• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revo357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Perry County
    Hello everyone, I'm strongly considering carrying a smaller backup gun and just wanting some advice on what gun, placement, and holster, or even if there's a real need to carry a second handgun?:dunno: What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Lucas B.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Welcome to INGO.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/243087-back-up-gun.html?highlight=back+up+gun

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...uns-need-some-help.html?highlight=back+up+gun

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...estion-back-up-gun.html?highlight=back+up+gun

There are lots of threads on this topic with loads of good info.

When I carry a BUG, it's a S&W Bodyguard in .38 spl. Generally in a front pants pocket or in the inner chest jacket pocket (driving).

20150118_152259_zps1jsdzlcz.jpg

Last edited:

Revo357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Perry County
    Welcome to INGO.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/243087-back-up-gun.html?highlight=back+up+gun

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...uns-need-some-help.html?highlight=back+up+gun

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...estion-back-up-gun.html?highlight=back+up+gun

There are lots of threads on this topic with loads of good info.

When I carry a BUG, it's a S&W Bodyguard in .38 spl. Generally in a front pants pocket or in the inner chest jacket pocket.

Great! Thank you for the links.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Its not a bad idea. depends on what u feel comfortable with. A small 380 auto or a 38 spl revolver seem to be the main choices.
    OR some people carry a smaller Version of their main carry (like a full size m&p then carry an m&pc , or a glock 19 and a glock 26). This seems like overkill (and a lot of weight) for civilian ccw.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    No, my glock 19 is all I carry.
    If I was a cop or worked in a gun shop, so something like that... then yeah, I'da carry a back up.
    Probably a 5 shot aluminum frame 38spl.

Revo357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Perry County
    I've been considering the glock 42 or a lightweight J-frame in a ankle holster. I really do like the idea of magazine compatibility since I carry a glock 23, but also carrying a glock 27 seems like a lot to me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I always carry an extra mag... But frequently, basically all of the time carry a bug. More like a little pocket gun, I just look at it as a bonus more so than anything having the main with extra mags. I wouldn't feel weird without it, but at this point it's almost like not wearing a watch if I don't have it. That may change though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    No, my glock 19 is all I carry.
    If I was a cop or worked in a gun shop, so something like that... then yeah, I'da carry a back up.
    *snip*

This is my feeling on the subject. I carry a spare magazine to be prepared for an unlikely failure so I feel very confident that my 25 little 9mm Gold Dot "Diplomats" will settle the argument.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nope. Completely understand why people would and should but I don't. Good chance I might be picking up a Galco ankle holster off of a buddy. If so I might occasionally carry a J frame in that fashion. I have tried off side pocket carry but it is awkward and messes with how I normally carry things in my pocket. Weak side belt carry makes the most sense and one I have considered. I am leaning towards the ankle holster because I sit and drive quite a bit.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Nope. Completely understand why people would and should but I don't. Good chance I might be picking up a Galco ankle holster off of a buddy. If so I might occasionally carry a J frame in that fashion. I have tried off side pocket carry but it is awkward and messes with how I normally carry things in my pocket. Weak side belt carry makes the most sense and one I have considered. I am leaning towards the ankle holster because I sit and drive quite a bit.

I have the Galco ankle glove lite for my Glock 26. It's awkward, and you HAVE to wear jeans/pants with baggy legs. Otherwise it's difficult and awkward to draw.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have the Galco ankle glove lite for my Glock 26. It's awkward, and you HAVE to wear jeans/pants with baggy legs. Otherwise it's difficult and awkward to draw.

I don't own any skinny jeans. :D I agree it is awkward to draw. Overall I think weak side cross draw would make the most sense. But I am too lazy for that level of commitment.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Support side using a hybrid holster for the Shield just behind the spare mags... No cross-draw for me!

Not sure why but this Galco really caught my eye. I am just out of holster money!

HORNET BELT HOLSTER: Holsters & Ammo Carriers: Crossdraw Holsters at Galco

I'm thinking far enough back so I can access with my weak hand as a cavalry draw. But still get to it with my strong hand. Problem is that is where my spare mag rides. Only one for me Powder. Your gun and two mages carry 6x the firepower of my gun with a reload. Some day I might run out of ammo and die.

Top Bottom