• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It looks quite a lot like a Ruger Blachawk...maybe even a bit stouter.
    What caliber?
    How does it perform at the range?
    I've heard just a bit about the Abilene, but that was a long time ago, so it's hard to pin down value without digging around.
    Still, it at least looks nice.
    If it's workmanship and accuracy are comparable, I say yous till made a good buy.
    btw..depending on caliber, you could use that for deer right here in Indiana.
    .357 Magnum, .44 Special/.44 Magnum, and .45 Colt are three calibers that are fully legal for deer.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    There are two on Gunbroker right now. Both sellers are asking $500+. I'd say you did alright. And if you are happy with the deal, that is all that really matters anyway.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Agree with everyone else. If you (and any spouse type in the equation) are happy, that's what matters.

Looking forward to the range report.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It looks quite a lot like a Ruger Blachawk...maybe even a bit stouter.
    What caliber?
    How does it perform at the range?
    I've heard just a bit about the Abilene, but that was a long time ago, so it's hard to pin down value without digging around.
    Still, it at least looks nice.
    If it's workmanship and accuracy are comparable, I say yous till made a good buy.
    btw..depending on caliber, you could use that for deer right here in Indiana.
    .357 Magnum, .44 Special/.44 Magnum, and .45 Colt are three calibers that are fully legal for deer.
    By zooming in on the picture, it's a .44 mag. I think the OP did ok. It's a very nice SA revolver. A comapable new Ruger would run upwards of $575+. I've had a number of Ruger Blackhawks and it appears to be every bit as nice. Go out and enjoy your new purchase OP.

Last edited:

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I can't add anything about the price, but this is the first I heard of Abilene- I will have to see what I can learn about them. I think its a beautiful gun, and if its well made I think that's always a good price to pay for a .44.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hope I do not fall into disfavor with the mods, but I think this information is pertinent and something the OP would want to know.

U.S. Arms Abilene SA Revolvers

Are there other owners of U.S. Arms Abilene Revolvers out there?

Other than Gun Parts Inc.(formerly Numrich)does anyone have a source for parts? Gun Parts Inc. is out of some of these parts but still has the all important trigger spring.

I have 2 of these revolvers that were made prior to Mossberg's takeover of production.
    Both are .357 Magnums. The one with a serial number below 2000 that has the cylinder pin screw on the right side and cross-ways in the frame. The other one has a serial number in the low 3000 range and has cylinder pin angled in the front of frame.

I've found these guns to be extremely accurate and durable. The only parts breakage so far has been the trigger spring. The fit and finish is excellent. The cylinder in the earlier gun has about .001 barrel gap and not much better at the rear of cylinder.

These guns are a reloader's dream. The .357 is really a .44 Magnum cylinder blank simply drilled for the .357 caliber. Unlike the Ruger Blackhawk, the frame is all steel as is the ejector rod housing. However, they are absolute intolerant of high primers and care must be taken in full resizing of brass and seating of primers. Very tight tolerances here.

History has it that Ruger sued U.S. Arms over the patent infringements related to the transfer bar safety. The company fell upon hard times and Mossberg bought them out. Like everything else Mossberg has acquired, the company died from neglect.

I would welcome any comments or experience others may have with these guns.

[This message has been edited by AUTiger73 (edited February 18, 2000).]

Source:
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3597

If the Ban Hammer falls, I will survive. Apologies in advance if I messed up.

Top Bottom