• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd been looking at these for awhile, and there must have been a bunch imported recently because I've gotten emails from Classic Firearms, AIM and (I think) Palmetto State. I wound up getting this one from Classic. AIM's was 10 dollars cheaper, but they wanted 10 dollars more for "hand select" so it was a wash. Has the classic 1911 feel, but the inner workings are more like a High Power. Action feels buttery smooth, and I like the beveled mag well. Now I just need to get it to the range! :)

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    If you picked up a colt 45 in one hand and the Star in the other hand, would you feel much difference between the 2????

Or I guess I am asking, without looking would you know which one you were holding???

And nice gun, Better finish then some I have been seeing around town..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you picked up a colt 45 in one hand and the Star in the other hand, would you feel much difference between the 2????

Or I guess I am asking, without looking would you know which one you were holding???

Well, without a Colt to compare it to, I'm not sure, but it definitely feels like a 1911. I would say they would feel pretty similar, but of course the Star doesn't have the grip safety. I might get a set of wood grips to replace the plastic ones though.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County

You would by weight for one thing. Remember 45 and 9 or 9mm Largo are different in weight and can be felt if they are loaded easily, at least for me. The Star is well made though and it would depend on how new the Colt was to tell it other ways. Also you don't find a lot of Stars it great finish condition but they aren't hard to get. Further an original finish on a weapon that was carried by the Police after the Civil War and WWII would likely show carry tpe wear too. These aren't new pistols so you can't really compare them but they were made on Colt machines, some at least, so they do have a lot of similarities. I still have a couple but I am a far bigger fan of the Astra line myself.

those are original grips so save them if you do wind up replacing them. :)

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Nice pistol! You have to love those Stars. I have owned several and still own a few and they have all been good, accurate dependable shooters.......well except for one I guess. I did have some problems with a WWII, Bulgarian contracted, Nazi Model B. It had some feeding problems when I got it but a different magazine and the use of steel cased ammunition took care of that issue for the most part. Have fun with it!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Aren't these the ones where you need to watch out for a red extractor or am I thinking of a different firearm? I too would like to get my hands on one but would like to shoot one first to see if I even like it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Useless trivia here, but the gun that Samuel L. Jackson carried in "Pulp Fiction" was a stainless Star Model B.
    The part near the end of the movie where he describes the gun as "Mr. nine millimeter" initially made me think that was a mistake, until I checked out the entry on IMFDB, where they explained that the external extractor and the smaller bore indicated it was a Model B.
    Sure enough, the stills from the movie don't lie.
    Travolta's gun was a stainless Auto Ordnance 1911A1.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You would by weight for one thing. Remember 45 and 9 or 9mm Largo are different in weight and can be felt if they are loaded easily, at least for me. The Star is well made though and it would depend on how new the Colt was to tell it other ways. Also you don't find a lot of Stars it great finish condition but they aren't hard to get. Further an original finish on a weapon that was carried by the Police after the Civil War and WWII would likely show carry tpe wear too. These aren't new pistols so you can't really compare them but they were made on Colt machines, some at least, so they do have a lot of similarities. I still have a couple but I am a far bigger fan of the Astra line myself.

those are original grips so save them if you do wind up replacing them. :)

I like Astras too and hope to get one eventually. Not sure if I'll go with a 400 in 9mm Largo or the 600 in 9mm Luger. The 600 would be more practical, but I have a couple other guns in Largo, so I could support it easily enough. I will definitely hang on to the grips if and when I decide to replace them. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Aren't these the ones where you need to watch out for a red extractor or am I thinking of a different firearm? I too would like to get my hands on one but would like to shoot one first to see if I even like it.

I haven't heard anything about a red extractor. Maybe that's a different pistol?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    You could always make a drive up to winamac for on of our M&S's. Right now since I'm supposed to be restricted from buying another firearm due to meeting my quota for the year as set by the boss figure I may be able to squeeze out a sup $300 purchase if they feel good and have great reviews as for reliability. I've looked at these, the CZ 83's and Beretta 84's as other options.

Top Bottom