• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I've heard many stories of Police officers going their whole career without ever having to fire their sidearm. So I'm curious how this pertains to many of us. Have you ever had to use your sidearm in a real life dangerous situation to save yourself or somebody else? Did it occur at your home or out in public? Please share

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Never having to use a sidearm is the most hoped for outcome. Not having it when you need it is the worst of all outcomes. I know one Plainfield LEO who has exchanged fire with bad guys on 2 occassions. I now others who have never drawn their guns. Just keep it handy and hope for the best. By the way having a sidearm on you whether open or concealed will reduce the lilelyhood of ever needing it. Bad guys don't pick on armed citizens they look for the weak and helpless.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There are a few members that have, police, military, and civilian, who've used a sidearm in "real world" events. The vast majority will carry without ever having to fire a shot, though.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    FYI, that's not the sort of thing most people jump on the internet and share. I know a few guys that have had experiences, be it in the military, LE, or civilian. They aren't typically big on talking about it.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    FYI, that's not the sort of thing most people jump on the internet and share.
    I wasn't trying to get all the nitty gritty details. I just read a lot of stories nationally about robberies prevented because of a local civilian happened to be carrying and became a hero for doing so. My curiosity lies in if this sort of thing has happened closer to home here in Indiana. Plus there are plenty of people who have done a good deed that deserve to be recognized.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've heard many stories of Police officers going their whole career without ever having to fire their sidearm. ... Have you ever had to use your sidearm in a real life dangerous situation to save yourself or somebody else? ...

Just to clarify, not having to "fire" your firearm, and not having to "use" your firearm are two different things. One can use their firearm without necessarily firing it.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I'm a civilian. I've had to drawn on a very aggressive armed attacker. Luckily I kept distance and he knew I was in control. He looked away for a moment and I called the police with my free hand. He ran, i holstered without a shot fired and no damage sustained save maybe some bruises from a scuffle earlier (in which I stopped short of drawing a blade).

Whole situation was sticky but I did everything right from a legal standpoint. Police came and were very professional and nothing negative ever happened to me because of it.

I trained before, but after that I took it a lot more seriously. Made me reevaluate some gear, how I carry things, and what I dont carry. Made me glad for classroom training and range training I had. It made my gun-leery family change their mind on me carrying a gun everywhere, every day as well.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I met an old boy in KY that was a LEO for many years, had been shot numerous times himself as well as returned fire successfully. Old joke was that no one ever offered him a bottle of water because he had been shot so many times he would still leak. I do recall overhearing him saying that the worst feeling he ever had was when his slide locked back on his last magazine.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    ^^^ Exhibit A of using a gun without firing it.
    Trust me, if it were any other circumstance or if he moved passed the "imaginary line" i drew in the sand, it wouldve been a very different outcome.

Another reason why training is important. Some people forget details and things happen really quickly for them in stress situations, others think time moves slow and they're able to process a lot of information in a short period of time. Training makes people more likely to be the latter. Situational awareness was a more effective tool than my handgun.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    ^^ I don't think this is directed at you, he's just getting at is how just because you draw your firearm doesn't mean you use it. Guns have saved many lives without firing a shot.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I had to draw on someone once while doing a security gig years ago (not a LEO). Guy was coming at me with a tire iron. He stopped and retreated so I re-holstered.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'm 26 and I had an experience two years ago. Girlfriend at the time had a crazy ex who decided to break in the window "to talk". I led her to the bedroom, locked the door, and held the door handle. He got to the other side of the door. I could have shot him right there. I chose not to riddle him with 45acp jhps.

I was full of adrenaline with 1000 thoughts. My focus was if he tried to break the door down before LEO I would shoot. I really can't explain the full feeling but I am glad I did not have to kill him.

45 LongColt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Indiana
    About 30 years ago I worked armed security in a factory that only had first shift employees. I worked 3rd shift and carried a 38sp. The guy working 2nd shift carried a 22. One evening on 2nd shift a guy broke in and was robbing a vending machine. The security caught him, and the guy came at him with a hammer. The security guy had to shoot him 5 times before it stopped the thief, he lived. A little later and I would have had to shoot him with a 38sp. I hated the thought that I may have had to kill a guy for breaking in to a damn vending machine.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I met an old boy in KY that was a LEO for many years, had been shot numerous times himself as well as returned fire successfully. Old joke was that no one ever offered him a bottle of water because he had been shot so many times he would still leak. I do recall overhearing him saying that the worst feeling he ever had was when his slide locked back on his last magazine.

He was from KY...it would only be appropriate to offer him whisky.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A big part of self defense training is awareness and avoidance. Different from gun handling and marksmanship, yet often taught in the same courses by sharp well-rounded instructors.

Dale1320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    Brownsburg
    I will be perfectly happy if I never in my life have to point any firearm at another human being, let alone be put into a position of having to pull the trigger.

Top Bottom