Life expectancy of an Airweight Smith J frame?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've always wondered about this. I'm a bit old-school in some things, and the metallurgy of a revolver seems to be one of them. I fondly remember the model 60 3 inch I had back in the early 90's - back when the 60 was a 38, not a 357. I loved that little gun but of course was young and stupid and traded it for something I can't even remember now.

My getting back into guns and shooting has been very enjoyable over the last few years. But I just can't get that "feeling" for any autoloader that I have for wheelguns. I cut my teeth on them back then, and I've just decided that, for me, what I shoot and carry is the old tried-and-true wheelgun. I've strayed for the last time (I keep telling myself!). Give me a J frame!

SO. Money IS an object, in this case. I've been offered an absolutely SMOKIN' deal on a new 640 Pro, but it's still going to fetch a bit over $300 more from my wallet than an Airweight. In my mind, the 640 is a great idea for me. All steel for durability, recoil control, etc. BUT. $3xx more.

So, I shoot what I carry. I don't have "range" guns. I don't have safe queens. I shoot what I carry, and I carry what I shoot.

What's the life expectancy of an Airweight? Am I just too concerned about the "long haul" with an aluminum frame? I don't shoot the boomers I used to. Plus P 38 is the biggest boom I feel I need, and that's only in moderation with carry ammo from time to time. How long can I expect an Airweight to last without getting into timing problems, tolerances opening up, etc, shooting (mainly) standard pressure loads with some +P now and again?

Any long-time Airweight owners/shooters that can weigh in? Thanks!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    One of the reasons I went with the 640 over the 340 was the steel frame and long term durability. It's no secrete that J frames, even the steel framed ones, won't live forever if fed a steady diet of .357. Smith has even said as much. Of course it usually takes a few thousand rounds before issues start so there is that. I know some people will put thousands of .357 through a J frame but I just don't think I'm going to do that with mine. But the steel frame Js should handle as many standard .38s and +P 38s that you would ever care to shoot and a few hundred .357s won't hurt it any either. All I know of the alloy framed ones is .357 will wear them out faster, but it takes more than most will ever shoot out of them to do it. I have read that with a steady diet of .38 and +P .38 with a few cylinders of .357 carry ammo a year and they last a good long while.

I still say go for the PRO!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    the new Model 66 is out...and it is far more sturdy than the old style ones. They are a great gun. and i agree on the wheel guns and on the 60, it's a great little gun, I would dearly love to have one.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Wes, I know the wallet speaks the truth... but I don't think you would have started this thread if you weren't at least considering the 640 Pro.

Even when shooting 38 loads, a steel wheelie is going to be much more pleasant in the palm than an alloy ever could be. I'll also add that I basically turned my stock 640 into a Pro by adding an XS Big Dot front sight, and an Apex spring kit ($$ well spent on the spring kit, this was a huge improvement over the stock trigger). Lessons learned? Get it the way you want it to begin with, if you can. Buy once, cry once. I probably spent more on my 640 setup than I would have by getting a good deal on a 640 Pro in the first place.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    ;)

Seriously, cool that you've come full circle with wheel guns. I am somewhat new to discovering them myself. I won't give up some of my key semi-autos, but now carry my 640 AIWB daily, it's just about perfect for summer carry duties.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    In all honesty though get what you think will suit your needs and budget best. If it's an alloy or steel frame it will surely serve you well for years to come.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Wes, I have a 66 that I will let you shoot if you want. I will even meet you at Midwest and get you in Freeeeeeee.

I think you still have my number. Give me a call or shoot me a text ifin you wanna choot it.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Wes, I have a 66 that I will let you shoot if you want. I will even meet you at Midwest and get you in Freeeeeeee.

I think you still have my number. Give me a call or shoot me a text ifin you wanna choot it.

Appreciate the offer, sir. Had a 66 snub years ago, too....*sniff*.

Ah, the stupidity of youth....

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    You've been around INGO long enough to know it's just what we do. You don't expect a bunch of gun guys to talk you out of buying a gun do you?
    OOH, OOH! FANTASTIC IDEA! INGO version of a GoFundMe! 37k INGO members, at only $.01 per, makes up the difference for the PRO!

Winning!

Hello? Is this thing on?

:)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    :hijack:

What AIWB holster do you use for your 640? I just ordered a Desantis Flex-Tuk for mine.

I hesitate to say after seeing some of the flames in previous "what's the best holster" threads. I've tried several, and for whatever reason, the Remora (with the belt clip) works for me. It stays exactly where I put it, doesn't bother the finish, keeps the gun dry with the "sweat shield" option, and the trigger covered.

Please don't make me turn in my Man Card!

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I have a few wheel guns....it's a bit heavier, but the Ruger SP 101 can't be beat, SOLID stainless steel. Will fire till your hands can't stand the recoil of a .357 Magnum

Top Bottom