• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My cousin has a Colt Python with 8" barrel and is trying to figure out the value and other info. I told him I would ask the experts at INGO. What can you guys tell me and what other info can I give you that would help

Added another pic. Not sure how well the pic shows the screw on your computer but blown up it looks a little fuzzy, both screws look like new

Serial Number LA84**

attachment.php

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would say from what I see them sell for at auctions recently it's 1500 to 2K. Tell him to ask for an arm or leg first then negotiate up to the moon.:)

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    If you really want to know the value go to coltforum.com and in the Python section post a bunch of photo's, those guys eat breath and sleep Pythons they will help you out. My guess based on one pic is that its worth between 2 to $3,000 and I don't believe those are factory grips.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    All I know is they're expensive and awesome and I want one.

Why? Colt revolvers are no where near as strong as a Smith, and they were notorious for timing issues.
    They do have a huge cool factor, I'll give you that.

Anyway, not trying to thread jack, hope he gets top dollar out of it. I would say it is on the un-common side, being an 8in barrel with a Nickle finish. I would have to agree with someone else, I think it is north of 2k but less than 3k.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Mine is a 4" blue and I love it!!! Fantastic trigger and accuracy. I would agree on the above $2k to $2500 range. Little things are big deals to python experts. Stocks screws box. Etc

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Its not screwing someone if they agree to pay it. It seems that market value is basically as much as you can get someone to pay. I don't know the snake guns well, but I have seen more common models in worse shape go for crazy money. Id start at $3k, let it sit for a bit and then lower it in $200 increments each week until it sells.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Why? Colt revolvers are no where near as strong as a Smith, and they were notorious for timing issues.
    They do have a huge cool factor, I'll give you that.

Cause they have a pretty pony on it. That's about the only reason.

What the pics don't show though, is condition of the nickeling, how the screw heads are, and what's the tension on the v spring?

If the screw heads have been buggered, then someone may have gotten into it and did who knows what to it. Maybe bent the v spring for an even lighter pull but might light strike on double action. If the nickel is good or maybe flaking from someone putting Hoppes or another solvent on it.

When it comes to Colts, good, detailed pics are a must, or at least for me. I'm with you, I don't see the magic in them and I've handled a lot of them. But when valuing them, I nit pick the hell out of them

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Saw a 4" Nickle Python at the LGS today with (I believe) 2300 on it. Factory grips were with it, bit not on it. From what I have seen, a nice Python in decent shape is going to fetch north of 2k. Ive seen a few go for a good bit more, but they were perfect, or nearly so, factory engraved models.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    With the current Walking Dead enthusiasm, I'm sure the price for Colt Pythons will continue to climb.

Think S&W .44's after Dirty Harry, or staplers after Office Space.

rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    Grips are wrong. Cannot see enough of the gun close up to make a fair guesstimate. If the scratches are light, and experienced guy can get a lot of them out. Does it have the original box?

Top Bottom