• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I recently purchased a police trade in P229 from Sportsman's Outdoor Super Store. Indy Trading Post took care of the transfer (their FFL was already on file) and I picked it up this morning. ITP was out of .357 Sig, so a quick jaunt over to Beech Grove Firearms for two boxes of Remington 125gr FMJ and back to ITP to hit the range. ITP just upgraded their range lighting, and its a much nicer place to shoot for groups now.

First off, here's the gun:

20150304_120703_zpsea9ee2ef.jpg

It's got some holster wear, but nothing that suggests it was abused. The rails are in good shape, and while it was a bit dirty it was lubed. It came with two factory 12 round magazines. I put some grease on the rails and shot 100 rounds.

I had no idea what to expect from the .357 Sig cartridge, as I'd never shot one. I had been around them during a few IDPA shoots in the early 2000's and knew they were loud and had a bit of muzzle blast, but that was about it. So, I hung up a Dirty Bird target and ran it out to 7 yards, loaded up 5, and took my time.

20150304_121016_zps76dbb91e.jpg

That's just a fuzz over 1" center to center. I was happy with that. The first shot was in double action and is the one that's the second from the top. The rest were shot single action. I wheeled the target back in, took the photo, and then ran it to the back of the range. I think that's about 12y. I loaded up the two magazines and started speeding up a bit.

20150304_121639_zpsc511212c.jpg

This was done at a steady cadence, I'd estimate about 3 shots per 2 seconds, as I got used to the reset point and the recoil.

I did throw 3 as shown, and it was due to two reasons First, I was tightening my right hand too much and milked the grip a bit. Second, I was overcompensating for recoil at first and pushing the gun down a bit. The recoil is minimal. Especially shooting it back to back with the .45 it was very soft shooting. I didn't have a .40 with me to compare it to, but I'm confident its less recoil than the .40, but more than a 9mm. While it is noisy, its all bark and no bite from the shooter's end. I had planned to get a .40 barrel for this gun, and I still may, but I'm going to give serious consideration to the .357 Sig.

Then it was time to play with the Haley Tactical targets I downloaded and printed.

20150304_132916_zps91f65bee.jpg

I ran this out to about 4 yards and started at the bottom. On the bottom row I shot the first shot double action then tried to shoot the same dot again in single action, then move down the line in single action. The next two row ups I sped up a bit and tried to put one in each dot, but was getting further out than I wanted. You can see #5 is closer to the bottom row than the row I was shooting at, so I slowed down a bit. I started on the next to the top line, got the first 3 in the dot and then put the second two a little low. I was getting tense and again my grip was too tight. I didn't shoot the top row as it was super close to the hanger and I didn't want to accidentally shoot the range's hardware.

Between shooting those lines, I shot a transition drill on this target, which I hung on the other side of the target hanger. The upper left circle is shot in double action, then work my way clockwise around the others in single action. Yes, the top have 5 each and the bottom only have 2. I ran out of ammo during the last cycle. The black circles are 2" across.

20150304_140449_zps837921ad.jpg

So, all in all I'm well satisfied with this gun. It's right up there with my P220, and this is hard for me to admit but I think I might shoot this one better, at least at slow fire. I've been a single stack .45 fan for so long and I've got so much invested in my P220 and 1911 that its a difficult prejudice to overcome and say "this is probably better." But this gun has the potential to be better. I won't know for sure until I get a holster and get to the outdoor range where I can do some more instinctive shooting at speeds, work the steels, etc. I suspect the factory Sig sights on the P229 are more precise for slow fire, but will not be as fast and easy to acquire as the Trijicon HD's on my current EDC, the P220. The reduced recoil is noticeable, though, and I'm curious to see how my split times will be.

The trigger is exactly what all the classic P-series Sigs have. A heavy but smooth double action with a clean break and an imperceptible amount of over travel. This Sig does not have the Short Reset Trigger, which I'm a fan of, and I'll probably upgrade it if I get serious about carrying it.

The grip is the standard Sig pebble grain plastic, a lined front strap (horizontal lines instead of the vertical on the P220), and oddly there's a lanyard attachment point. I've never noticed this on other Sigs, but admittedly don't normally look for it, so I'm not sure if this is standard on the P229 or the PD ordered them this way.

All in all, its the got the quality feel I expect from a Sig, it functions like it should, it feels good in the hand, and it shoots quite nicely. I'm happy.

Oh, and just to drive a few select people nuts:

It's combat accurate.
    It's a tack driver.
    Anything cheaper sucks and will get you killed.
    Anything more expensive is for snobs and show offs.
    .357 Sig is the best caliber, and whatever you carry sucks.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I recently purchased a police trade in P229 from Sportsman's Outdoor Super Store. Indy Trading Post took care of the transfer (their FFL was already on file) and I picked it up this morning. ITP was out of .357 Sig, so a quick jaunt over to Beech Grove Firearms for two boxes of Remington 125gr FMJ and back to ITP to hit the range. ITP just upgraded their range lighting, and its a much nicer place to shoot for groups now.

First off, here's the gun:

20150304_120703_zpsea9ee2ef.jpg

It's got some holster wear, but nothing that suggests it was abused. The rails are in good shape, and while it was a bit dirty it was lubed. It came with two factory 12 round magazines. I put some grease on the rails and shot 100 rounds.

I had no idea what to expect from the .357 Sig cartridge, as I'd never shot one. I had been around them during a few IDPA shoots in the early 2000's and knew they were loud and had a bit of muzzle blast, but that was about it. So, I hung up a Dirty Bird target and ran it out to 7 yards, loaded up 5, and took my time.

20150304_121016_zps76dbb91e.jpg

That's just a fuzz over 1" center to center. I was happy with that. The first shot was in double action and is the one that's the second from the top. The rest were shot single action. I wheeled the target back in, took the photo, and then ran it to the back of the range. I think that's about 12y. I loaded up the two magazines and started speeding up a bit.

20150304_121639_zpsc511212c.jpg

This was done at a steady cadence, I'd estimate about 3 shots per 2 seconds, as I got used to the reset point and the recoil.

I did throw 3 as shown, and it was due to two reasons First, I was tightening my right hand too much and milked the grip a bit. Second, I was overcompensating for recoil at first and pushing the gun down a bit. The recoil is minimal. Especially shooting it back to back with the .45 it was very soft shooting. I didn't have a .40 with me to compare it to, but I'm confident its less recoil than the .40, but more than a 9mm. While it is noisy, its all bark and no bite from the shooter's end. I had planned to get a .40 barrel for this gun, and I still may, but I'm going to give serious consideration to the .357 Sig.

Then it was time to play with the Haley Tactical targets I downloaded and printed.

20150304_132916_zps91f65bee.jpg

I ran this out to about 4 yards and started at the bottom. On the bottom row I shot the first shot double action then tried to shoot the same dot again in single action, then move down the line in single action. The next two row ups I sped up a bit and tried to put one in each dot, but was getting further out than I wanted. You can see #5 is closer to the bottom row than the row I was shooting at, so I slowed down a bit. I started on the next to the top line, got the first 3 in the dot and then put the second two a little low. I was getting tense and again my grip was too tight. I didn't shoot the top row as it was super close to the hanger and I didn't want to accidentally shoot the range's hardware.

Between shooting those lines, I shot a transition drill on this target, which I hung on the other side of the target hanger. The upper left circle is shot in double action, then work my way clockwise around the others in single action. Yes, the top have 5 each and the bottom only have 2. I ran out of ammo during the last cycle. The black circles are 2" across.

20150304_140449_zps837921ad.jpg

So, all in all I'm well satisfied with this gun. It's right up there with my P220, and this is hard for me to admit but I think I might shoot this one better, at least at slow fire. I've been a single stack .45 fan for so long and I've got so much invested in my P220 and 1911 that its a difficult prejudice to overcome and say "this is probably better." But this gun has the potential to be better. I won't know for sure until I get a holster and get to the outdoor range where I can do some more instinctive shooting at speeds, work the steels, etc. I suspect the factory Sig sights on the P229 are more precise for slow fire, but will not be as fast and easy to acquire as the Trijicon HD's on my current EDC, the P220. The reduced recoil is noticeable, though, and I'm curious to see how my split times will be.

The trigger is exactly what all the classic P-series Sigs have. A heavy but smooth double action with a clean break and an imperceptible amount of over travel. This Sig does not have the Short Reset Trigger, which I'm a fan of, and I'll probably upgrade it if I get serious about carrying it.

The grip is the standard Sig pebble grain plastic, a lined front strap (horizontal lines instead of the vertical on the P220), and oddly there's a lanyard attachment point. I've never noticed this on other Sigs, but admittedly don't normally look for it, so I'm not sure if this is standard on the P229 or the PD ordered them this way.

All in all, its the got the quality feel I expect from a Sig, it functions like it should, it feels good in the hand, and it shoots quite nicely. I'm happy.

Oh, and just to drive a few select people nuts:

It's combat accurate.
    It's a tack driver.
    Anything cheaper sucks and will get you killed.
    Anything more expensive is for snobs and show offs.
    .357 Sig is the best caliber, and whatever you carry sucks.

Great writeup: You did enough accurate shooting that you are sure it will do the job. The Sig .357 is one of the few calibers I have never shot - don't really know much about the caliber.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, a great handgun.
    I've been a fan of the 357 Sig since I first shot it last year.

Last Fall, I bought a P229 in 357 Sig and it's been my carry handgun since.
    124 Grain bullets at 1500fps is great!

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Very nice write-up on a nice 229! That .357 Sig round sure has a bark to it doesn't it. Its fun to shoot. How do the rails look? Its a good indication of usage and how well it was maintained.

You can find .40 bbls for the 229 if you keep your eye out for them.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Nice gun. How much was it? Most of the trade ins I see are still over priced over here. Try some Buffalo Bore ammo and see how well that thing hits.

Can a 40 cal 226 barrel drop in for cheaper shooting?

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    My favorite gun, and a great caliber. The gun is my favorite carry gun because it is not too large, but a handful. It's a full capacity, and has the double action / single action design. No safety, no need for one with that long strong first shot, but I can still hit the target accurately with that fist shot. I don't think you could find a safer, better carry gun. Congratulations, nice new pistol. I am considering the same gun, but in 9mm. Mostly because the 9 is cheaper to buy and I have lots of it already. The .357 is a great defense round, fast with plenty of expansion.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Very nice write-up on a nice 229! That .357 Sig round sure has a bark to it doesn't it. Its fun to shoot. How do the rails look? Its a good indication of usage and how well it was maintained.

You can find .40 bbls for the 229 if you keep your eye out for them.

I learned the Sig rail thing awhile back from Grayguns article on checking used Sigs*, and its always the first thing I check. I popped the slide off and looked before I did anything else. The right rail is still completely shiny black (stage 2). The left rail has an area about 1/2" long that's barely worn and is the dark gold/orange (stage 3). I'll use grease on the rails and it'll probably outlive me. I'd say its like most police guns, carried a lot and shot a little. Other than the night sights being really dim, it doesn't look old. I'll try to put up some better pics later.

Nice gun. How much was it? Most of the trade ins I see are still over priced over here. Try some Buffalo Bore ammo and see how well that thing hits.

Can a 40 cal 226 barrel drop in for cheaper shooting?

$419.38 + $15 transfer fee at ITP. For a two tone Sig with two factory magazines, I don't think I got hurt.

A .40 barrel will drop in and will use the same mags. I see several places that had them for $80-$90, but they are sold out. I'll probably put a WTB ad up soon.

*Guide to Sig Sauer pistol inspection - Grayguns by Bruce Gray

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    The 357sig is a great caliber. I have a Glock 32 and it's one of my favorites. I also have the 40 barrel for it, although I've never used it in it yet.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I did some steel work today and the gun is fast and accurate. I didn't use a timer today, but its real close between the P220 and P229. I'd give the P220 the edge right now just due to the Trijicon HD sights being faster to acquire and the SRT being a little faster to run, but I think we're talking hundreths of a second on split times. I'll get my new timer before my next outing and we'll see.

The gun felt good, though, and once I got used to the slightly longer reset I was able to run it very well.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a P226 and P229 both .40's of the two I shoot the P229 best, it might be the SRT trigger guess I need an SRT in the P226 you know for science!:ar15:

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Great write up, thanks for taking the time to share the information with us. I've never shot .357sig but it seems most people who do enjoy the cartridge and it interests me greatly. I wish there were more choices for the caliber, but the 229 would seem to be my best option for finding something affordable in the caliber, I think you did great on the price myself anyway. I'd really like a 239 but those seem to command a premium so I imagine if I ever do jump it would be a 229.

My only issue is I'm left handed and the de cocker would be awakard to use if I wanted or needed to. Not a killer issue but still bugs me and I don't think I'd like the dak version but who knows. Glad you are enjoying it, maybe one day I'll end up with something similar!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    BBI any updates on the P229. I was inspired by your post to check out SOS. Unfortunately the price had gone up by $50 and they were out of them, anyway. Would you buy from these folks via web? It sounds like you were able to inspect yours prior to committing to the sale. And have you ever used their 'notify me when this becomes available' option? Was it a timely notification, if so?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI any updates on the P229. I was inspired by your post to check out SOS. Unfortunately the price had gone up by $50 and they were out of them, anyway. Would you buy from these folks via web? It sounds like you were able to inspect yours prior to committing to the sale. And have you ever used their 'notify me when this becomes available' option? Was it a timely notification, if so?

I inspected it at the FFL I had it shipped to. There's really no way to see your particular one before it ships that I'm aware of.

This is the first time I dealt with them, and they were quick to communicate, quick to ship, and everything went smooth as silk. They had a long list of preferred FFLs, so the checkout process was super easy. I'd deal with them again in a heartbeat.

As far as updates, its ran fine. I'm shooting it as well as I shoot my P220.

20150327_130133_zpsedea6553.jpg

I do want to get some grippier grips for it, and at some point will likely change out the dim night sights, but its done everything I wanted it to do so far.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I inspected it at the FFL I had it shipped to. There's really no way to see your particular one before it ships that I'm aware of.

This is the first time I dealt with them, and they were quick to communicate, quick to ship, and everything went smooth as silk. They had a long list of preferred FFLs, so the checkout process was super easy. I'd deal with them again in a heartbeat.

As far as updates, its ran fine. I'm shooting it as well as I shoot my P220.

20150327_130133_zpsedea6553.jpg

I do want to get some grippier grips for it, and at some point will likely change out the dim night sights, but its done everything I wanted it to do so far.

Thanking you!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I always said if I found something I shoot better than my single stack .45, I'd carry it. I have. Up close times are dead heats, within .01-.03 of each other. Basically there's more difference in each pull than there is between each gun. Split times are about the same. Accuracy is slightly better with the P229, likely because of the sights....

So I qualified with it today. I'm not retiring my P220...but the P229 is going to start seeing time on duty.

Top Bottom