Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok, Glocks, even some M&P's, are known to be very reliable. So, are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

I know that Wilson Combats are suppose to be very reliable, but are very expensive. But are there any that are as reliable that's under $2000?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You'd have to define reliability a little better. Normal use or dropped in the mud, run over, dropped off a building?

My experience is that a Glock will outperform the 1911 in all areas except: trigger feel, accuracy, style. But a $500 new 1911 is not necessarily imbued with those qualities.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Reliable as a Glock? I suppose you could find some off-brand version that was that bad.

In all seriousness, I've not heard of any major reliability issues with the "major" brands of 1911. Yes, they need to be somewhat "clean" to run well. But so does about everything. I also don't think there is an Internet Legend of a "1911 Ka-boom" like there is for the "Glock Ka-boom".

Interestingly, and somewhat on topic, I rented a couple of 1911's at the range the other day. Both were filthy from a long weekend of abuse. The RIA would fail to go back into battery every few rounds (got to practice tap-rack-bang). The Taurus ran fine. I definitely liked the feel of the RIA better, though. And, it ran fine after a quick field strip, clean, and lube.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    As always YMMV, but I've owned and used a Springfield V-10 ultracompact for about 10 years now. I bought it used at an auction when I was in college. It was well-used then and I don't know how many rounds I have put through it since, but is has never jammed even once. I've never cleaned it; shot gobs of commercial factory, USGI surplus, and reloaded ammo; and used a wide variety of quality magazines. I just don't get it when people say a 1911 isn't reliable :dunno:

The closest thing to a problem I had was truly horrible accuracy (bullet impacts FEET apart) when firing Wolf ammo. I didn't even finish the first box of that crap and I've never looked back. I haven't tried any "match" ammo in it, but my most consistent accuracy was with mid-60s USGI hardball. Function-wise, the gun really likes full power ammo. It ran sluggishly (comically slow chambering), but never jammed with some underpowered lead bullet reloads that someone else had made.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Ok, Glocks, even some M&P's, are known to be very reliable. So, are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

I know that Wilson Combats are suppose to be very reliable, but are very expensive. But are there any that are as reliable that's under $2000?

Ive got more rounds through my 1911 and had fewer problems with it than my Glock 30S. I learned that dirty doesn't seem to matter as long as it gets a little oil every few hundred rounds. It was a good deal north of 2 though. ;) I still think my HK 45 is a hell of an alternative for a lot less money. I've got more rounds through it than any other pistol, as well as all of my other 45s combined, and have had zero problems. Shooting side by side with my Wilson, it's pretty hard to say the 1911 is the better. The DA trigger on the first round is rough, You can carry it cocked and locked. With some work, it could edge ahead IMO.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Aaand this is partially why I never owned a Glock. Seems that as soon as people sign that 4473 for a Glock, they hand over their frontal lobe as payment.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Never had any issues with my Dan Wesson 1911 ever. Ran about 400 rounds through it this weekend and not a single issue. I even fed different types of hollowpoints through it in the same magazine, firing as fast as it would go to try to get it to jam.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm genuinely curious. Over the weekend, I held my brothers Springfield, and it's got me having all kinds of thoughts.

And I'll admit, I know next to nothing about 1911's.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I used 1911s for years in the Army, old, rattly, indifferently maintained...they all ran just fine and were accurate enough to allow me to shoot expert every year.

If those 1911s were good to go I guess you'd have to buy a pretty off brand to find anything unreliable. :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm genuinely curious. Over the weekend, I held my brothers Springfield, and it's got me having all kinds of thoughts.

And I'll admit, I know next to nothing about 1911's.

Any gun can and will have issues at some point.
    1911's are heavy, low round count and on and on per the Glock owners.
    I worked over ingo member bcannons Springfield loaded this weekend and it was the dirtiest one I have seen in a long long time as he did not know how to break it down. It is his 1st 1911. Dirty as it was I ran it, he ran it and it never missed a beat and most likely wouldn't have. Hundreds of rounds fired.
    Yes, I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy but I respect most of the Tupperware on the market currently.
    None of my guns have ever given me pause (well, there was the full auto incident...:)) to where I would not trust that platform with my life.
    Issues, yes. You shoot enough and there will be issues with anything at some point.
    Pick your poison and enjoy.

OP, I told you I could fix that craving for you...................:)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Hey, CM...remember that night stand gun you had that when you went to the range and pulled the trigger it went *click*???

My M&P went *BANG*

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    In 1992 my dad bought a 1991a1 series 80 so a year old at most. that has been the most shot gun we have and we can only think of 2 malfunctions and those were because of a crappy worn out mag.:dunno:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Any gun can and will have issues at some point.
    1911's are heavy, low round count and on and on per the Glock owners.
    I worked over ingo member bcannons Springfield loaded this weekend and it was the dirtiest one I have seen in a long long time as he did not know how to break it down. It is his 1st 1911. Dirty as it was I ran it, he ran it and it never missed a beat and most likely wouldn't have. Hundreds of rounds fired.
    Yes, I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy but I respect most of the Tupperware on the market currently.
    None of my guns have ever given me pause (well, there was the full auto incident...:)) to where I would not trust that platform with my life.
    Issues, yes. You shoot enough and there will be issues with anything at some point.
    Pick your poison and enjoy.

OP, I told you I could fix that craving for you...................:)
    Stay away from him. He's a "1911 Drug Dealer" and will get you hooked. I know this for a fact. I'm addicted.
    Glocks are good guns. I have nothing bad to say about the reliability of a Glock. I dated a very ugly girl once. I nicknamed her Glock.
    1911s are a work of art. Anything mechanical will eventually need tinkering with.

Top Bottom