• ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It has arrived:

20150707_110825_zpsfbda46d1.jpg

Thanks to ITP for the smooth transfer and to Tooele Shooting Supply for a fantastically quick shipping time (same day!).

Initial impressions:

Neat. No more lawyer billboard on the side of the barrel. Left side is clean, right side says "45 AUTO - 45 COLT" on the half lug. Underneath it does say "read instruction manual..." but it's in a place you'll not see much and is better than the sides.

Grips are cool looking. There is a slight imperfection in the varnish on the left side, sort of like a hair got stuck in it. It's small enough I didn't notice but my wife did.

The gun has some serious heft. It feels substantial, for all the good and bad that implies. It's not going to be a comfy ankle gun... :):

Trigger is...meh. It's heavy. Even in SA it's heavier than I'd expect. In DA after about 200 trigger pulls I felt like I'd been using a hand gripper exerciser for too long. It's a workout. It is smooth, though, and it breaks cleanly in either DA or SA.

Shooting:

7 yards (ignore holes not on paper, they were already on the target)

20150707_113059_zps9993e13e.jpg

Now here's the bad news. That should have been 12 shots. It only touched off about half of my reloads using 15 year old CCI primers. Now these are hard primers to begin with, my P220 will fail to touch one off about every 20 rounds or so, but I'd expected about the same rate of success from the Redhawk.

I did not take any factory ammo with me, so I bought a box of Geco from ITP. Geco is German ammo and shoots fine, but also has hard primers. 49/50 went off on the first strike. The 50th went off after three hits.

I believe this is likely a primer issue. Eyeballing I could not see any difference in depth of strike on the ones that went bang and the ones that didn't go bang. I called Ruger to ask and they said it's set up for American ammo but its possible my moon clips were out of spec and were too thin so they're sending me 3 new ones free of charge. (Ruger customer service is awesome, btw).

I did not try any .45 Colt for the simple reason I didn't have any. I got my brass in the mail yesterday and will load some up for this Friday, though.

POI/POA seems dead on. As I got tired I started to drift left, as this 7 yard target shows:

20150707_113738_zpse0f15a39.jpg

That was all double action and my forearm was complaining about the trigger pull by that point, though, so that's me and not the gun.

Sights:

Nothing real special here, a very servicable tried and true Ruger set up. The front sight is an orange insert blade that can be swapped out by holding in a plunger on the front and lifting it off. The rear sight is an adjustable rear that allows for up/down and left/right adjustment with a small screw driver. I might swap the front out for a brass bead, but then again I may not. The orange was perfectly serviceable.

Recoil control:

The .45 auto kick was pretty light recoil in such a heavy revolver. The round butt design is not conducive to rapid fire, though, even with light recoil. With my hands my left hand can't get on there much and the design is such that it rocks in your hand instead of pushing straight back. That's great for really heavy loads where you'd rather it rock than split the web of your thumb, but I wouldn't make this a competition gun trying to shoot light loads real fast.

All in all:

It's pretty dang cool. It looks good. It will fill its role as a woods/farm gun while still being able to carry in town discretely if you choose to do so. The inability to touch off hard primers concerns me a bit, but I'm reasonably sure a thicker moon clip will resolve this issue. I'll see how it works with .45 Colt and no moon clips and update accordingly.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Looks good:yesway:

PM me your address and I will send you a few S&W .45 moonclips and you can see if they work in that gun.
    I haven't heard if the spacing is the same as S&W.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

PM me your address and I will send you a few S&W .45 moonclips and you can see if they work in that gun.

Thanks.

Tried loading up just primers. It does not like S&B. It does like CCI primers. We'll see.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have a Redhawk in 45C and it has the larger grips.......i fire some pretty stout loads from it.......i would like to shoot yours with some of my loads to see how the smaller grips feel....

the smaller grips would make for more comfortable carrying......i carry mine hunting mostly.....

very nice btw!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's a good looking revolver, congrats Sir! I bet 45 acp is pretty soft shooting?

Yeah, similar to a light .38 in a GP100. Very manageable.

I think I've got the ignition issue resolved. I noticed the hammer had machining marks on the area that hits the frame to stop the hammer and that it was transferring one area of those machining marks to the frame. I worked the hammer with a file until it was mirror shiny, just enough to take off the machining marks and it set off 3/6 S&B primers, which it wouldn't touch off before. I filed a bit more and then it set off 6/6. Maybe a few hundreths of an inch total, but it got rid of the high spot and now hits the transfer bar better. I loaded up 24 cartridges with new CCI primers and 6.4gr of Titegroup under a 230 gr plated bullet and Friday I'll see how it performs.

One concern I had, the primers pushed back a bit out of the cartridge when they fired. I've never fired just a primer in an empty case. Is that normal? I put a mic on the primer pocket and it it's .003 smaller than the primers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's normal to have primer push back when you just have primers in the brass. Good review, I'll be interested in how it does with 45LC.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's normal to have primer push back when you just have primers in the brass. Good review, I'll be interested in how it does with 45LC.

I will second this^^. I had the same thing when I was trying to trouble shoot light primer strikes with primed only brass in an old POS Rossi revolver.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It looks like I've got the ignition issue resolved. 30/30 on S&B primers yesterday at the range, and that's after 6/6 with empty brass and S&B primers in testing. 6.4 grains of Titegroup and a 230 gr Rocky Mountain Reloading plated .45 bullet, S&B primer, 1.59 OAL. It shot well, had a bit more recoil than .45 ACP, but not much.

The slender grip is not the best for recoil control. The very heavy trigger combined with the difficulty of locking in a grip makes it tougher to shoot at speed then my GP100s. The good news is I work up and and right under recoil, so I ended up with targets like this:

20150710_130746_zps2f4efbe1.jpg

If I could find a grip similar to the factory Match Champion one for this, it'd likely help control that movement under recoil and also give me better leverage on the trigger so I'd stop pulling the gun up and right when trying to work the trigger quickly.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I was wondering if you have tried any lead bullets in this. I like the concept of the gun but I do my own casting most of the time. With the slight difference in diameter between the ACP and Colt I was thinking there may be some leading. I'm curious what the barrel would slug at and how many grooves it has.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was wondering if you have tried any lead bullets in this. I like the concept of the gun but I do my own casting most of the time. With the slight difference in diameter between the ACP and Colt I was thinking there may be some leading. I'm curious what the barrel would slug at and how many grooves it has.

6 grooves. 1:16 RH twist.

I've only used jacketed or plated bullets, and no immediate plans to use lead.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    6 grooves. 1:16 RH twist.

I've only used jacketed or plated bullets, and no immediate plans to use lead.

Sounds good, thanks.
    At least it's 6 grooves and can be slugged easily enough. I hate trying to slug S&W's with those 5 groove barrels. One of these may be in my future. If there is an issue with leading it won't be hard to powder coat for it. It wouldn't a high volume shooter anyway.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I got the clips today, thanks again. They will not work with the Ruger, as they are too thick and the cylinder won't close.

Ruger clip: 0.031"

S&W clip: 0.041"

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I got the clips today, thanks again. They will not work with the Ruger, as they are too thick and the cylinder won't close.

Ruger clip: 0.031"

S&W clip: 0.041"

I take it the spacing of holes is the same but Ruger wants to lock you in to using there clips?
    I'm sure the clip manufactures will have some aftermarket clips available soon.
    If mine I would machine .010 off the back of cylinder to take the common and cheap S&W clips.
    Cylinder would have to be machined like S&W does for the 627's with a ledge left around the edge of the cylinder to support the 45LC.(cylinder may already be machined like that).

Top Bottom