• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Roommate is looking into buying a used SD9 off of his brother (for around $250). He's certainly getting it for home defense, but might be interested in carrying it. I'm a proud M&P owner and carrier, but I know little about the SD series.

Anyone have any positive/negative experience with the SD and/or advice I could pass onto to my roommate?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    They are reliable. Good guns except the trigger. The few have dry fired had long, heavy gritty triggers. That has been several years ago. Might have even been the Sigma line. For the price they are good. Might have him check into the Ruger 9E also. Low price and a heck of a gun.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Exactly what I've heard. My neighbor has one and I think, for the price, it's a great gun. The trigger on it is horrid. So heavy he and his buddy thought the sights were off because they were both shooting pretty far left with it. I took it to the range and was able to blow the center out of a target at 7 yards to show him it wasn't the sights, but the trigger.

If your roommate buys one, have him look at the Apex spring kit, which I've heard makes a big difference and is cheap:

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191685

There's also a replacement trigger:

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191674

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If that's true, the gun should be very nice, especially for ~$250. Since it's his brother, they should meet up at the range and shoot it to really decide if it's what he wants...

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good solid guns, can be found for $299 quite often, come with two 16rd mags, no manual thumb safety, and have plastic three dot sights. Trigger is around 8lbs factory and like others said easily upgradeable, although my Mom, myself and my best friend shoot them just fine. We have two in my family and both shoot quite well, able to dig a nice hole at 7yds like mentioned by wtburnette. At that price point IMO the only other handgun comparable in a striker fired polymer is the Ruger 9E, which only comes with one mag and has a manual thumb safety (if that matters to you).

Here is a review from the esteemed Hickok45 :

[video]https://youtu.be/1cleMs8xmqc[/video]

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    The sigma had the worse trigger sd line was improved O own both. They both lighten up even more with use. No issues or complaints from me about them. You can have one new for 300-350

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I would call them rugged and reliable. Th action sounds and feels like sliding metal over concrete but it works. I don't think the tigger is as bad as most say. I never knew it had a bad trigger until I started reading reviews of others with bad trigger control. My first time out with the sd9ve I was popping beer cans at 12-15 yards easily.

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    Ive had the SD9 and the VE version and both were a great value. I put 400 trouble free rounds through the VE one and a couple hundred through the other with no problems. The trigger was a bit heavy but the trigger reach and ergonomics were almost perfect for me. The trigger lightened up some after a couple hundred rounds and dry firing.

Papadaca

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    NWi
    At 250 tell him to get it! I have owned one, I will say its not exactly a M&p but it gets the job done...... its a good light weight pistol, its built some where between a mp n a sigma, uses MP sights, can use a glock 19/23 steel guide rod, uses sigma mags, and accessories. The SD has a nice combat trigger, good 4 a beginner to learn to shoot.

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    I paid $289.99 for mine new and it is an excellent and accurate gun. The trigger is a little heavy but it works fine for me. It is very close in size and weight to a Glock 19 and looks very much like one inside. I would buy it again.

Top Bottom