• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm giving serious consideration towards the Ruger SR9C as my first pistol. Being my first I'm sure there are going to be things I like and dislike about it as I grow as a shooter.

Im curious to what everyone thinks of the Ruger in general, as a first gun, and what kind of things you can/would change on it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've never owned Ruger handguns but I've shot a few of them. They are well made, reliable and affordable so you shouldn't have to worry about quality issues.

The SR9 won't have the after market support like Glock does, but they are fairly popular so you will find a decent selection of holsters, sights, mods, etc.

Do you plan to carry this, or is it just going to be for the home or range?

A lot of Ruger models have a magazine disconnect which means you won't be able to fire if the magazine is removed or isn't seated properly. That's a feature I personally would not have in a carry gun. Some folks don't mind.

The SR9c also has a loaded chamber indicator that I've always found sort of pointless and intrusive.

It features a manual safety. That's something I wanted on my first carry gun and served me well when I was first learning how to manipulate a handgun safely. I did find that I out grew the need for one pretty quickly and I switched carry guns within the first year. Now I personally wouldn't carry a gun with a manual safety, but as long as you train with one it won't be an issue.

Overall Ruger makes excellent guns. A lot of people like the SR9c. It's not a bad choice if it works for you.

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I think gun mods are a lot like automobile mods.

Specifically buying a car without air conditioning and then adding it yourself.

Find the configuration that you most like. Use it, and when it no longer serves your purposes, buy another. Keep the old one or sell it.

That way, the glow in the dark pieces are covered under the gun warranty, and you won't mess up anything when installing your mod.

1911 are like Harley's though. Lots of things you can do to customize. But I wouldn't mess with the pistol you mention.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Do you plan to carry this, or is it just going to be for the home or range?
    It will be more home and range, but I do plan to carry occasionally, more and more as I feel more comfortable doing so

A lot of Ruger models have a magazine disconnect which means you won't be able to fire if the magazine is removed or isn't seated properly. That's a feature I personally would not have in a carry gun. Some folks don't mind.
    The SR9C DOES have a magazine disconnect, and I have no idea how I feel about that. Ive seen others have removed it, and would like to know if theres info out there on how to do that.

The SR9c also has a loaded chamber indicator that I've always found sort of pointless and intrusive.
    Yes, This. The SR9C has one on the top of the slide that pops up almost in the way of the sites, I'm not sure how it would effect my shooting ability yet.. but thats something

It features a manual safety. That's something I wanted on my first carry gun and served me well when I was first learning how to manipulate a handgun safely. I did find that I out grew the need for one pretty quickly and I switched carry guns within the first year. Now I personally wouldn't carry a gun with a manual safety, but ass long as you train with one it won't be an issue.

Overall Ruger makes excellent guns. A lot of people like the SR9c. It's not a bad choice if it works for you.

thanks for the insight and info!

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think gun mods are a lot like automobile mods.
    Specifically buying a car without air conditioning and then adding it yourself.

He said to the guy with the HEAVILY modified and customized Jeep, lol

I do plan on leaving it the way it is, at least while I learn and grow with it. I am however the type to take apart and "fix" just about everything I've ever owned, and being so just wanted to know if there were things out there that are popular or common do's and dont's for this particular gun.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    YES to the SR9C! As a first handgun, you may find it's one you keep, and keep, and beat the crap out of, and it still runs. I had a bitone that I kind of wish I'd kept. It carried well, nice and slim for a double-stack, and was plenty accurate. Easy to work on. Nice grip angle. Really nice trigger right out of the gate (at least mine was). First thing I did was remove the magazine disconnect and clean out the firing pin channel, YouTube will show you how if you don't know, it's easy easy. I also had to slightly drift my rear sight, as it wasn't centered from the factory.

The only very minor complaints I had about it were the lawyer markings on the loaded chamber indicator, and it has a pretty darned stiff recoil spring. Not a huge deal on the latter, it's not too hard to rack, and makes for what I thought was a pretty soft shooter. Smallish rear sights could be a bit better for older eyes, but that's not a deal breaker, they're not bad.

It's one of the few guns I think may look better in all black than in bitone.

Honestly, the only mods I would do if I got another one would be to again remove the mag disconnect, and perhaps swap out the sights. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything else I would do to it.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Imho, new gun owners almost always make this mistake.

Get a bigger/larger framed pistol for your first gun....you'll shoot it better and be more willing to put in the range time with it.

Ruger makes great guns....the sr series is no exception if you like polymer guns....I would however recommend a cz p07 over it....just my $.02 and personal preference. ...close in price as well.

As far as modifications go....learn to operate and shoot the gun as it is first.....put 500 rounds through it before you doctor it all up to make sure it is a platform that you wish to modify.

Widgets, doohickeys, and thingamabobs are neat and fun...but almost none of them make you shoot any better.....save the mod money and buy ammo.

God bless
    - Shred

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    YES to the SR9C! As a first handgun, you may find it's one you keep, and keep, and beat the crap out of, and it still runs. I had a bitone that I kind of wish I'd kept. It carried well, nice and slim for a double-stack, and was plenty accurate. Easy to work on. Nice grip angle. Really nice trigger right out of the gate (at least mine was). First thing I did was remove the magazine disconnect and clean out the firing pin channel, YouTube will show you how if you don't know, it's easy easy. I also had to slightly drift my rear sight, as it wasn't centered from the factory.

The only very minor complaints I had about it were the lawyer markings on the loaded chamber indicator, and it has a pretty darned stiff recoil spring. Not a huge deal on the latter, it's not too hard to rack, and makes for what I thought was a pretty soft shooter. Smallish rear sights could be a bit better for older eyes, but that's not a deal breaker, they're not bad.

It's one of the few guns I think may look better in all black than in bitone.

Honestly, the only mods I would do if I got another one would be to again remove the mag disconnect, and swap out the sights. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything else I would do to it.

It wasn't even on my radar to consider until Paco Bedejo showed me his. Ive been on a walther trip forever, lol
    I just can't find any kind of argument against it really, and it's looking like I should be able to pick one up for a very reasonable price.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Imho, new gun owners almost always make this mistake.

Get a bigger/larger framed pistol for your first gun....you'll shoot it better and be more willing to put in the range time with it.
    This is a great idea and something to consider, I was originally looking at walther P99's and PPQ's but started looking at the SR9C and am falling in love with the idea. I also like that with the high cap mag it comes with a grip extension essentially making it a full sized SR9. I have giant hands and need to make sure whatever I get fits

Ruger makes great guns....the sr series is no exception if you like polymer guns....I would however recommend a cz p07 over it....just my $.02 and personal preference. ...close in price as well.
    I will for sure have to look into the P07. Im new I have no idea what I'm going to love but I understand that, lol

As far as modifications go....learn to operate and shoot the gun as it is first.....put 500 rounds through it before you doctor it all up to make sure it is a platform that you wish to modify.

Widgets, doohickeys, and thingamabobs are neat and fun...but almost none of them make you shoot any better.....save the mod money and buy ammo.

God bless
    - Shred
    I will long be comfortable with the gun before its anything but stock (unless I happen to find one already modified when purchasing)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    SR9c is a good value. Buy one and leave it alone. Soon enough you will want another pistol. Keep the Ruger as a reliable second.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Believe it or not, Gander had the SR9C on sale last week, $350 NIB with three 10-round magazines IIRC. Yes, there are deals on this to be had.

I'm a huge CZ fan, and agree with Shred that a P-07 is definitely worth a look. The P-07 will give you an awful lot of smiles for the $$, and boy does it feel good in your hands. The P-07 is more in line with a Glock 19 as far as size goes, where the SR9C is sort of between a Glock 26 and 19. You'll find the SR9C carries better (IMO) because of its size, but it's still big enough to enjoy at the range.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have an SR9c and it is an excellent carry pistol. As noted above, a very good value and quality firearm. If you are also considering the CZ, then I'd strongly recommend handling/shooting both before purchasing. Both are quality firearms, but that doesn't mean that they will make you equally happy. Try to find a range that rents guns and/or ask INGO to let you shoot theirs.

Although the ammo loaded indicator is obnoxiously large, it definitely doesn't get in the way of the sights.

Here is the info on how to get into the striker channel for cleaning and to remove the mag disconnect. Very easy one-time operation.
    [video=youtube_share;8dHXND_9-bE]http://youtu.be/8dHXND_9-bE[/video]

Last edited:

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Believe it or not, Gander had the SR9C on sale last week, $350 NIB with three 10-round magazines IIRC. Yes, there are deals on this to be had.

I'm a huge CZ fan, and agree with Shred that a P-07 is definitely worth a look. The P-07 will give you an awful lot of smiles for the $$, and boy does it feel good in your hands. The P-07 is more in line with a Glock 19 as far as size goes, where the SR9C is sort of between a Glock 26 and 19. You'll find the SR9C carries better (IMO) because of its size, but it's still big enough to enjoy at the range.

I've seen them go in the market place here for 325-350 too which is totally doable with my current pistol fund. I just need to shoot it and a couple others like the CZ first.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I had the opportunity to fire a friends a while back. I liked it a lot.
    You're fortunate to have the opportunity to try one out.
    Haven't gotten one yet. Too many others in front of that itch.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have an SR9c and it is an excellent carry pistol. As noted above, a very good value and quality firearm. If you are also considering the CZ, then I'd strongly recommend handling/shooting both before purchasing. Both are quality firearms, but that doesn't mean that they will make you equally happy. Try to find a range that rents guns and/or ask INGO to let you shoot theirs.

Although the ammo loaded indicator is obnoxiously large, it definitely doesn't get in the way of the sights.

Here is the info on how to get into the striker channel for cleaning and to remove the mag disconnect. Very easy one-time operation.
    [video=youtube_share;8dHXND_9-bE]http://youtu.be/8dHXND_9-bE[/video]

I'm on the north side of ft wayne. Can anyone recommend a good range? I've been to freedom a couple of times and the tend to rub me the wrong way and seem a little high on pricing

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    SR9c is an excellent choice. I've had one for four years now, and it's still one of my favorites.
    Has an excellent trigger out of the box. A 25 cent trigger job can improve on that. (see youtube)
    Ruger is a great company that will take care of any problem you might have without any issue's.

The loaded chamber indicator, who cares, it doesn't affect the operation of the gun in the least.

Mag disconnect as per the above video takes 5 minutes to remove or put back.

As with any new to you gun, shooting it before purchase is always a good thing.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    SR9c is an excellent choice. I've had one for four years now, and it's still one of my favorites.
    Has an excellent trigger out of the box. A 25 cent trigger job can improve on that. (see youtube)
    Ruger is a great company that will take care of any problem you might have without any issue's.

The loaded chamber indicator, who cares, it doesn't affect the operation of the gun in the least.

Mag disconnect as per the above video takes 5 minutes to remove or put back.

As with any new to you gun, shooting it before purchase is always a good thing.

Which trigger job are you talking about? I looked up a few different things on youtube, you don't mean the ghost trigger do you?

Top Bottom