Entry Level 1911, A "Just the Facts, Madam" Model?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone ever consider a basic military-style, reliable piece?

The Tisas is available for $399 OTD. Hickok45 recommends it for an entry level, basic unit.

TISAS Classic 1911-A1 45ACP 5" GI BLACK $399.00 SHIPS FREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK8ffcLL3A

Hickok45 also sees the ATI as a viable entry level unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9GFFryTD7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVw8SHVRBjc

If a person does not need or want a high class piece, but only wants one that will enable one to learn to use the platform, that is accurate, reliable, and durable; if one does not need fancy or need upgrades; what does one look at?

Anyone have thoughts?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    You get what you pay for.. If you plan on shooting it much I would go with one of the RI offerings with a few amenities for a few more dollars.

such as.. Rock Island Armory 1911 Standard FS 9mm 5" Handgun : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Anyone ever consider a basic military-style, reliable piece?

The Tisas is available for $399 OTD. Hickok45 recommends it for an entry level, basic unit.

TISAS Classic 1911-A1 45ACP 5" GI BLACK $399.00 SHIPS FREE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK8ffcLL3A

Hickok45 also sees the ATI as a viable entry level unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9GFFryTD7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVw8SHVRBjc

If a person does not need or want a high class piece, but only wants one that will enable one to learn to use the platform, that is accurate, reliable, and durable; if one does not need fancy or need upgrades; what does one look at?

Anyone have thoughts?
    I don't have much personal experience with Tisas (or Regent, or Girsan), but I agree with the info about ATI. And I'll say the same kudos to Rock Island.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have a Tisas I bought used from another INGO member. IMHO, it is an example of getting a lot more than what you pay for. It runs great, and is accurate. I have an original Colt 1911 made in 1915; just doing a basic strip, all of the parts were interchangeable between the two. The previous owner had done some grinding on the mainspring housing so I purchased a used one off of gunbroker to replace it; it drops right in, nice and tight, no fitting required. GI mags fit perfectly. The previous owner had some aftermarket mags that he included and they need a whack to seat properly, but I blame the mags rather than the gun since the GI mags work fine. I had an old set of 3 dot sights, a loop hammer, and an aluminum trigger. I test fit the hammer and trigger and they dropped right in except that the hole in the hammer for the hammer pin needs to be slightly enlarged. I haven't installed the sights yet, but using a dial caliper they measure the same so I don't expect any issues there either. Colt grips fit fine. Since the previous owner had carried it the finish has a lot of scratches so I am going to strip it and rust blue it myself before I put it all back together so no pics for now, but certainly no regrets on my end. The Turks make good guns. If you get one, do expect to replace the sights. The factory sights are worse than the original GI sights, which is hard to imagine, but they are super tiny to my old eyes!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Tisas I bought used from another INGO member. IMHO, it is an example of getting a lot more than what you pay for. It runs great, and is accurate. I have an original Colt 1911 made in 1915; just doing a basic strip, all of the parts were interchangeable between the two. The previous owner had done some grinding on the mainspring housing so I purchased a used one off of gunbroker to replace it; it drops right in, nice and tight, no fitting required. GI mags fit perfectly. The previous owner had some aftermarket mags that he included and they need a whack to seat properly, but I blame the mags rather than the gun since the GI mags work fine. I had an old set of 3 dot sights, a loop hammer, and an aluminum trigger. I test fit the hammer and trigger and they dropped right in except that the hole in the hammer for the hammer pin needs to be slightly enlarged. I haven't installed the sights yet, but using a dial caliper they measure the same so I don't expect any issues there either. Colt grips fit fine. Since the previous owner had carried it the finish has a lot of scratches so I am going to strip it and rust blue it myself before I put it all back together so no pics for now, but certainly no regrets on my end. The Turks make good guns. If you get one, do expect to replace the sights. The factory sights are worse than the original GI sights, which is hard to imagine, but they are super tiny to my old eyes!

Thanks for the reply! It is very helpful!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Anyone have thoughts?

If you want accurate, reliable and durable I would think you have to spend some money. Of course if you only shoot it occasionally, then it should be "durable" enough to last for awhile.

Not sure what a "high class" piece is, but the Sigs, SA, Colts, Ruger's, Remington's are pistols that I would not consider high class.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "learn the platform". Why can't you learn on a brand that has a little better reputation, warranty and/or resale value? If you like it, you don't have to sell your "entry level" and buy again. And if you don't like it, you should be able to sell it faster and get closer to what you paid for it if you buy one on sale.

Just some food for thought. Buying cheap is not always the best stewardship of your money.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You get what you pay for...

If I wanted a WW2 style basic 1911, the Remington R1 would be high on the list.

I took your advice, after considering all the input from good folks on this thread. I decided not to go cheap with the Tisas. I think it is a good pistol, but it presents challenges with the sights and the thumb guard.

After a great deal of searching, checking out new and used, comparing costs of on-line purchases with prices at local gunshops, handling a bunch of 1911s at Gander Mountain (Eric at the GM on Lima Rd in the Fort was a great help and very patient with a guy who did not buy), I pulled the trigger on this one at ZX Guns in the Fort. $575 OTD after mail-in manufacturer's rebate (includes sales tax and 3% credit care fee).

FYI, GM was offering this Remington for $629 after the manufacturer's rebate. ZX matched that price, and then I got the rebate! I dealt with John at ZX. All business, he was. Guided me to the website for the rebate, helped me identify the exact pistol I wanted and helped with various details. Good man. Good shop.

Thanks :ingo: for your help. Thanks IndyGlockMan for pointing me in the right direction. Now, just need to clean it up and head to the range!

attachment.php

attachment.php

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    About the only 'bad' thing I've yet heard about the Tisas is the snarky 'ya get what ya pay for'.

At the same time, those comments never seem to come from folks who ponied up $5000 - $9000 for a Wilson Combat or something similar. :rolleyes:

Have owned a couple 1911 platform guns, but sold them. Just not a '1911 guy', and I don't 'romanticize' about tools... 'cause they're tools.

If I ever pick up another 1911, I'll go with Colt, 'cause that's the 'real' one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a buddy with a basic R1. It is quite accurate! I really appreciate the more traditional styling and short trigger.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I took your advice, after considering all the input from good folks on this thread. I decided not to go cheap with the Tisas. I think it is a good pistol, but it presents challenges with the sights and the thumb guard.

After a great deal of searching, checking out new and used, comparing costs of on-line purchases with prices at local gunshops, handling a bunch of 1911s at Gander Mountain (Eric at the GM on Lima Rd in the Fort was a great help and very patient with a guy who did not buy), I pulled the trigger on this one at ZX Guns in the Fort. $575 OTD after mail-in manufacturer's rebate (includes sales tax and 3% credit care fee).

FYI, GM was offering this Remington for $629 after the manufacturer's rebate. ZX matched that price, and then I got the rebate! I dealt with John at ZX. All business, he was. Guided me to the website for the rebate, helped me identify the exact pistol I wanted and helped with various details. Good man. Good shop.

Thanks :ingo: for your help. Thanks IndyGlockMan for pointing me in the right direction. Now, just need to clean it up and head to the range!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow! Somebody actually took my advise on INGO... this is a very proud moment indeed. :rockwoot:
    You are very welcome.
    I hope (for my sake) that you are happy with your R1 purchase.
    I think those are a lot of gun for the money and from a good known company with a rich history.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wow! Somebody actually took my advise on INGO... this is a very proud moment indeed. :rockwoot:
    You are very welcome.
    I hope (for my sake) that you are happy with your R1 purchase.
    I think those are a lot of gun for the money and from a good known company with a rich history.

Ya, because if it is a POS you will never hear the end of it. Just ask VERT.:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    From reputation alone I am sure you've made the correct purchase. I owned the Island guns, ATI, etc. I ended up with about the same amount of money as the better guns by the time I got them to reliably shoot accurately.
    I can shoot better than most (I'm sure not all) of the cheaper guns. The tolerances on build just aren't there on a high percentage of them.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    "Hickock says....." Only problem with that is he seems to like everything he's ever handled. Kind of like Guns and Ammo.

Agree. He does like firearms. But I think he is a generally positive person, emphasizing the good things in what he handles and pointing out the weaknesses. I found his assessments helpful and educational.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Classic Firearms has Taurus 1911's on sale right now for 399.00, free shipping. If I only had the money :( but I'm poor... Personally I like Taurus, some don't, all but one of my handguns are Taurus.

Top Bottom