• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    So, I have been able to shoot my 30S enough lately to decide that I will keep it. I was contemplating going back to a 19 instead. I don't love shooting the 30S and I had some problems when I first got it with it feeding, but those mags are very tight and now have broken in a little I think. I've got about 400 rounds through it now and I've had no problems since my first few times out with it. It carries as well as a 19, shoots well enough,.. Plus,.... It shoots 45!

Anyhow, I was cleaning it last night and noticing how gritty the slide feels when you rack it. Then I saw that the guide rod looks like someone was whittling on it. Really chewed up looking. Anyone try one of the aftermarket options? I feel like it might smooth up the pistol a bit?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I personally would not go aftermarket for a Glock guide rod. Just buy another OEM and keep the old one as a backup. If the new one gets chewed up, might be time to have an armorer take a look.

Too many Glocks go from functioning fine to having issues when switching out OEM internals.

About the only part I swap from OEM in a Glock is magazine release (Vickers) and sights. I just don't see a need to swap the guide rod out for a non OEM.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I agree with WebSnyper. An OEM RSA is about $20. An aftermarket tungsten RSA is about $70. Perhaps your feeding problem was related to an improperly seated RSA? Especially if it was "chewed up".

I really like my 30s, but it can be a handful for some.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Could it be this?

GLOCK Inc. is voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols (with the exception of G26 and G27 models). GLOCK has developed a new design to the recoil spring assemblies on its Gen4 pistols to replace several variations that are functioning in the market today. As part of the company’s commitment to perfection, we are voluntarily exchanging the existing RSA in order to ensure our products perform up to GLOCK’s stringent standards.

GLOCK is replacing the RSA in all Gen4s sold before July 22, 2011 at no cost. Please complete the following procedure to receive a new RSA. The RSA can safely and simply be swapped out using normal field stripping protocols. If you have additional questions, please contact GLOCK at 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number.
    CONSUMER ACTION:

Call 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number to request your modified RSA. GLOCK will verify your serial number and collect shipping information
    Within 30 days, GLOCK will send you a replacement RSA along with a pre-addressed envelope to mail in your old spring
    Ensure your Gen4 is completely unloaded
    Field strip your GLOCK per the instructions found in your ‘Instructions for Use’ manual that came with your pistol and replace the old RSA with the new one
    Place the old RSA in the supplied shipping container and give to the United States Postal Service (USPS)

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Could it be this?

GLOCK Inc. is voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols (with the exception of G26 and G27 models). GLOCK has developed a new design to the recoil spring assemblies on its Gen4 pistols to replace several variations that are functioning in the market today. As part of the company’s commitment to perfection, we are voluntarily exchanging the existing RSA in order to ensure our products perform up to GLOCK’s stringent standards.

GLOCK is replacing the RSA in all Gen4s sold before July 22, 2011 at no cost. Please complete the following procedure to receive a new RSA. The RSA can safely and simply be swapped out using normal field stripping protocols. If you have additional questions, please contact GLOCK at 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number.
    CONSUMER ACTION:

Call 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number to request your modified RSA. GLOCK will verify your serial number and collect shipping information
    Within 30 days, GLOCK will send you a replacement RSA along with a pre-addressed envelope to mail in your old spring
    Ensure your Gen4 is completely unloaded
    Field strip your GLOCK per the instructions found in your ‘Instructions for Use’ manual that came with your pistol and replace the old RSA with the new one
    Place the old RSA in the supplied shipping container and give to the United States Postal Service (USPS)

Mine is a Gen 3, I don't think gen 4 are available yet...? Don't tell me if they are, because I will want one.

I am concerned with a part that seems to have become heavily worn after such a low round count, hence my searching for a better option. If a factory option is $20 and it will last another 400-500 rounds and an aftermarket option cost $70 and will last indefinitely,.... that's a no brainer. I just question the reliability with the aftermarket part more than anything.

I doubt that it was due to the pistol being improperly assembled, meaning the guide rod detent not properly aligned in the slide, or something of the like. It isn't my first Glock, nor is it my only pistol.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It is my understanding that the OEM RSA can reasonably be expected to last over 3000 rounds. But, the tungsten RSA is pretty sexy and adds a bit of weight to the front of the firearm. Springs will wear, but the tungsten should hold up.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    It is my understanding that the OEM RSA can reasonably be expected to last over 3000 rounds. But, the tungsten RSA is pretty sexy and adds a bit of weight to the front of the firearm. Springs will wear, but the tungsten should hold up.

You talked me into it! I'll let you know how it works! ;)

Top Bottom