• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marlin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    North Liberty
    I am thinking of adding one to my collection. So I went out and shot an M&P 9, Glock 17, Steyr and an XD.

I liked the trigger and feel of the M&P. Thought the Glock's trigger was a little heavy and the feel was OK. I liked the front sight on the Steyr but other than that thought it was an OK gun. I liked the trigger and the feel of the XD but have a concern over the grip safety. I would say that overall it would be a tie between the XD and the M&P. Maybe a slight edge to the M&P due to the lack of grip safety.

I would say I shot all of them about equally.

These are my top four and the only ones I am considering let me hear your opinions of these four guns.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    these four guns.

Try a walther, either a ppq or p99 before you decide.

:facepalm:

I'm an M&P guy myself. I have the full size, compact and Shield all in 9mm. I like the way they fit my hand better than the comparable Glocks/Xd's/etc. My full size has an APEX trigger kit in it (how I bought it used through the classifieds) but the compact and Shield are stock, still good shooters :yesway:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    :facepalm:

I'm an M&P guy myself. I have the full size, compact and Shield all in 9mm. I like the way they fit my hand better than the comparable Glocks/Xd's/etc. My full size has an APEX trigger kit in it (how I bought it used through the classifieds) but the compact and Shield are stock, still good shooters :yesway:

You left out the part where you suggest the P320. Rook.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Why are you limiting yourself to "only these 4 guns"? There's a good market of striker fired pistols, take advantage of it and try some others out. Have you picked up a PPQ or VP9? The ergos are leagues above the XD, M&P, and glock.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Buy the one you shoot the best. I did the same thing a few years ago and chose the XDm. I simply shot it the best of all the ones I tried. I was leary of the grip safety also but it is a non issue.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    XD: Decent gun. Ive owned a couple.

Steyr: No experience

M&P: Great guns but close to no support with OEM parts.

Glock: Great aftermarket/OEM support. Great shooters.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I own many of those mentioned:
    My Favs:
    Toss up between PPQ & VP9, with P320 being a close 2nd.
    M&P is 3rd, but add Apex Trigger & it jumps up to 3-way tie for first.

I don't care for glocks ergos, nor XD feel, but YMMV.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am a walther fan, but I own some M&Ps and I really like those too. I've shot the other guns on your list except for the Steyr. The Glock, well it's a Glock, which in itself isn't a very compelling reason to choose it over the others. You either like it better or you don't. I didn't care for the XD.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So besides adding it to your collection, what is the intended purpose? Carry, competition, nightstand gun? How do you carry today? What other guns do you have? Need more info to make a recommendation.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I love my XD, and I have never had any problems with the grip safety. If you don't mind an ugly gun, I'd go with the springfield for sure!

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I shot a PPQ today, really wanted to love it but just didn't. It sure felt good in my hand, until I pulled the trigger. I dunno, maybe I just need more time with it. As far as striker fired pistols go though, I shoot XD's a lot better. Sometimes even better than my Beretta.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I like Glocks and M&P's.. I would really like to have a VP9 though! I'd check out a few more before you make your choice!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why are you limiting yourself to "only these 4 guns"? There's a good market of striker fired pistols, take advantage of it and try some others out. Have you picked up a PPQ or VP9? The ergos are leagues above the XD, M&P, and glock.

I wouldn't say the PPQ's ergos are leagues above the rest. There's more to ergos than a great grip. Many manufacturers have figured out how to make an ambi slide lock without hanging a crowbar on each side. Damn thing gets in my way. And though the grip is better than my M&P pro, it's not leagues better.

It's one of those things where it's really up to each person which is better. But I do think the PPQ should be on anyone's list looking for a striker fired pistol. Love the grip, love the trigger, looks cool, handles well. My only problem with it is the obtrusive slide stop lever. Had to change my grip so the slide would lock back on last round. WTF were they thinking? Had the same problem when I shot a HK. Must be Germans have short ... thumbs.

I shot a PPQ today, really wanted to love it but just didn't. It sure felt good in my hand, until I pulled the trigger. I dunno, maybe I just need more time with it. As far as striker fired pistols go though, I shoot XD's a lot better. Sometimes even better than my Beretta.

The trigger is usually the thing most people love about the PPQ. For me, at least, I think the PPQ has the best stock trigger of any striker fired gun I've ever shot. My M&P Pro C.O.R.E comes pretty close though.

Top Bottom