• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    “Once the last round is fired, the action should be to lock back. In this case it wouldn't lock back and then basically the slide would fall off the front of the barrel if you tipped it down,” said Roby."

Hopefully more information will become available, this doesn't make any sense. If the slide lock was broken I could see the slide coming off of the frame easily provided the trigger had been pulled. I don't see that having anything to do with the slide locking open (or not) on an empty magazine. Where are the cracks located?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I think the high pressure and resultant increased wear was one of the reasons the FBI stated they were moving away from .40 cal.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Disclaimer: Im not a Glock fan.

To be fair, they were purchased in 2000 and who knows the round count.
    40 cal is harsh on guns.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Being an armorer for a few different manufacturers one thing i heard echoed over and over again was "40 cal is hard on the guns". Just the way it works. Not so much that it's a high pressure round just that it is hard on the guns. This is proof of it. Certainly a round count would be great to see just how hard these guns have been ran in the last 15 years.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Too little information. What was the RSA replacement schedule and other maintenance and inspections. Even in a small dept I did them yearly. In a small dept 15 years isn't unusual depending on their round count. Every dept is different. I've worked places that shot 200rds a year and worked in a 20 man dept that fired 1500 rds per officer a year. In a larger dept it would be time to trade due to probable finish wear alone and add dead night sights and magazine replacement being greater than the value of that gun. Years ago Chuck Taylor bought a Glock 17 and run, last I heard, 400k round thru it with minimal maintenance. I doubt a 22 would do the same without least a occasional broken frame rail, locking block or trigger pin, slide stop and many RSA replacements. I would be like to pay them a visit and look thru them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I called a friend/LEO in Russellville, KY who put me in touch with an officer on Bardstown PD. He told me that they aren't concerned about the pistols, they've been rode hard and put away wet. The frames are cracking near the muzzle, the slide stops are worn and not locking the slides back reliably. A few of the pistols will allow the slide to come off of the frame without depressing the slide lock, I'm guessing the slide lock springs are shot or broken.

Having shot on more than one range with officers from various departments in KY I have no doubt these guns have seen some use. You don't want to be anywhere downrange of a good ol boy from KY if he's got you in his sights. Those boys can shoot.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I called a friend/LEO in Russellville, KY who put me in touch with an officer on Bardstown PD. He told me that they aren't concerned about the pistols, they've been rode hard and put away wet. The frames are cracking near the muzzle, the slide stops are worn and not locking the slides back reliably. A few of the pistols will allow the slide to come off of the frame without depressing the slide lock, I'm guessing the slide lock springs are shot or broken.

Having shot on more than one range with officers from various departments in KY I have no doubt these guns have seen some use. You don't want to be anywhere downrange of a good ol boy from KY if he's got you in his sights. Those boys can shoot.

At least they get their monkeys worth.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I ain't biting on the whole "40 is hard on guns" I know plenty of guys who have put WAYYY more rounds of 40 through a Glock with no problems at all. There is more to this story that hasn't been told yet. Even if every one of these guns got 2000 rounds per year, every year, which I HIGHLY doubt, that gun shouldn't be close to worn out.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I ain't biting on the whole "40 is hard on guns" I know plenty of guys who have put WAYYY more rounds of 40 through a Glock with no problems at all. There is more to this story that hasn't been told yet. Even if every one of these guns got 2000 rounds per year, every year, which I HIGHLY doubt, that gun shouldn't be close to worn out.
    Yet that is exactly what they appear to be. Usually this kind of information doesn't become public knowledge. ISP had problems with Beretta 96's and switched to Glock 22's and then to Glock 17's. Reported problems with all pistols. I know that the Beretta 96D's the feds were issued back in the day had a round count replacement life and officers were supposed to keep a log for each pistol.

Top Bottom