• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shanenindy24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have been doing some homework on a few sites for sometime now. I am looking into purchasing my first SIG. After holding many sigs are numerous gun shops I have them narrowed down to the 229R & 2022 both in .40 cal. During my research I found many pros and cons of each weapon.. but what I have not found is how each weapon fires compared to its counterpart.

My questions for those who have fired or owned BOTH of these Sigs are:

How does the 2022 feel with a full mag while firing? Does it remain top heavy or balance out?

Any issues out of either?

Would you say the 229 is worth the extra $350-400?

Any more details you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    ^^

Im no expert but really???

I own a 2022... Havent heard a bad review yet as far as functionality. It comes with night sites and is lighter. The trigger pull is wonderful. I feel you would be splitting hairs comparing the two. Both would get the job done for as long as youd need. I paid 400 for mine..

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Go with the 229. it is a better built and more durable weapon.

I'd like to see your resources supporting that statement. While the "classic" sig line are fantastic guns, the 2022 hangs right up there with them. The 2022 is the most underrated sig. I'll go out on a limb here and say I'd take a 2022 over a P320

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    BTW OP, you can buy a PD trade in P229 from CDNN for <$500. But I'll be honest, at $500 for the P229, I'd still take a 2022 for $100 cheaper

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Oh i would not tell you not to buy a 2022. It is a fine pistol. It is also a hugely underrated pistol. However it is a bit unfair to compare it to a classic series Sig either. The 2022 in my experience has a much worse trigger than the classic series guns. Maybe not at first but the classic series wear in very very nicely as well as actually having an aftermarket to support them. The classic series guns in my opinion shoot better and manage recoil better (may just be how it fits my hand).

Either way you cant really go wrong but i'd push you towards a classic series gun if it wont break the bank. Id take a long look at the M11a1 as well.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The M11-A1 is smart marketing tool for Sig. They take a P229 put P228 grip panels on it and engrave M11-A1 on the slide and put a cool looking bar code sticker thingy on and charge $100 more. The real M11-A1 is carbon folded slide P228.;)

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Good comments above. Have had both, have shoot both. IMO, its an apples and oranges even though they are both Sig. The 229 is a sweet .40 but the 2022 has its pluses as well. I would definatley try to get to a range and try both. Looks like Mark over at Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. has some CPO .40 229'Rs for $549. It I needed a railed 229 I would seriously consider it. His inventory varies so you have to check in often. FWIW....

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The 229 is without a doubt a nicer gun than the 2022. That said, the 2022 is very underrated. So basically if money wasn't a big deal its the 229 all day. I have personally shot them side by side. My buddy has both. The 229 doesn't have the short reset trigger and I would still say it is one of my top favorites for a handgun... Awesome pistol. I am also not sure what the difference is in weight between the two. But I would assume the 2022 is lighter if that means something to you for carrying it or whatever. But a 229 is super hard to beat. Oh and both of those are in 9mm. It's the way to go in my opinion with these guns but that's just me!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd like to see your resources supporting that statement. While the "classic" sig line are fantastic guns, the 2022 hangs right up there with them. The 2022 is the most underrated sig. I'll go out on a limb here and say I'd take a 2022 over a P320

I mean if you'd rather have it over the striker fired... I wouldn't knock you for wanting the 2022 over the P320.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a P229 in .40. It's a very accurate but not a easy gun to master. Since it size and the recoil of the .40 is more frisky than the 9mm.

Shanenindy24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts on both SIGs.

I understand how similar these guns are. Its very hard to pick one over the other.

I have a P229 in .40. It's a very accurate but not a easy gun to master. Since it size and the recoil of the .40 is more frisky than the 9mm.

Could you elaborate more on "not a easy gun to master" for me?

Im not completely sold on a .40, but I do plan to have this weapon laying on the night stand next to me for home defense. I personally have always preferred the knock down power of a .40 over the 9mm.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington

I understand how similar these guns are. Its very hard to pick one over the other.

Im not completely sold on a .40, but I do plan to have this weapon laying on the night stand next to me for home defense. I personally have always preferred the knock down power of a .40 over the 9mm.

Well. Since it is a smaller gun you would notice the recoil more. But if you practice more often then you are good to go. It is a good weapon for self defense.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Don't underestimate the recent bullet technology. If this was 1999, I would agree to carry the 40 over 9mm, but now 9mm bullets have advanced in such a way that the arguments between the two calibers are negate.

Top Bottom