• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its funny how once you are out of the industry you forget so much.... I know at one point I had all the answers to what I am about to ask in my head, but after a few years not working in a gun store I seem to have forgotten most of it.

I am looking for a lower cost (but quality) revolver strictly for target shooting. I shot a friends K frame 38 special with I think a 5 inch barrel and REALLY liked the feel and the accuracy. I was able to shoot it way more accurately than any of my auto's. So I just want to have a fun plinker that doesn't eat ammo 15 at a time. I don't want to spend a ton, and if I remember right the used k frames used to go for around 450. Not so sure that's the case anymore. and I don't remember exactly what models they were. I know I want QUALITY sights, which are adjustable. Again I recall those being standard.

Can you guys point me in the right direction of what I need to be keeping an eye out for?

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    My choice is either a S&W K frame as mentioned or a Ruger GP 100. I have owned and shot both and they are very well built and will last a life time.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As already mentioned, a K frame or GP100 would be a great choice.
    Also, don't rule out an L frame, even though you'll definitely need to bring along more money.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it is strictly for target shooting, perhaps look at a .22. There are several target models from S&W that would have excellent sights, and while they would be more expensive to purchase the cheaper ammunition would make that up pretty quickly if you aren't a reloader. The Ruger Single Six would be an option as well.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I will probably reload exclusively for this.... and hopefully get into casting.

No single action. I like the DOA/SA mechanisms of the smiths and am already VERY well versed in maintenance and repair on them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    SW Model 14 K-38. You can drive nails with Lee tumble lubed double sided wad cutters for next to nothing cost wise. Check auctions around town I usually see one and they sell for 400-450.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    SW Model 14 K-38. You can drive nails with Lee tumble lubed double sided wad cutters for next to nothing cost wise. Check auctions around town I usually see one and they sell for 400-450.

Second the model 14. I have one with a 6" barrel that I picked up at the local gun show. It's a great gun for target shooting.

Mine has Belgian proof marks. Apparently Smith made it for the Belgian army and it somehow made it back to the states.

smith14-4_zps81062a20.jpg

Top Bottom