What's a normal number of failures to extract?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a trio of M&Ps, full size, in 9mm, .40, and .45. The .40 and .45 have run several hundred rounds without a hiccup, but the 9mm fails to extract 1-3 per 100 rounds, out of just under a thousand rounds fired. I'm meticulous about cleaning the breech and extractor.

Are my other pistols just lucky, or is there something up with the 9mm? Thanks!

Edit: all Winchester WB, on all three pistols.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Zero is the only acceptable number when it comes to feeding or extraction. I would either send it back to S&W on their dime or buy the FRE from Apex tactical.

I suppose that if you are having issues with non-standard ammo like steel or aluminum cased ammo, then you can chalk it up to tight chamber tolerances and stop feeding it the cheap stuff.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    That is not normal. If this is with factory loaded ammo then there is definitely an issue with the gun. An M&P should be 100% reliable.

If this is hand-loaded ammo, check your recipe and try a few 100 rounds of factory loads.

I see your edit now:

Edit: all Winchester WB, on all three pistols.

Should be 100% with Winchester WB 9mm. I've gone through at least 2500 rounds of this in multiple 9mm pistols over the years and don't recall EVER having a single FTE. I don't have an M&P but I'd expect it to be perfect. It's not like it's a Jimenez Arms or Hi-Point!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Smith will take care of it. Contact their warranty dept. and send it in for repair.

FTE's are unacceptable, and you should have ZERO with WWB.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    The only failure to extract I had in my G19 was 90 Gr frangible reloads put together by Kodiak Range in South Bend.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    As others have already stated: zero is the acceptable number with normal, factory loaded ammo. The only time my S&W or Glocks fail to extract, is when I've worked up some powder puff load, which tells me I need to throw a little more powder in that brass lol. Talk to S&W and they'll help you out.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Try ammo other then the craptastic WWB. They have a horrible load consistency rate. Plus the brass isn't up to SAMMI standards in my experience. The rim of the cartridge is a tick too small.
    Bet you will solve the problem with an ammo change.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Winchester white box, FMJ, 115 for the 9mm, 165 for the .40, 230 for the .45.

That may be your problem. WWB 9mm is a turd imo.

How are they ejecting? If the rest are getting tossed out as intended can you feel the difference in the failures to extract from non failures. If its barely spitting out the rest you shouldn't but if its kicking them the failures should have a lot less recoil.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    3 m&p's. I've heard of this issue, but have only experienced it twice with my full size (using one brand of remanufactured/reloads).
    Several thousand rounds across them all using WWB & Federal without issue. Certainly worth my keeping an eye on though.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Of course, zero is the number you are going for. HOWEVER, I have a Bersa Thunder 380, that
    has had one failure to eject in 1200 rounds. I was using CCI Aluminum at the time and the failure was
    at around 600 rounds. I never used CCI Aluminum again, and have had NO failures of any kind since.
    Like others have said, make sure you look at the ammo before getting worried about the gun.

Top Bottom