• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have pretty much made my decision on my new pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 Carry, and I have one on order for delivery Monday at Tim's in Westfield (not paid for yet). I thought I would post here once to see if anyone has any other suggestions of things I have not considered or things I should think about before "pulling the trigger" on my new gun.

As I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, I went to Tim's ready to pick up a Glock 19. I shot a box of ammo through the Glock, and then as an afterthought (and a recommendation from Doug who works at Tim's), I also fired a box of ammo through the Sig P320. I was pretty much sold at that point!

The Sig felt better in my hand, and I loved the grip, and especially the trigger compared to the Glock. It is not that the Glock felt "bad" in any way, but the Sig just felt sturdier and more solid in my hand (did I mention that I loved the grip and the trigger yet? :): ).

The one downside that one could argue is that Glocks are so popular, there is a ton of 3rd-party aftermarket stuff for them. New grips and grip covers, beautiful holsters, laser sights (not that I am going to get one, but...), you name it. I see very few comparatively speaking for the Sig. Another thing that I notice is the lack of chatter on this site (and others that I have perused) about Sigs in general. Tons of posts on Glocks, S&Ws, etc., but very little on the Sigs. Is there a reason for this?

I know everyone's opinion is going to be tainted towards the gun(s) they own... "Love the gun you're with"... but are there other pieces I should be looking at?

Here are my needs/wants:

• 9 mm (my wife can shoot the 9mm, so when we buy her a gun, we can share ammo, she can shoot my gun, etc.) - I considered the .40 S&W, but have decided to go 9mm.
    • It is going to used as a CC gun as well, so I do not want to go too big, but the sub-compact guns do not appeal to me from a comfort level, and I cannot shoot them accurately.
    • I like the striker-fired design. I am not *totally* opposed to a hammer, but for the most part, I am sticking to striker fired models. I don't care for the 1911 designs, especially for CC obviously.
    • Budget is <$600

OK, what am I missing?

I don't really want to start a huge debate on the Glock 19 vs. the Sig P320, but this is probably the debate that is raging inside of my head. I saw a few posts/videos online, and of course there are good points on both sides of the fence.

I have heard several people comment here about getting the gun that feels right to you, and the Sig definitely fits that bill best so far. Are there other guns that I should try out besides the Glock and the Sig? I did not fire anything from S&W, and the Kimbers are way too pricey (although they are absolutely gorgeous!). Anything else that I might want to try before pulling out my credit card on Monday?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I don't mean to over-analyze, but thought it was worth asking the collective brain trust around here to see if I might be missing something I should be considering.

James

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am a Glock guy, I am heavily invested in the platform and nothing will likely ever change that.

However, in the past few years there have been many quality striker fired guns to come along that fit peoples hands better.

So, if the Sig fits your hand, buy it, shoot the hell out of it. Have fun, and be confident in your purchase.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have a P320 Compact in 9mm & happy with it, did upgrade sights to Trijicon HD. I plan on picking up the .45 version as soon as it hits LGS.

That being said, while it's nice, I much prefer my HK VP9 & PPQ 9 over the Sig. I did rent an XDM 9mm a couple weeks ago, & while trigger paled in comparison to others, I shot it very well.

Why VP9 & PPQ over the Sig: Fits my hand better, I like triggers better (marginal on that), mostly I shoot them better.

Personnaly, I think you'll be happy with Sig, mine's a keeper.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IF you shoot the Sig better, dont drink the Glock Kool Aid. They are great guns, but shoot what is right for YOU. (not everybody else)

You found a gun that works for what YOU need. Go for it.

ETA: I drink said kook aid.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    IF you shoot the Sig better, dont drink the Glock Kool Aid. They are great guns, but shoot what is right for YOU. (not everybody else)

You found a gun that works for what YOU need. Go for it.

This ^^^ I have a Sig P320 Compact as well and pretty much went through the same thought process a few months ago. Doubt it will replace my M&P as my primary handgun but it's definitely giving it a run for it's money right now. Love the versatility of the P320 series in terms of frame sizes, slide sizes, etc.

Go for it!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Since my original post, I have watched some pretty good reviews of the Walther PPQ and the HK VP9. The PPQ looks appealing for sure, but I will need to put one in my hand and shoot a bit with it to know for sure. The HK is probably worth picking up and checking out as well.

RustyHornet mentions the CZ. Which one do you recommend? All I see on their web site is hammer-fired, and Google didn't help much either.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Very cool! I would love to shoot a 320! I really want a VP9, but I haven't had my hands on the sig yet...

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    IF you get a chance try to put some rounds down a Canik TP9SA , take it. After shooting Glocks (Own a Glock 19), Sigs( Owned several) and others-- its my favorite and the price is definately right.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    RustyHornet mentions the CZ. Which one do you recommend? All I see on their web site is hammer-fired, and Google didn't help much either.

Since it seems like you're after a polymer frame I would suggest taking a look at the P-07. I have it's bigger brother the P-09 and I love it, super accurate, ergos are great and the trigger amazing. Yes they are all hammer fired, but I made the switch from a glock and I am not looking back.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Since my original post, I have watched some pretty good reviews of the Walther PPQ and the HK VP9. The PPQ looks appealing for sure, but I will need to put one in my hand and shoot a bit with it to know for sure. The HK is probably worth picking up and checking out as well.

Cz 75 - lots of flavors
    2075 rami - compact and awesome
    or the P07 , P09

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I prefer the Kahr P 9 or PM 9 for my everyday carry gun.I would try one of the Kahrs if I were you.

The Kahr stuff looks nice, no doubt. The P9 and the PM9 are pretty small, and maybe a bit too small for my tastes. I will do some more looking into them. All of the 9mm variants that I found on their web site were all single stack, and most of them have barrels shorter than 4", although there were a few with longer barrels.

I don't want to over analyze this, and at this point I think I have narrowed it down to the Walthar PPQ, the HK VP9 and the Sig P320. They are all great guns, and all have pluses and minuses. I am going to head down to Tim's and check out all 3 side-by-side and see which ones feels best in my hand, and which one shoots best in my hand. I really can't go wrong with either of the 3 choices.

Thanks for all the advice folks. I will post back and let you know what I decided tomorrow!

James

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I went down to Tim's today to check out the HK VP9 and the Walthar PPQ. Unfortunately, they did not have the Walthar, but I did check out the VP9. Wow. Very, very nice. I loved the trigger, it was very close to the Sig (I think I preferred the Sig slightly), but oh my gosh, did it ever feel great in my hand! I did not actually put any ammo through it, only dry fired, but tomorrow, I plan on using the VP9 in vain, and getting a better feel for it in a real situation.

I gotta say that the pendulum has swung towards the HK a bit now. I also picked up the Glock 19 again, and there is no doubt that it is out of the running still. I don't like the grip, I don't like the trigger as well, and the slide release is hard to operate compared to the Sig or the HK.

The HK is about $100 more than the Sig, and I need to determine if it is worth the extra money. We will see how it shoots tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I am glad I checked out the H&K.

James

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I went down to Tim's today to check out the HK VP9 and the Walthar PPQ. Unfortunately, they did not have the Walthar, but I did check out the VP9. Wow. Very, very nice. I loved the trigger, it was very close to the Sig (I think I preferred the Sig slightly), but oh my gosh, did it ever feel great in my hand! I did not actually put any ammo through it, only dry fired, but tomorrow, I plan on using the VP9 in vain, and getting a better feel for it in a real situation.

I gotta say that the pendulum has swung towards the HK a bit now. I also picked up the Glock 19 again, and there is no doubt that it is out of the running still. I don't like the grip, I don't like the trigger as well, and the slide release is hard to operate compared to the Sig or the HK.

The HK is about $100 more than the Sig, and I need to determine if it is worth the extra money. We will see how it shoots tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I am glad I checked out the H&K.

James

Cool! The VP9 is a fantastic pistol. I have a PPQ, and prefer it just a bit. But if one were not available, I wouldn't feel a bit bad about owning the H&K. Ive got to agree with you on the Glock as well. 30 years ago they were very innovative. Well, they're still stuck in the 80's, except for some small changes. They have been surpassed, and eventually the market will figure this out.

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    I have pretty much made my decision on my new pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 Carry, and I have one on order for delivery Monday at Tim's in Westfield (not paid for yet). I thought I would post here once to see if anyone has any other suggestions of things I have not considered or things I should think about before "pulling the trigger" on my new gun.

As I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, I went to Tim's ready to pick up a Glock 19. I shot a box of ammo through the Glock, and then as an afterthought (and a recommendation from Doug who works at Tim's), I also fired a box of ammo through the Sig P320. I was pretty much sold at that point!

The Sig felt better in my hand, and I loved the grip, and especially the trigger compared to the Glock. It is not that the Glock felt "bad" in any way, but the Sig just felt sturdier and more solid in my hand (did I mention that I loved the grip and the trigger yet? :): ).

The one downside that one could argue is that Glocks are so popular, there is a ton of 3rd-party aftermarket stuff for them. New grips and grip covers, beautiful holsters, laser sights (not that I am going to get one, but...), you name it. I see very few comparatively speaking for the Sig. Another thing that I notice is the lack of chatter on this site (and others that I have perused) about Sigs in general. Tons of posts on Glocks, S&Ws, etc., but very little on the Sigs. Is there a reason for this?

I know everyone's opinion is going to be tainted towards the gun(s) they own... "Love the gun you're with"... but are there other pieces I should be looking at?

Here are my needs/wants:

• 9 mm (my wife can shoot the 9mm, so when we buy her a gun, we can share ammo, she can shoot my gun, etc.) - I considered the .40 S&W, but have decided to go 9mm.
    • It is going to used as a CC gun as well, so I do not want to go too big, but the sub-compact guns do not appeal to me from a comfort level, and I cannot shoot them accurately.
    • I like the striker-fired design. I am not *totally* opposed to a hammer, but for the most part, I am sticking to striker fired models. I don't care for the 1911 designs, especially for CC obviously.
    • Budget is <$600

OK, what am I missing?

I don't really want to start a huge debate on the Glock 19 vs. the Sig P320, but this is probably the debate that is raging inside of my head. I saw a few posts/videos online, and of course there are good points on both sides of the fence.

I have heard several people comment here about getting the gun that feels right to you, and the Sig definitely fits that bill best so far. Are there other guns that I should try out besides the Glock and the Sig? I did not fire anything from S&W, and the Kimbers are way too pricey (although they are absolutely gorgeous!). Anything else that I might want to try before pulling out my credit card on Monday?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I don't mean to over-analyze, but thought it was worth asking the collective brain trust around here to see if I might be missing something I should be considering.

James
    Glock 19 or 19c ported is a good option, xdm 9 compact, Mp9c
    PPQ,, Beretta storm compact 9, Sig 2020 9mm, Xd compact 9, Ruger SR9,
    Cz, RIA, or Taurus 9mm 1911, 357 revolvers.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I also have the 320 compact,and love it. I was never a double action guy,but this striker fired turned me around.
    I've shot 5 different types of ammo through it........no problem.
    Being a lefty,the ambi features are a plus.
    It's also my first double stack.
    I had a Glock guy dry fire it,and he said "is that it",he was impressed with the trigger.
    This is my 3rd Sig,and again I purchased another high quality gun!
    Purchase price: $499.+tax.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I like my P320 very much. Trigger is very nice and crisp. I just ordered an Alien Gear Tuck 3.0 IWB base to replace my 2.0 version. AG makes an all day comfortable IWB holster.

Top Bottom