• x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    First weekend with Canik 9mm TP9SA
    Century Arms

I ended up at US defense Solutions the other day and after swapping squirrel stories I headed home with the Tan Canik TP9. I was pleased with the appearance and the grip/feel of the 9mm, I’ve been doing the pistol thing for a long time and I’ve owned a long list of firearms, Smith and Taurus revolvers, Ruger P85 Gen 0, Smith 39, 4506, Colt 1911’s, EAA witness’, SW99, Glocks, Current M&P, shield, Ruger LCP ECT. I’ve shot UPSA with most and kept the ones I like sent many on their way, Had friends let me borrow M9’s, Browning HP’s, Sig 226’s, ECT. So I’ve been lucky enough to put rounds downrange with every major firearm and in a timeline that many times when they were “New”. (Not the 1911’s I’m not that old) We all know there’s nothing new under the sun.
    I just tell you that to let you know I’m not a snob and I know there is no end all firearm, there’s always innovations and mods that are tweaking the art of the handgun.

Back to the Canik, Let me tell you right now that I can’t shoot this in upsa without at least 2 mod’s, we’ll get to those.
    Plus
    Appearance is very good, nice fit between parts, smooth slide and action, Trigger is somewhat Glock like but a bit better on my gun, Reset is decent. Pointablity is very good, a small grip but still substantial for a large guy’s hand, Trigger reach is short and the palm swell and the scallops for your hand does a great job of guiding hands and fingers into place. Had my daughter and her friend grip the gun and dry fire, and for 5’6, and 5’7 young ladies They were comfortable with the grip and trigger pull, They are not gun gals so I can only tell you that they could pull the trigger comfortably, and they were not stretching to control the trigger, I think with the right training they could control this firearm as well as 100lb untrained people could, So basically everything that has been said about the fit, and feel is true. I really think this a realistic contender for the market.

Shooting, we headed out for a quick range trip, I did clean the firearm and give it a couple spots of Dillon’s Snake Oil. The magazines of course were new and loaded very stiffly I hope they will smooth up a bit over time. We ran a quick 50 rounds to it, no problems, Point of impact was pretty much on the 3 dots and recoil was easily managed and shooting went perfectly, I didn’t put the gun on paper but we did shoot some bouncing targets and some steel, We had fun and the gun worked as advertised.
    But before you run out there is one thing I really hate about the gun, It’s a safe action/single action with a DECOCKER. What does this mean, it means that if you are going to disassemble the firearm it’s very easy to decock the gun for safety. But what about the rest of the time when your not cleaning it. It’s super attractive button to hit. And if you Ever had a SW99 or a walther P99 you would hit this button for normal everyday carry. What happens with the Canik is you are in a perfectly good carry mode and if you decock you have disabled the firearm until you work the slide. If you had a round chambered it just went rolling across the floor.

So be aware if you hit that attractive button you have just disabled your firearm. However you put it there is not double strike, no double action, Ect.

The other thing I hate about the firearm but you might love, is the mag catch is very flat and you really have to dig your thumb in there to release the mag, and the mags don’t drop free, I think that mag releases should have a good balance of protection and access and I always want the mag to drop free every time (Those are the UPSA Mod's I wanted)

The Kit it comes with is a great bonus, I love the Blackhawk style holster and the Fit to the holster is perfect. And BTW the Canik is very trim and the M*P, and the Glock won’t even go in the entrance of the holster.

That’s my 2 cents, go buy one if you want or don’t, I have a new house gun

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Thanks for the review! I have had my eye on this ever since I saw the TP9 and heard it was coming out. Well, I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that there is another version in the works that addresses the decocker/lost round issue. This seems like the one change that wasn't for the better from the original version...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the review! I have had my eye on this ever since I saw the TP9 and heard it was coming out. Well, I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that there is another version in the works that addresses the decocker/lost round issue. This seems like the one change that wasn't for the better from the original version...

If this is true I will buy one! Love the gun, and without the decoker I will definitely have one!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Just shot a friends yesterday. I was really impressed. His mags did drop free. I would agree that the mag release is a bit less than ergonomic. The grip angle is really nice, and the gun points quite naturally. I had no problem hitting an 8" wide target at 40 yds. What I don't get is people's problem with the de cocker. It sits flush, so you really have to want to push it. It won't just de cock itself. To me, if you don't like that feature, don't use it. Just like people rag on the m&p's that have the tool that de cocks the striker. If you don't like using it, clear the weapon and pull the trigger. Anyway, back to the canik: there were a couple of minor things that left me liking my ppq a little better, but the tp9 is legit. And for $350 or even less, it's a no brainer. I'm going to get one.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I read in other reviews that you don't have to rack the slide completely to reset the trigger, thus not losing a round. They said a short pull will do it.

Would you mind trying that out and letting us know?

Thanks!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I read in other reviews that you don't have to rack the slide completely to reset the trigger, thus not losing a round. They said a short pull will do it.

Would you mind trying that out and letting us know?

Thanks!

That is true Roadie. You can move it an extremely minimal amount and it will reset the trigger indeed not ejecting the round from the chamber.

I still just don't want that on there, for piece of mind if nothing else. To me it serves no purpose but its not a deal breaker.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That is true Roadie. You can move it an extremely minimal amount and it will reset the trigger indeed not ejecting the round from the chamber.

I still just don't want that on there, for piece of mind if nothing else. To me it serves no purpose but its not a deal breaker.

Thanks!

Agreed, I don't like the idea of the decocker either, however.. if the price on the TP9SA drops after the new model comes out... might be pretty tempting

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Thanks Roadie! Glad to know about racking the slide. Woobie- Any chance you tried swapping mags with your PPQ? maybe it's the original TP9 only, but I've heard that the mags are compatible with the PPQ?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Thanks Roadie! Glad to know about racking the slide. Woobie- Any chance you tried swapping mags with your PPQ? maybe it's the original TP9 only, but I've heard that the mags are compatible with the PPQ?

Didnt even think about trying that. However, as mine is the m2, I would bet it won't work. If that thing is really a p99 clone, then the mags would work in a PPQ m1

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Thanks for the review. Decocker on a striker without DA...seems like they didn't think that through, or if they did there were some not entirely evident thought processes in mind.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Good discussion but the reason I ding the "moving the slide to recock" theory is the training I've been through, One of the key pieces that they push is that there should only be action you learn, one action to load the gun, one action to clear the gun, one action to clear a problem, so the only thing you should teach yourself to do is to rack the slide completely and smartly, you are going to induce a stoppage by pulling the slide back 1/4inch, Not because the 1/4 inch will be enough to start extracting the round because your human and one day that 1/4 inch will be 5/8 inch and the case mouth will hang on the chamber and you will end up with a double feed or something similar.

I will update the review next weekend, I will put the thing on paper, and get some pictures of why that decocker is so attractive,

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Okay. Yeah, I have the M1 and have seen a YouTube video that says they do, and supposedly shows it being swapped, but I guess I'm a bit skeptical. I do have an old P99 mag for my PPQ and it works perfectly. It's my understanding that the notch on the M2 mags are on the other side, so I'm not surprised it may not work. Guess I'll have to buy one to know for sure! ;)

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    I have ordered my TP9SA! The money I saved buying online I spent on mags at a local gunshop. I put one of them in my PPQ and it did fit, but the notches dont line up... No big deal. Cant wait to get it and take it out in the back field!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just saw there is a an older TP9v2 model that is an SA/DA there is decocker just drops it into DA from SA instead of decocking it totally.. at $330ish, it's pretty tempting, even if it is the older model

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So I did it, I bought one too. Also from USDS. I love it!

I had a slightly different experience with the mags though. They drop free very well. In fact, if you turn the gun upside down, and hit the mag release, the POP up.

The decocker doesn't seem to be an issue as far as I am concerned. I tried to "bump" it to simulate an accidental engagement and couldn't. If anyone is considering this sweet inexpensive gun but the decocker is an sticking point.. apparently disabling it is as easy as popping off the back plate, pulling out the striker Assembly, and dropping a could detent pins in the springs to block its movement(there are instructions and videos on the Interwebs).

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I loved my first TP9sa so much that with the current $25 rebate I just had to go out and get another one. This gun is a great shooter, accurate with a soft recoil, holding 18 to 20 rounds in each magazine, and is more accurate in my hands than my g19 with many more hundreds down the pipe of the g19. IF you ever get a chance to shoot it, beg the person with the Canik for a few shots and learn what a great gun it is. I would venture to say its the best 9mm handgun under $1000. Just go out and try it.....

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I loved my first TP9sa so much that with the current $25 rebate I just had to go out and get another one. This gun is a great shooter, accurate with a soft recoil, holding 18 to 20 rounds in each magazine, and is more accurate in my hands than my g19 with many more hundreds down the pipe of the g19. IF you ever get a chance to shoot it, beg the person with the Canik for a few shots and learn what a great gun it is. I would venture to say its the best 9mm handgun under $1000. Just go out and try it.....

I could not agree more. esrice and lovemywoods shot mine and we were all impressed with it. I think it is safe to say this is the best value in semi auto pistols going right now.

Top Bottom