• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    First off, welcome to INGO.

Second, IBCM (In before churchmouse)...if you talk about 1911's in here he's bound to show up eventually.

Third, to answer your question before CM says it...Springfield RO

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Yea, Ill second that Springfield RO, I don't have one, but a friend bought one a while back and after handling it, thats a whole lot of gun for the money. If its just a plinking gun, Id consider one in 9mm, as i personally think a 9mm 1911 is most pleasant shooting set up ever.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    Several Kimber models can be bought for that range, or try Ruger those are both good quality 1911's , do a lot of research and read reviews, and get some hands on experience before making a decision, if it doesn't feel right, rule it out.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Welcome to INGO. If you have a while, read about Andy's 1911. There is some good ideas on how to pick up a good one on the down low.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    In the price range, the Springfield RO and the Ruger SR1911 are great choices. For just a bit more, you might look at the Springfield Loaded. Good luck and be careful, once you buy your first, more are sure to follow :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Owning most everything that has been mentioned.........What are you using it for.
    EDC carry/range time.........SR1911. I have a commander and I like it. I would like to get it back from my SIL.......:)
    Range mainly/enjoyment.......RO hands down. Rear sight makes it hard and uncomfortable for some to EDC
    Anything Springfield will serve you very well.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    With that kind of budget, you've got lots of options.
    What sort of features are you looking for? What's aesthetically pleasing to you in a 1911?
    Aluminum? Stainless steel?
    Stainless? Blued? Bi-tone?
    Extended function levers or stock? Ambi?
    Flat or arched mainspring housing?
    Swept beaver-tail grip safety or stock?
    Spur hammer or enhanced?
    Full trigger or short? Or skeletonized? Or straight?
    Fixed sights or adjustable?
    Contrast? Fiber optic? Night sight?

Figure out what you'd like visually, start picking them up and seeing how they feel in hand (try them all on, just like buying shoes). See how you like the sights/sight picture...go from there.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    You cant go wrong with a ruger or a springfield. I own them both, but if I could have just one it would be the ruger. I like the looks of the ruger over the springfield, but they both function perfectly. The worst problem with 1911's is you cant have just one. They have a strange affect on people and you have to keep buying them.:):

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    First off, welcome to INGO.

Second, IBCM (In before churchmouse)...if you talk about 1911's in here he's bound to show up eventually.

Third, to answer your question before CM says it...Springfield RO

Told ya...;)

Owning most everything that has been mentioned.........What are you using it for.
    EDC carry/range time.........SR1911. I have a commander and I like it. I would like to get it back from my SIL.......:)
    Range mainly/enjoyment.......RO hands down. Rear sight makes it hard and uncomfortable for some to EDC
    Anything Springfield will serve you very well.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    My phone is for Springfield Armory. If it was for carry I would get the mil spec and upgrade the sights. I'm not happy with Ruger's customer service. Springfield really knows there stuff and CS is top notch.

I do have a 300 dollar ATI Commander 1911 and it is a hell of a gun for the money. The fit and finish is tight. Thumb safety is a very crisp click. I couldn't resist after handling the display model. I did have one problem off the start but they fixed it in a week turn around time. It serves as my EDC switching from carrying a full size 1911 for a few years.

Top Bottom