• ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Hey gang!

Is it Ok to ask the collective wisdom of this group for a price estimate on used pistols?

My father-in-law pasted away in March and I'm cleaning and trying to price the guns he owned for my mother-in-law. All of these are in used, not so great condition with very visible usage wear, scratches and small amounts of rust here and there. I've been polishing these with a cloth and all of the normal soft cleaning to bring these back to life. With the barrels cleaned, they look good and shiney down the bore and I'm not worried about firing them.

I've gone out to GunBroker and looked around but most of these are in new or like new condition. These guns are not so pristine. Any thoughts on the value of these? Not interested in selling these at this time, but if the mother-in-law comes into some financial trouble, having a ballpark value would be useful.

Smith & Wesson, 9mm
    Model: 39-2
    Serial: A208661

H. Schmidt Ostheim Rhoen, .22 magnum (Hayes Fire Arms Co. on the barrel)
    Model: Buffalo Scout, "HS 73" stamped below the cylinder
    Serial: 591381

Colt, .38 Special (long barel)
    Model: Police Positive
    Serial: 249093 with a "C" below the number

Colt, .38 Special (short barel)
    Model: Cobra
    Serial: 241542 with what looks like "g LW" below the number

Harrington & Richardson Arms, 12ga, break action (Not Pictured)
    Model: Topper M48
    Serial: I 21191

Harrington & Richardson, Inc., 12ga, break action (Not Pictured)
    Model: Unknown
    Serial: AN238971

Thank you for any guidance on these.

Mike

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Ok, given there's been a lot of views and no replies, I take it that this is unacceptable.

Mod, please delete the thread.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry Mike, I just saw this today, yes the box adds in the value as well as anything else that came with the pistol. Please go to www.gunbroker.com for some idea of how much to ask for some on your list. I ddint find any S&W Mdl 39's there today but the Colt Cobras found there were listed at between $350-$450.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Ok, given there's been a lot of views and no replies, I take it that this is unacceptable.

Mod, please delete the thread.

Nothing unacceptable about this thread, I think a bunch of people don't know what to tell you as far as value. The SW39-2 will probably bring about $375. Can't help you with the Colts though. As someone mentioned, I would go to the Sold listings on Gunbroker.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It might be worth a visual search of the WTB section of the classifieds, a few months worth of pages deep. There are occasional posters looking to buy old revolvers, especially Colt. (1st I found was a "shooter," but I think there are others.)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Go to Gunbroker. Click on "Advanced Search". Click on "Closed Auctions".
    Search for make/model/caliber in this section. It will show you what pieces actually sold for and not just what people are asking.

Welcome to Ingo.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    These guns are not the normal run of handguns seen every day for sale. If my memory is working the H&R Topper, not sure I've seen it 12 gauge, is pretty old and to some collectible but not a lot value.
    100 to 200 maybe. The other H&R $100 all day, any functioning gun is at least worth $100.

Are you sure the Colt 38 Police Postive is a 38 special or 38 S&W there is a big difference. Value ? $200 to 350?

Colt Cobra, Being snub nose is good, they are what is going now. Value? $200 to 350?

The 22mag go for about $100, from the looks like it was made in the 50's and can be high quality but low resale. $100+

Sorry can't help on more values they're not what looking for right now. These prices are just a fair guess so please your own research if you decide to sell.

Thanks for posting pics though, always like looking at guns on the days off.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The 39 looks like an alloy frame, not steel (steel is a lot more valuable). Decent to good condition, $400-$450 (more and more people are searching out model 39s nowadays. But depends on the buyer. Buyers might want to replace something they sold long ago and they think they can get them for $200 again)

Police Positive, does it have a little bit of pitting or is it the reflection? Grips definitely not original, if everything locks up tight, screw heads are clean, no one messed with the V spring, $400 maybe. Grips may or may not be a killer at that price, can always get decent looking reproduction factory grips off ebay. The bluing looks like its work and it may have pitting, so $375 might be more accurate but at the same time those old Colts were good guns and someone will probably pay $400 for it cause it will go up in value.

The Cobra looks good, but same things apply to this as toe Police Positive. $400-$430. Screw heads, lock up, overall condition.

These are the 3 I'm confident in, if you had the boxes and paperwork for these 3, then I'd increase the value by $50-$75 ea.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Go to Gunbroker. Click on "Advanced Search". Click on "Closed Auctions".
    Search for make/model/caliber in this section. It will show you what pieces actually sold for and not just what people are asking.

Good tip, I did not know you could search closed auctions. Will do that now!

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Are you sure the Colt 38 Police Postive is a 38 special or 38 S&W there is a big difference. Value ? $200 to 350?

That's exactly what's stamped on the barrel "Police Positive 38 Special". What kind of price different do you think there'd be? I'll check out GunBroker closed sales but curious on your point of view.

Mike

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    The 39 looks like an alloy frame, not steel (steel is a lot more valuable). Decent to good condition, $400-$450 (more and more people are searching out model 39s nowadays. But depends on the buyer. Buyers might want to replace something they sold long ago and they think they can get them for $200 again)
    It appeared and felt steel to me when I took it apart and cleaned it. Now you have me second guessing. :)

Police Positive, does it have a little bit of pitting or is it the reflection? Grips definitely not original, if everything locks up tight, screw heads are clean, no one messed with the V spring, $400 maybe. Grips may or may not be a killer at that price, can always get decent looking reproduction factory grips off ebay. The bluing looks like its work and it may have pitting, so $375 might be more accurate but at the same time those old Colts were good guns and someone will probably pay $400 for it cause it will go up in value.
    Yea, it definitely has some pitting on it. As I said in my original post, these were not well cared for unfortunately. I'm working on bringing them back to life but some damage simply cannot be undone and I'm not going to do anything aggressive to them for fear of making matters worse.

The Cobra looks good, but same things apply to this as toe Police Positive. $400-$430. Screw heads, lock up, overall condition.

These are the 3 I'm confident in, if you had the boxes and paperwork for these 3, then I'd increase the value by $50-$75 ea.

Great feedback and thank you. I didn't know what value an original box would add.

Mike

Top Bottom