• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt1968

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2015
    lynn
    i here a lot of good and bad about the hi point and yes ther bag but i dont see how ther so bad ya thay had a bad jaming probolem but now ther ok ,i would like to heir what you have to say

thanks.....

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Its better then nothing. If its what you can afford... Shoot it a bunch and hope it works out

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I want to get one and try it out. They are known as cheap, heavy guns, but I hear they have a great warranty too.

Do you want to carry it on your person or do you just want it to take to the range and shoot?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never shot one. Just not my taste. But OP, what are your reasons for considering a High Point? What others have you considered?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to have a .40 I used to introduce people to shooting. I acquired a 9mm for nearly free from a friend who wanted it out of the house.

Pro:

Cheap
    Reliable
    Good warranty

Con:

Bulky
    Heavy
    Grip couldn't be slicker if they wrapped it in glass and then waxed it
    Thumb safety is tiny and difficult to deactivate in a hurry
    Trigger is like dragging an oar through a bucket of sand, only less predictable
    Recoil is more than it should be thanks to heavy reciprocating weight, bore axis, and being undersprung
    Aesthetically horrid to the point the military wouldn't use it to make glasses.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. Heavy, bulky and clunky but surprisingly reliable . I've owned several, any I bought new worked very well , reliable with most ammo but might need a short break in with brass cased before being 0 fail with steel cased.
    Don't think they're really long term durable compared to more expensive guns but can be maintained well with free parts provided simply for the asking.
    One drawback to the handguns is the weak mag catch retaining spring which is a small wire bow of sorts, unlike the carbines which use a good coil spring. Usually not a problem but every now and then one needs replaced.
    The company seems to have changed hands recently as evidenced by a name change on the boxes of the guns formerly made by Beemiller ( all the carbines and the 380 and 9mm pistols) to Strassell Machine . Probably not a big deal tho' because Strassell has been a parts provider or some type of supplier/subcontractor for some time.
    The post mentioning the slick grips is spot dead on, plan on getting a Hogue Handall or similar product if you buy any HP pistol.

eta, The triggers can be heavy out of box but do ( at least on ones I owned) get somewhat better after a couple hundred rds .

A good resource is the forum Hi Point Talk, link below.

http://www.hipointtalk.net/

Last edited:

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    confession: Ive kinda been wanting to try one but I'd be to embarrassed to walk into bradis, usds, or pss to buy one.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive owned several in 9mm, and .45 both handgun and carbine. Ugly, yes. Heavy, yes. Reliable, yes. If its all you can afford go for it!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    confession: Ive kinda been wanting to try one but I'd be to embarrassed to walk into bradis, usds, or pss to buy one.

ITP may have one in their rental case, can't remember for sure.

You can do a fair approximation by taking a Glock, wrapping the grip with the fattiest bacon you can find and putting a baby carrot behind the trigger between firings.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'm surprised everyone is saying they are so reliable. The only one I've had the pleasure to try probably malfunctioned 1 in 5 rounds. Albeit that was a few years back. Have they improved?

And for a "trunk gun" wouldn't one be better off with an old S&W revolver, or even a Rock Island revolver?

Top Bottom