• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I want to make some grips for my Hi Power when I get home. I am currently overseas and have access to wood, but obviously not my Hi Power.
    Would someone be willing to measure the girth and length of the Hi Powers butt? :rockwoot:

The grips will wrap around so I need to find some pieces that are wide enough and long enough. These measurements do not have to be precise, the bigger the better, but they will give me and idea of what I need to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This. If you fall so in love with a type of wood that you're willing to bring it back from overseas, then you need enough that you can screw up a piece without it being the end of the project.

I totally read that the wrong way. Sometimes I just can't help myself. :grabass:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    On any project like this I learned many years ago to buy enough material to make at least two or three. One of them will turn out perfect. Or make the first trial set from some cheap wood. Use the old grips for a pattern and make yours larger, then do final fitting. Also BE AWARE that many types of imported hardwoods can cause serious reactions if you breathe the dust from sawing or sanding it or if it gets in your eyes. I once helped a guy cut and some Pau ferro (ironwood) to make some grips and we were both pretty sick for 2 weeks afterwards even though we both wore dust masks. That ironwood also burned up several metal cutting bandsaw blades. Just so you know what you may be getting into. Don't take any chances with exotic woods. People who were didn't that they were allergic to some exotic wood ended up in the emergency room because they couldn't breathe after getting it in their lungs. Many exotic woods like Pau ferro and rosewood will not take any kind of varnish or polyethylene finishes. The best thing I have found for a finish is plain old Kiwi brown shoe polish.

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Wow, thanks for the info! I will be careful. I plan on getting quite a bit. I will have to cut it close to size here to get it through customs, but I plan on getting extra.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    On any project like this I learned many years ago to buy enough material to make at least two or three. One of them will turn out perfect. Or make the first trial set from some cheap wood. Use the old grips for a pattern and make yours larger, then do final fitting. Also BE AWARE that many types of imported hardwoods can cause serious reactions if you breathe the dust from sawing or sanding it or if it gets in your eyes. I once helped a guy cut and some Pau ferro (ironwood) to make some grips and we were both pretty sick for 2 weeks afterwards even though we both wore dust masks. That ironwood also burned up several metal cutting bandsaw blades. Just so you know what you may be getting into. Don't take any chances with exotic woods. People who were didn't that they were allergic to some exotic wood ended up in the emergency room because they couldn't breathe after getting it in their lungs. Many exotic woods like Pau ferro and rosewood will not take any kind of varnish or polyethylene finishes. The best thing I have found for a finish is plain old Kiwi brown shoe polish.

That's the sort of thing that most folks (myself included) just never think about as a hazard.
    Rep inbound.

Top Bottom