• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I know this horse has been beaten to death a 1000x :horse: but I've come to the conclusion that my safe and my pocket book can't handle any more calibers (not ordering bulk ammo sucks and is pricey $$$$). After lots of thought, I've decided to get out of .45, .40 and .380, because I don't shoot a lot of modern handguns and most of them I do are in 9mm. Since I'm ditching .380, I ditched my Mustang which was my "summer" carry gun. So I'm looking at the following as potential replacements.

PF9,which I think feels janky and cheap, but I've never fired one. I like the weight and the fact its in 9mm and Buds has them for $260 shipped

M&P Body Guard in .38, its a little heavier and only 5 round capacity.

CM9, light weight, 9mm doesn't fit my hands the greatest.

LC9s, is in 9mm and higher capacity but is a lot larger.

M&P Shield, heavy, feels nice in my hands, safety.

Those are the 5 are the ones I'm looking at right now. The S&W airweight I've already had and wasn't a huge fan.

So INGO, what do you think?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    XDs!! I absolutely love mine, and I have had the opportunity to shoot almost every gun on your list.

PF9- I like the size and how light it is, but striker fired pistols have such a sweet trigger, and the DAO trigger on the PF9 can't even come close. It's also pretty snappy due to being so lightweight.

M&P Body Guard- haven't had a chance to shoot that one...

LC9s- a pretty big gun for still having a DAO trigger. I didn't DISLIKE the LC9, I just wasn't impressed by it, and the trigger sucks.

M&P Shield- I was really tempted to go with this gun, but the trigger was gritty, (though maybe it would wear in), but when I shot it side by side with the XDs, everyone present had significantly smaller groups with the XDs, and their follow up shots were consistently quicker.

The XDs is a little on the heavy side, but that makes it a joy to shoot. I could run this at a week long training class and not have bleeding hands. I can't say that for any of the others. And obviously a good trigger is important to me, so that plays a big part in my selection. In the end, it's all personal preference, and these are all good carry gun options. Hope any of this helps!

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    XDs!! I absolutely love mine, and I have had the opportunity to shoot almost every gun on your list.

PF9- I like the size and how light it is, but striker fired pistols have such a sweet trigger, and the DAO trigger on the PF9 can't even come close. It's also pretty snappy due to being so lightweight.

M&P Body Guard- haven't had a chance to shoot that one...

LC9s- a pretty big gun for still having a DAO trigger. I didn't DISLIKE the LC9, I just wasn't impressed by it, and the trigger sucks.

M&P Shield- I was really tempted to go with this gun, but the trigger was gritty, (though maybe it would wear in), but when I shot it side by side with the XDs, everyone present had significantly smaller groups with the XDs, and their follow up shots were consistently quicker.

The XDs is a little on the heavy side, but that makes it a joy to shoot. I could run this at a week long training class and not have bleeding hands. I can't say that for any of the others. And obviously a good trigger is important to me, so that plays a big part in my selection. In the end, it's all personal preference, and these are all good carry gun options. Hope any of this helps!

I've forgotten about the XDs I shot my brothers in .45 and I basically forgot about because it was in .45. I know they came out with the 9mm model sometime back I just forgot about it. I'll have to look up the weight

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Handle and test fire as many of those as possible. Ask INGOers for assistance for any you have a tough time finding. Shooting a firearm well >>> fitting your hand.

All of the ones you mentioned can do the job. The one I would stay away from is the PF9. I had one for a short while and it had a horrendously long trigger pull.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Handle and test fire as many of those as possible. Ask INGOers for assistance for any you have a tough time finding. Shooting a firearm well >>> fitting your hand.

All of the ones you mentioned can do the job. The one I would stay away from is the PF9. I had one for a short while and it had a horrendously long trigger pull.

Going to the range tomorrow to shoot a CM9 and a PF9 that a friend of mine has. I have like 13 full frame guns, just never got into a wide variety of small ones.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I wouldn't call the shield a pocket gun. I have one and love it but it is a skosh too big for comfortable pocket carry IMHO. I have shot a friend's Kahr PM-9 quite a bit and that or the CM-9 would be my choice for a pocket 9mm. A S&W 642 or Ruger LCR disappears in the front pocket of a pair of cargo shorts but, as you point out, both are only 5 rounds.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I wouldn't call the shield a pocket gun. I have one and love it but it is a skosh too big for comfortable pocket carry IMHO. I have shot a friend's Kahr PM-9 quite a bit and that or the CM-9 would be my choice for a pocket 9mm. A S&W 642 or Ruger LCR disappears in the front pocket of a pair of cargo shorts but, as you point out, both are only 5 rounds.

I don't usually pocket carry but it's nice to have the option. I've had a 642 and was just meh about it, it wasn't great but wasn't bad and if going to have a poly framed gun it's going to be an auto not a revolver. I just cant get used to idea of a poly revolver.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    How about a J-frame that isn't an Airweight model? Like A 649 or 640 chambered in 357.

Ruger LCR is also another great little revolver for BUG/summer carry.

I had an LCR for a bit and loved it. But ended up selling it to a friend because I carried my Glock 26 more.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    But also bigger, and I don't know if I could break myself down enough to become a Glock fan boy...

No fanboidom required. I personally don't like Glocks( by which I mean I think they are ugly) which is why I carry it more than anything else. They work and I can shoot them well enough and at the same time I don't care if it gets scratches and wear marks because it's just another tool.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    But also bigger, and I don't know if I could break myself down enough to become a Glock fan boy...

Depends what you're looking for. Don't have to be a fan boy to carry anything. They're just tools. Match the tool to the job.

Things in this size range are usually BUGS, tertiary guns, or special purpose carry items for me.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Agree with Snorko - PM9/CM9 is a pocket gun. I'm not a cop - and I don't go into dangerous territory so a pocket gun fits my EDC needs nicely. But by all means use what fits your hands , OP.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    After lots of thought, I've decided to get out of .380, because I don't shoot a lot of modern handguns and most of them I do are in 9mm. Since I'm ditching .380, I ditched my Mustang which was my "summer" carry gun. So I'm looking at the following as potential replacements.

I think the obvious choice is the Sig Sauer P938, surprised it hasn't been brought up. It's 9mm and basically a slightly larger clone of the Colt Mustang that you currently carry.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I really like the XDs, but it's too big for pocket carry unless one has really big pockets. Of the ones on the list, the CM9 and .38 snubby seem like the best choices.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have the Bodyguard in .38 spl and it is my go to pocket gun. That said, it is not fun to shoot and it it's still pretty large for pocket carry, but it can be done. If you didn't like the Airweight you probably won't like it.

I shot the PF9 and pretty much hated it. Way too much recoil compared to other semi autos of a comparable size, like the Shield.

I compared the Shield to my Bodyguard recently and they are almost the exact same foot print. In fact, the Shield may have actually been slightly smaller and fit perfectly in my current pocket holster (Desantis Nemesis.) The outline looked much less like a gun when in my pocket. The shape of a revolver is pretty recognizable in a smaller pocket compared to the more square print of a semi auto which could be dismissed as a smart phone.

You should also check out some of the smaller Kahr pistols. A lot of people love them.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm in the process of converting from many years of pocket carrying a PM9(CM9) to the Sig P938. I just never liked the looooong DAO trigger on the PM9. My main issue was that the replacement could not be any larger than the PM9 which is largest thing I can pocket carry reasonably. The Sig is almost exactly the same. The only thing that makes it longer in one place is the beaver tail but it's not bad. I love the Sig trigger - short crisp with the same for a reset. The trade off is you have to be OK with carrying a SAO-exposed hammer-cocked and locked-thumb safety set up. I didn't think I'd like that, but I'm already used to it and haven't practiced with it all that long (about a month). I was very accurate with the Sig right out of the box - much more so than I ever really got with the Kahr. The key is to go shoot any of those suggested to make sure you can shoot it comfortably and accurately. Everyone's hands are different.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I think the obvious choice is the Sig Sauer P938, surprised it hasn't been brought up. It's 9mm and basically a slightly larger clone of the Colt Mustang that you currently carry.

I had a P938 before the Mustang, and honestly don't remember why I got rid of it

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Another recommendation for the 938.
    I carry in a IWB Hybrid.
    I have tucked it into a pocket. But I would STRONGLY advise against carrying in a pocket without a holster.

They make a kydex holster like their OWB holster, but without a belt clip.
    That might do in a pinch, but I carry in a slim pocket holster when I carry that way.
    Under no circumstances would I put a pistol in my pocket without having the trigger protected from an accidental application of pressure. (Which could happen in a multitude of ways)

my 2cents.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Bought a Glock 43 today.. and.. well... it's meh. Just meh, feels great in my hands but I don't like the trigger that much and couldn't group the greatest with it. So I'm gonna go ahead and cross that guy off the list

Top Bottom