Thinking of buying a G42-how do you determine if it has all of the glock updates

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    Like the title says, thinking of getting a G42 for the significant other for CCW. I have read about all the problems they had initially and from reading online It seems glock updated a lot of the internals like slide stop, trigger bar, etc.. Looking to buy one used, so I am wondering what I should be looking for in terms of latest updates on firearm. Is there a way to tell in case seller is unsure. I know the newest mags (gen2 I believe) have a 01 marking on them or something.
    Thanks,
    Mav

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How do they "upgrade" Perfection?

A lot of folks make the mistake of thinking that "Glock Perfection" refers to the guns. It does not. Instead, it refers to the ability of the guns to generate revenue. In that sense, it really comes close to perfection.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Reading the comments, it still seems hit or miss. Now I'm starting to think I might need to point her to something else....

I tried one final G42 recently, that had all the latest parts in it. Still was too finicky for my tastes ammo-wise (read, it wasn't what I expect from the Glock platform, that being utter reliability). It was always a nagging thought in the back of my mind. NO WAY I was letting my wife carry it. She's stuck with a G26, and is quite happy with it. And she can shoot my LC9S Pro quite well (which is really pretty doggone close to the G42 in size, while being a 7+1 9mm...).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I tried one final G42 recently, that had all the latest parts in it. Still was too finicky for my tastes ammo-wise (read, it wasn't what I expect from the Glock platform, that being utter reliability). It was always a nagging thought in the back of my mind. NO WAY I was letting my wife carry it. She's stuck with a G26, and is quite happy with it. And she can shoot my LC9S Pro quite well (which is really pretty doggone close to the G42 in size, while being a 7+1 9mm...).

Thank you. I won't carry a gun myself which I don't feel is 100% reliable, so I won't allow my GF to carry something that isn't the same. I guess I'm looking for something else that is small, has little recoil and is more reliable. Maybe the Walther CCP. Not as small, but may meet the other needs...

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Have you looked at the new G43? It's in 9mm and I haven't seen any issues on it. Not sure if you're looking for .380 specific but the S&W Shield is similar in size to the G42.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I have a 42 on me probably 15-16hrs a day. I have one of the first ones made. i got one of the good ones. Easily 700 rounds through mine with a dozen different types of ammo. ..zero FTEs, zero FTFs

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Have you looked at the new G43? It's in 9mm and I haven't seen any issues on it. Not sure if you're looking for .380 specific but the S&W Shield is similar in size to the G42.

G43, from what I've read, has similar recoil characteristics to the Shield, so that's a no go. The GF didn't like shooting the Shield, which is why I was searching for something that has very light recoil. The G42 seemed to fit that bill well. The only other smallish gun I know of that has pretty soft recoil is the Walther CCP. She likes my G19, but anything with worse recoil will not be appropriate.

I have a 42 on me probably 15-16hrs a day. I have one of the first ones made. i got one of the good ones. Easily 700 rounds through mine with a dozen different types of ammo. ..zero FTEs, zero FTFs

I wish I felt I have good enough luck that I could take the chance. I don't feel like playing the lottery. The only reason to buy a Glock IMO is to get great reliability (after a reasonable break in period). If it's a crapshoot, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I wish I felt I have good enough luck that I could take the chance. I don't feel like playing the lottery. The only reason to buy a Glock IMO is to get great reliability (after a reasonable break in period). If it's a crapshoot, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile...

Any gun can fail, any type of ammo can fail, either at the range or when you need it most. ANYTHING can fail, and given enough time, will fail at least once.

Hell I have a friend who was shooting a week ago and had a squib Hornady Critical Defense.

Sometimes sh*t happens

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

No offense, but are you sure you had a good grip and werent limp wristing? My 42 is awesome and eats anything I put in it. However if I hand it to my wife, I can pretty much guarantee a failure at least once per mag. They are nice, compact guns but are even less forgiving of technique than their larger brethren.

Thank you. I won't carry a gun myself which I don't feel is 100% reliable, so I won't allow my GF to carry something that isn't the same. I guess I'm looking for something else that is small, has little recoil and is more reliable. Maybe the Walther CCP. Not as small, but may meet the other needs...

G43, from what I've read, has similar recoil characteristics to the Shield, so that's a no go. The GF didn't like shooting the Shield, which is why I was searching for something that has very light recoil. The G42 seemed to fit that bill well. The only other smallish gun I know of that has pretty soft recoil is the Walther CCP. She likes my G19, but anything with worse recoil will not be appropriate.

Sounds like you guys want a 22LR pistol. Sorry, but the smaller you get the worse the felt recoil is going to be unless you also scale down the ammo too. You cant make the pistol smaller and lighter and not get more felt recoil. Stick with a steel frame like a PPK and felt recoil will be reduced, but the smaller you go the worse it gets. You need to train the aversion out of them and get them more range time to be more comfortable with the smaller guns.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Any gun can fail, any type of ammo can fail, either at the range or when you need it most. ANYTHING can fail, and given enough time, will fail at least once.

Hell I have a friend who was shooting a week ago and had a squib Hornady Critical Defense.

Sometimes sh*t happens

Understood, but I want to minimize the chances of problems. Going with a gun that is known to have issues seems like a poor place to start.

No offense, but are you sure you had a good grip and werent limp wristing? My 42 is awesome and eats anything I put in it. However if I hand it to my wife, I can pretty much guarantee a failure at least once per mag. They are nice, compact guns but are even less forgiving of technique than their larger brethren.

Sounds like you guys want a 22LR pistol. Sorry, but the smaller you get the worse the felt recoil is going to be unless you also scale down the ammo too. You cant make the pistol smaller and lighter and not get more felt recoil. Stick with a steel frame like a PPK and felt recoil will be reduced, but the smaller you go the worse it gets. You need to train the aversion out of them and get them more range time to be more comfortable with the smaller guns.

It's understandable that most smaller guns have more recoil. My understanding is that the G42 was an extremely soft shooter and I know the Walther CCP is as well. You CAN get a softer shooting gun in a small size, but I want to make sure there aren't any major compromises when doing so. With the G42, it sounds like there are some caveats I'm not sure I'm willing to live with. My buddy has a Walther CCP that he bought for his wife, I'll have to see what the reliability has been on that gun.

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana

Wow-you are indeed a lucky one. Most of what I have read online most people initially had some sort of issues when they first got them. Do you mind if I ask what your born date is for it?

Last edited:

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    I want to try one of the new G43's-need to find a place that rents them to try out. Not sure if the recoil will be too much for her. She will have to try it too. Never fired a shield, but I have fired a full size. I have never been a fan of M&P triggers in how they are hinged and they don't have solid reset that clicks like glocks and most other firearms. Not sure if they are still like that.

Top Bottom