• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi Guys and girls;
    I have some good news and some great news for Star PD .45 owners.
    You know that recoil buffer pad that's on the recoil guide rod that you cannot find a replacement for? Well now there's a new source for quality replacement buffers. That's the good news.
    Now for the great news, these are affordable, $5.00 or less plus shipping depending on how many you buy.
    I bought 10 of them and that got the price down to $4.00 each plus shipping.
    I changed mine out in less than 1 minute per gun and they worked great. They match the originals perfectly.
    This is who to contact if your interested in buying some for yourself. jim-dawg@comcast.net
    Use these links to see pictures of them.
    http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/flightsimmer_2009/Frontside506roundstested.jpg
    http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo106/flightsimmer_2009/backside506roundstested.jpg
    Have a great weekend everybody, Dan.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Thanks for this info, guys. I have a PD that I carry frequently. I used to have to whittle mine out of Colt style buffers with a dremel tool. Love that pistol. Super accurate and reliable.....John

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate the info fellas! I have had my PD for years and haven't shot it in ages just because I have no idea how many rounds has been through the gun and not being able to find the shock buffs. I just ordered a Wolff service pack kit for the gun today and would love to top it off with new shock buffs. What holsters are you guys using for the PD? Mine still has the original finish on it in good condition and I want to keep the least amount of holster wear on it as possible.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I carry mine a lot in an old Galco jackass rig. I took it to a leather shop and had them put in another snap on the retaining strap to fit my PD. Now all my govt. models fit in the same holster, and so do all the mags in the double mag pouch. I have a LW Commander in .38 super that also carries well in it.
    I have carried and shot mine so much that it only has about 70% of the anodizing on the frame, so don't really give much thought to holster wear. Also use a cross draw for totin it but the maker slips my mind right now. I did win a bowling pin match with that PD at MCFG about 1988. Really surprised me!
    Didn't think I stood a chance with that little beast because of recovery time between shots. Will shoot 2 inch groups at 25 yards and I don't have any idea how or why. It just does. Never had anything done to it. Got about $1,400 in just smithing on my Colt bullseye gun and it is not a whole lot more accurate.
    I read an article about the PD's many years ago, that stated they were prone to frame cracking after from 1,200 to 2000 full house rounds. I should look for another minty one to replace mine if it cracks.
    BTW, I am the lucky owner of an original magazine extension for PD's. Picked it off a table at 1500 show about 1987 or so....Was offered $75 for it shortly thereafter, but no way would I sell it....Only one I ever saw outside of picture....John

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I don't even have a holster for my Star PD. It sits in the safe, I'll take it out and wipe it down every so often. I'll bet it's been 20 years since I last shot mine.

hot rod al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok. Now I've got another crazy question and I'll try to leave you guys alone. How do I find out when my gun was produced. I can't find anything about this online.

oldmamu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I have a star pd that has developed a problem. After replacing the extractor spring the mag wants to pop loose after a couple of shots. Pistol has never done this before and does it with various mags so they're not the problem. Replaced the mag release spring but this didn't help either. Mags snap in and can't be pulled loose but still pop out after a couple of shots. Has anyone had this problem or know of a fix? Gun has only had 4-5 hundred rds. run thru it since I bought it new some 30+ yrs. ago.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yes! I have had this problem with one of my PD's. I took the mag release button out and made sure it was fully seating and that it was not worn where it contacts the magazine and that the magazines were not getting metal shaved from contact with the mag release when you shove it into place.
    I have developed a habit of pushing in on the button to help the magazine past the release so it doesn't shave away any metal while inserting it. I now do this with all of my autos.
    I don't know if a mag button assembly from a Colt or clone will fit or not, I haven't had to try it yet but they look similar.

klsears00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    N.E. Indy
    I was searching for information about Star PD .45cal hand guns and found this thread regarding the recoil buffers.

My Dad is giving me a Star PD, simply for home protection, and I thought about trading for something that might have less recoil, however, I haven't shot this gun yet. With the plastic buffer, I saw somewhere else online that recoil with this handgun is more like a 9mm. What are others opinions?

If I wanted to sell or trade this gun, what's the best way to get the estimated value?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Top Bottom