• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've been pretty busy lately and been neglecting my EDC Shield 9. I thought about it tonight so decided to look it over. When I went to drop the mag the mag release was stiff and had to be pressed pretty hard just to release the mag. Then I noticed the rust and wondered how it was on a plastic part. After disassembling I found out the mag release is metal. Why? I don't know.

I've been carrying it for about a year now and never had any problems before. This summer I switched to AIWB so now the gun gets more of my sweat on it.

I'd recommend checking yours out if you have one.

Last edited:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Supposedly S&W switched to a polymer release button on newer models, at least that is what I heard. But my newer one seems to have a steel button.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Supposedly S&W switched to a polymer release button on newer models, at least that is what I heard. But my newer one seems to have a steel button.

Yeah I'm not sure. Mine was bought about a year ago and doesn't have a safety so it's definitely a newer version.

I did check my full size M&P 9 and it has a polymer mag release.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I bought mine at the beginning of this year, feb production, metal mag release.

I just put a drop of oil on it because I knew it was an issue.

Will eventually contact smith for a plastic one, but until I becomes a problem, meh.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I wear an undershirt even in hot weather. I don't like sweat on my gun. If I need to draw in defense I'm not looking to grab a sweaty slippery gun.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah I googled right away and saw that. As popular as these pistols are I'm surprised I'd never heard of this on INGO.
    there's a thread somewhere, I posted to it with pictures. I've been carrying one since they came out pretty much. After the first time I noticed it I took it out cleaned it up and oiled it, doesn't seem to get as bad anymore, but it still requires maintenance. I sweat like a hot pig though... so whatever, not too surprising. FYI I wear on OWB with full sweat panel. If I'm carrying and working, it's getting wet no matter what.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Took it apart and oiled it up after finding the rust on the mag release. Then had a busy weekend of yard work and other outdoor work setting up for a big party. I was bent over a lot and sweating like a pig. I checked the gun and wiped it off at least once a day then found more rust the day after the party. This is a great little carry gun and I'm very happy with it but it'll definitely need more maintenance and maybe even a Cerakote job to put up with my sweat.

I was planning to buy a Glock 43 to compare to it this summer but my mower broke and there went my fun money. I'm looking forward to seeing what AIWB carry and my sweat does to a Glock. I bet it will perform well.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Can't really say that it's unexpected.
    As humid as its been....I have a dehumidifier running and fans and still get rust on guns in my safe.

Add in some acid and salt (sweat) and you've got a recipe for rust.

Do yourself a favor....keep the gun...

Once the parts start to rust like that....toss them in a pot of boiling distilled water for 5 minutes...after that rub them down with fine steel wool. If the rust comes back, repeat. It will eventually rust proof itself.

God bless
    - Shred

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Can't really say that it's unexpected.
    As humid as its been....I have a dehumidifier running and fans and still get rust on guns in my safe.

Add in some acid and salt (sweat) and you've got a recipe for rust.

Do yourself a favor....keep the gun...

Once the parts start to rust like that....toss them in a pot of boiling distilled water for 5 minutes...after that rub them down with fine steel wool. If the rust comes back, repeat. It will eventually rust proof itself.

God bless
    - Shred

I'm definitely keeping it. I carried it all last summer OWB at 4 oclock and never seen a spec of rust. I know I'm causing the rust.

The main thing I'd like everyone to get from this thread is that the first time I found the mag release rusted it was stuck pretty good. It could've definitely slowed my reloading had the time come.

Top Bottom