• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Okay, I have gone back and forth on this one. I am looking for a revolver for my wife...

Before all the nay-sayers get rolling, she has shot plenty of handguns and prefers revolvers out of her own decision! Everyone that was about to say "just get her a glock" can go jump in a lake.

I bought her a Lady Smith .38 special, and she really loves the gun, but does not enjoy shooting it. The recoil, even with easy hitting .38's is too much for her to have fun, and she has trouble with the trigger pull. So it's on to something else...

I had settled on a Ruger Sp101 in 3" and while that's still a contender, I'm worried that if a Lady Smith with a trigger job is still a tough trigger for her, she won't like this one any better.

The other contender is Ruger's 3" LCRx. Everyone says the trigger is very easy to pull, but I'm worried that the 17oz weight will be too light. (I may be the only person in the world complaining that a carry gun is TOO LIGHT.) I even considered drilling and affixing a little lead brick to the underside of the barrel to reduce recoil, but would that weaken the frame? (Not to mention be ugly as sin?)

Is there another solution I'm missing? I need a heavy .38 with a 3 or 4 inch barrel, with a very easy trigger pull. Does such a thing exist?

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Ruger just released the SP101 4" chambered in .327 federal magnum. It's 29.5 oz and can fire .32 acp, 32 S&W, 32 S&W long, .32 H&R magnum, and .327 federal magnum. So you can literally fire rounds that are barley above .22lr ballistics, all the way up to rounds that give the .357 a run for its money. best of all, you get a sixth shot in the same size as a regular sp101.

5773.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know where you are located, but Indy Trading Post has a 3" LCR in their rental case if you want to try before you buy.

The SP101 has a very stiff trigger out of the box. There are some good gun smiths who can lighten it considerably and still leave it reliable, but you're adding a lot of cost to the gun.

The LCR is very easy on the recoil, IMO. The factory grips have a gel insert in them where the web of your hand is and the rubber is a good consistency to feel tacky but not sticky and to absorb recoil. I noticed a lot of difference going from a Taurus CIA to the LCR, and I attribute most of it to the grips as the LCR is actually a fuzz lighter. I did this review when I first got it, and stand by it: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lcr-357-review-comparison-taurus-850-cia.html

I don't know that the 3" has the same grips, though.

Now, if'n it was me, if she likes the gun then it might be worth to stick with it, swap out the factory (presumably wooden) grips for some Hogues or Pachmayr rubber grips and have a smith lighten the trigger.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Along the same lines as the SP101, Ruger just relesed a 3" version of the LCRx (hammered version of their LCR) in .38 Special, which to me sounds like the ideal size for a carry revolver in this category and for your wife's purposes.
    The slightly longer than standard barrel will both help manage recoil and make accurate fire significantly easier.
    On another note, that Ladysmith's recoil could be tamed considerably with a good aftermarket grip, such as Hogue or possibly some others.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't know where you are located, but Indy Trading Post has a 3" LCR in their rental case if you want to try before you buy.

The SP101 has a very stiff trigger out of the box. There are some good gun smiths who can lighten it considerably and still leave it reliable, but you're adding a lot of cost to the gun.

The LCR is very easy on the recoil, IMO. The factory grips have a gel insert in them where the web of your hand is and the rubber is a good consistency to feel tacky but not sticky and to absorb recoil. I noticed a lot of difference going from a Taurus CIA to the LCR, and I attribute most of it to the grips as the LCR is actually a fuzz lighter. I did this review when I first got it, and stand by it: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lcr-357-review-comparison-taurus-850-cia.html

I don't know that the 3" has the same grips, though.

Now, if'n it was me, if she likes the gun then it might be worth to stick with it, swap out the factory (presumably wooden) grips for some Hogues or Pachmayr rubber grips and have a smith lighten the trigger.

Doh!
    I should have read your post before I made mine.
    Hickok45 already has his review of the 3" LCRx up on YouTube, and he pointedly mentions that the grips are indeed a bit different (slightly more hand-filling) from those they put on the stock LCR/LCRx.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I just have to mention, small guns recoil. Light guns recoil. Get the biggest gun she can hold up. The guns you mention won't recoil any less because they don't weigh any more (effectively). Start shopping for a GP100 or K-frame smith with a minimum 4" barrel. This won't make a great carry gun, buy any carry gun is a comprise. I'd have two separate guns, one for carry, one for shooting.

Grips are extremely important. Again, you want the biggest possible(comfortable) to spread the recoil throughout both hands.

Small guns suck to shoot. You two need to visit a range and try some guns. You are typically stuck with a nice carry gun that sucks to shoot, or a great range gun that's too big to carry. I prefer two guns with identical controls/operations.

Oh, right, specifics:
    4" K-Frame Smith. With a well used or well tuned trigger, this is unbeatable.
    4" GP100, well used. Heavier=less recoil, clunkier trigger, use or dryfire smooths out the trigger
    4" L-frame Smith, their bigger, modern 357, same as GP100, slightly better trigger out of the box.
    4" Ruger Blackhawk, nill recoil, good trigger, but SA.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have an LCR in .357, and IMO, it's the best carry gun of its size. With .38 or .38+P the recoil is very manageable--much more so than that of an airweight J-frame. For me there was not a noticeable difference in recoil between the SP101 and the LCR, so I chose the LCR because it was more compact and lighter weight.

FWIW I never understood the appeal of having a hammer on an LCR because I don't see myself ever shooting single-action in a self-defense situation.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Have to agree with Snapdragon. The LCR 357 is very mild recoiling with regular 38 loads, and you still get the excellent smooth LCR trigger. You can add a nightsight to the front also. Its WAYYYYY softer shooting than the LCR 38 or Smith Airweights in my opinion. With the Hogue Tamer grips especially, its a breeze. My 9 and 11 yr old kids had no problem shooting it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Along the same lines as the SP101, Ruger just relesed a 3" version of the LCRx (hammered version of their LCR) in .38 Special, which to me sounds like the ideal size for a carry revolver in this category and for your wife's purposes.
    The slightly longer than standard barrel will both help manage recoil and make accurate fire significantly easier.
    On another note, that Ladysmith's recoil could be tamed considerably with a good aftermarket grip, such as Hogue or possibly some others.

Have to agree with Snapdragon. The LCR 357 is very mild recoiling with regular 38 loads, and you still get the excellent smooth LCR trigger. You can add a nightsight to the front also. Its WAYYYYY softer shooting than the LCR 38 or Smith Airweights in my opinion. With the Hogue Tamer grips especially, its a breeze. My 9 and 11 yr old kids had no problem shooting it.

Stick with Hammerless. Wife started to carry my dad's 36-1 (3" J frame) and she noticed in the various compartments she would draw from in various carry bags, the hammer tended to be a major snag point. We started shopping for a hammerless and then she found a pretty purple LCP. (dont get me started)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    you asked for heavy.... get the 3" GP100!
    6 rds, fixed sights.

Is this for purse carry, OWB, or fun/house gun??
    If it's the latter, get a 4" GP100 OR S&W 686+

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ruger just released the SP101 4" chambered in .327 federal magnum. It's 29.5 oz and can fire .32 acp, 32 S&W, 32 S&W long, .32 H&R magnum, and .327 federal magnum. So you can literally fire rounds that are barley above .22lr ballistics, all the way up to rounds that give the .357 a run for its money. best of all, you get a sixth shot in the same size as a regular sp101.
    5773.jpg
    I have one of these and I think you are going to run into the same problem with trigger pull weight. I will offer to let her shoot it. I have ammo. I live on the west side of INDY and usually shoot at Parabellum, could also meet at Indy Trading Post. Pm me if you want to take me up on the offer.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My wife chose the SP101 over the lady smith. She complained a little about the heavy trigger at first. I told her she could strengthen that finger with some exercises.... like giving me a handy. She hasn't mentioned the trigger since. I think it just takes some getting used to.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys. (And gals!) It is helpful.

Snapdragon, I agree about the LCR. I'm definitely leaning that way.

The Lady Smith isn't WAY too much recoil or trigger pull, just a little too much for her to enjoy it. So I need something a little heavier and a better trigger.

Maybe since the LCR has better grips, it would achieve the same effect as a heavier gun. (Less felt recoil, that is.) I really wish they made a 3" hammerless LCR in .357!! That would be the perfect fit. A little heavier, a great trigger, and a little longer.

Anyone know if Ruger is planning to release something like that? Are they dragging it out like they did the first few LCR variants?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have one of these and I think you are going to run into the same problem with trigger pull weight. I will offer to let her shoot it. I have ammo. I live on the west side of INDY and usually shoot at Parabellum, could also meet at Indy Trading Post. Pm me if you want to take me up on the offer.

Thank you for the offer! We live on the north side, so I doubt that we would be able to swing all the way down there, but I'll keep it in mind! Thanks again!

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The SP101 is a great revolver. It is definitely heavier but sounds like that is what she is looking for.

As far as stock triggers go, the LCR has the smoothest trigger by far (IMO, of course).

Two other far out ideas: 1) maybe look for a better grip for the Smith she has? Hogue makes some decent grips and J-Frames are very popular; maybe you could find a slightly bigger grip that tames the recoil. 2) Taurus (hear me out) makes a 380 version of their revolvers. Although the 380 isn't the best, it could be potent with the right ammo. Just an idea.

Either way, good luck!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks for all the info guys. (And gals!) It is helpful.

Snapdragon, I agree about the LCR. I'm definitely leaning that way.

The Lady Smith isn't WAY too much recoil or trigger pull, just a little too much for her to enjoy it. So I need something a little heavier and a better trigger.

Maybe since the LCR has better grips, it would achieve the same effect as a heavier gun. (Less felt recoil, that is.) I really wish they made a 3" hammerless LCR in .357!! That would be the perfect fit. A little heavier, a great trigger, and a little longer.

Anyone know if Ruger is planning to release something like that? Are they dragging it out like they did the first few LCR variants?

If she finds the Smith recoil too much to pleasantly practice regularly with, then she will feel the same about the Ruger LCR-anything...perhaps more so. There's always used ones for sale, mostly because of guys buying them for their gals.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    You may try finding a 3" barrel K frame S&W. I have a model 64 that has a fairly heavy barrel profile and between the extra weight in the barrel and the slightly bigger grip, it really shoots more like a 4". Its not gonna be a pocket gun, but it is smaller to conceal and still not fierce in recoil. If you like the SP101 ( i just hate the triggers), you may give the 3" model a try, I doubt it will be as rough as a airweight lady smith. My wife shoots my 64 just for fun and always enjoys it. Im up in NWI but if we even can meet at a range somewhere, you are both welcome to try it. Ive also got a 2" 642, a 2" model 10 and a 4" model 19 if she wants to do a side by side comparison.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If she finds the Smith recoil too much to pleasantly practice regularly with, then she will feel the same about the Ruger LCR-anything...perhaps more so. There's always used ones for sale, mostly because of guys buying them for their gals.

Have you shot them both back to back? Those here who have say something different. Grips matter. A lot.

I still think a grip swap from wood to rubber designed to reduce recoil on the lady smith is the smartest place to start.

Top Bottom