Not all of them do it, just something to keep an eye on.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I just saw this thread or I would have responded earlier when you first posted about your G21. I have had 4 G21's over the years. 2 were Gen 2's, a Gen 4, and my current one, a Gen 3 SF. The G21 is probably my favorite of the Glocks, and the Gen 3 SF with the ambi mag release and Picatinny rail is one I would love to add to my collection, even if it did not work well. Too bad that you lost it, but glad to hear you are happy with your Gen 4.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ... But, did you call them or they call you when it arrived?

There is a spot for 'comments' on the return form. I asked them to call me when it arrived (as instructed by the guy on the phone). I ended up calling the day it arrived anyways.

Glad to hear glock took care of you.

Now for the buzz kill, gen4 glock 21's also had their problems. Some of them have a weak extraction problem, brass will hit you in the face or forearm. Mine was flawless for the first few hundred rounds, then all of a sudden it started throwing brass at me. It never failed to fire or go into battery, just weak eratic case ejection. Not all of them do it, just something to keep an eye on.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for this. Do you know if Glock corrected it on later productions of this model? How long have you had yours?

I just saw this thread or I would have responded earlier when you first posted about your G21. I have had 4 G21's over the years. 2 were Gen 2's, a Gen 4, and my current one, a Gen 3 SF. The G21 is probably my favorite of the Glocks, and the Gen 3 SF with the ambi mag release and Picatinny rail is one I would love to add to my collection, even if it did not work well. Too bad that you lost it, but glad to hear you are happy with your Gen 4.

You know, I loved the gun. The Picatinny rail gave it a little boost in the looks department, and it was a bit more of a rare conversation piece. But this is my primary handgun and I needed it to be reliable, and I had very little confidence in my ability to remove and insert magazines under pressure with the issues it had.

I will say that the gun feels better in my hand than the Gen 3, but I HATE the texture of the grip. It rubs pretty bad on my side when I carry it.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'm not exactly sure of the history of my Gen 3 21SF (slim frame). It has only one mag release but the serial numbers match on the frame and the barrel. Strange thing is the serial starts with XXR on both. Maybe this is normal in their lineup of serials or not ?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    ... But, did you call them or they call you when it arrived?

I'm not exactly sure of the history of my Gen 3 21SF (slim frame). It has only one mag release but the serial numbers match on the frame and the barrel. Strange thing is the serial starts with XXR on both. Maybe this is normal in their lineup of serials or not ?

I think only a small number of the gen 3 21SF model had the ambidextrous release. And the rail.

I also mentioned to the guy that I occasionally experienced failure to feed. He said it was fairly common because the magazine wasn't seating properly. Another reason I didn't trust it.

I wouldn't have wanted to keep it for anything other than a range toy.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I've had it for a little more than a year. Everything I've found about the problem has been hit or miss. Some people have sent it back to glock multiple times, and still experience the problem,others have just put in aftermarket extractors and for some it fixed the problem. Most people think it's an extractor problem or the channel for the extractor being too loose. Glock hasn't said anything about it, but they are trying to take care of anyone with the problem. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me, can clarify it better. I've never been able to find anything definitive.

I'm not a glock hater, far from it. I really like my 21, but some of them do have the issue. Just wanted to give you a heads up, and to ruin your feel good thread.:)

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have one of these 21sf-p. I've never had an issue it. But I've read too much about failures with these that I would never trust it as a carry gun.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Just wanted to give you a heads up, and to ruin your feel good thread.:)

**** you and your loose extractor!

Haha it's cool, hopefully Glock will take care of it if it happens to mine. Actually, I'd hope they would have already fixed it before they shipped it out but who knows.

I suppose a weak extraction is preferable to full blown failures as I was experiencing before.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have one of these 21sf-p. I've never had an issue it. But I've read too much about failures with these that I would never trust it as a carry gun.

Yeah, that's why I sent it in. I don't have any interest in 'collectible' Glocks. If I can't rely on it, I don't want it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    To those who may come across this and need/want the info:

If you ship a handgun yourself, the common carrier (can't use USPS as a non-FFL holder) will bend you over for their policy of over-night shipping for handguns.

If you want, you can have an FFL-holder ship it for you via USPS and it should be in the 'hood of $25. The gun should also be able to come back to you directly unless a serial number has changed.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    To those who may come across this and need/want the info:

If you ship a handgun yourself, the common carrier (can't use USPS as a non-FFL holder) will bend you over for their policy of over-night shipping for handguns.

If you want, you can have an FFL-holder ship it for you via USPS and it should be in the 'hood of $25. The gun should also be able to come back to you directly unless a serial number has changed.

Darn, wish I had known this beforehand. Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom