• ...and so much more!
  • HMMurdock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Greenwood aka G-Wood
    Greetings, all!

I have a Kimber Custom 1911A1 and a couple of years ago I swapped out the factory safety for an Ambi safety. I don't remember the brand, but it was Kimber, Wilson or Ed Brown -- it is "black" but has an almost purplish hue to it if that helps. Regardless, it was made by a good company.

However, sometimes it comes loose from the different sides internally and does not function correctly when flipping the safety off with my left hand. It is always reliable when using my right hand, but this only happens when I use my left hand. I have had it tightened back down a few times, but it keeps happening. So I want to change it out again.

To prevent this from ever happening again, I want the most reliable/durable ambi safety. What do you recommend and why?

Thank you for your time. :ingo:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Well... So much there to address. The short answer is that Wilson and Ed Brown both make excellent ambi safeties. If you buy one of those and have trouble with it, it's probably you or a bad install job. Plenty of other good ones, as well, but you pretty much can't go wrong with Wilson or brown parts.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mechanically they are all fragile IMHO.. Sturdiest of the lot is the assembly that's retained by a longer sear pin with a head that engages the RS safety lever.. The diameter of the shaft on the safety dictates that something driving through a tang assembly will be inherently weak.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The best ambi on the market right now is the wilson bulletproof. It won't develop that wiggle that most others do and you don't need the grip to hold it on. They are pricey but cough up the money once and you won't have to worry about it again.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Opposite question here....

I have a RIA 9mm 1911 "Tactical" that is one of my range toys. However, the ambi safety is ridiculously huge and when I try to disengage the safety with my thumb, the ambi side hits my palm at the first joint of my index finger. The safety is also so long, that I cannot get my thumb to ride it comfortable. The front of the safety jabs into the pad of my thumb. It makes it difficult and a pain to shoot.

I guess my hands are larger than average because I have several Glocks...which for me...are sized perfectly. I am very comfortable the grip size and trigger reach on them. Yet I continue to hear how large they are.

So this brings a couple of questions.

Could I just find a used safety and have a gunsmith fit it? Or would it require a brand new one? I don't know if this matters, but the RIA safety is the type that uses the longer pin that captures the right side of the safety in place. I am assuming that would need replaced as well or the pin would still be sticking out after the right side safety is removed.

If I can go with a used safety....is there anyone here that would be willing to swap it out for me? I am not a gunsmith and would not want to attempt this myself.

If I need to go with a new one, do you guys know of someone near the Ft. Wayne area that would put in just a standard sized left side only safety?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    The best ambi on the market right now is the wilson bulletproof. It won't develop that wiggle that most others do and you don't need the grip to hold it on. They are pricey but cough up the money once and you won't have to worry about it again.

This

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Opposite question here....

I have a RIA 9mm 1911 "Tactical" that is one of my range toys. However, the ambi safety is ridiculously huge and when I try to disengage the safety with my thumb, the ambi side hits my palm at the first joint of my index finger. The safety is also so long, that I cannot get my thumb to ride it comfortable. The front of the safety jabs into the pad of my thumb. It makes it difficult and a pain to shoot.

I guess my hands are larger than average because I have several Glocks...which for me...are sized perfectly. I am very comfortable the grip size and trigger reach on them. Yet I continue to hear how large they are.

So this brings a couple of questions.

Could I just find a used safety and have a gunsmith fit it? Or would it require a brand new one? I don't know if this matters, but the RIA safety is the type that uses the longer pin that captures the right side of the safety in place. I am assuming that would need replaced as well or the pin would still be sticking out after the right side safety is removed.

If I can go with a used safety....is there anyone here that would be willing to swap it out for me? I am not a gunsmith and would not want to attempt this myself.

If I need to go with a new one, do you guys know of someone near the Ft. Wayne area that would put in just a standard sized left side only safety?

"ALWAY'S" buy new when it is a safety feature. Have your smith fit it up to "Your" gun.
    Thing with the 1911 platform is so many company's offer them. The spec tolerances (Especially an RIA) are all over the place so get new parts and have them fit to your gun.

Glocks/M&P's ETC are made by their respective company's only so parts are an easier fit.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

From my limited 1911 knowledge I agree. Even that one is so so though if you have a boob of a gunsmith install it like I apparently did.

Top Bottom