• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Armadilos are NOT that TOUGH...

I had a GREAT little Fox Terrier dog that loved to "Hunt" these critters, when I lived in SW Fla.

His kill ratio was at LEAST 9 out of 10, and He was a HAPPY dog doing it...Bill.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    "We didn't find the armadillo," the sheriff said.

...makes me wonder if he hit the armadillo. We never seem to get the straight story on "accidents" like this. It's bad enough to suffer the embarrassment of eating your own ricochet. But you didn't even hit what you were shooting at? That would be deplorable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a GREAT little Fox Terrier dog that loved to "Hunt" these critters, when I lived in SW Fla.

His kill ratio was at LEAST 9 out of 10, and He was a HAPPY dog doing it...Bill.

I have 3 black lab mix dogs.
    One has become quite the opossum hunter. This year alone I've found no less than 8 juvenile opossum dead in my fenced in back yard.
    Someone is doing a number on the marsupial population in my neighborhood.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

...makes me wonder if he hit the armadillo. We never seem to get the straight story on "accidents" like this. It's bad enough to suffer the embarrassment of eating your own ricochet. But you didn't even hit what you were shooting at? That would be deplorable.

My first thought was the he either overpenetrated and hit something hard behind the 'dillo, or he missed altogether, as you said.
    As it is, the news reports only have his side of the story.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013

That's my thought. .38 special will penetrate a pretty good thickness of mild steel. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't penetrate an armadillo. I think he missed the shot and hit a rock or something.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

"His wife was in the house. He went outside and took his .38 revolver and shot three times at the armadillo," Rowe said.

I'm going to guess he did not. 3 shots?

I'd put even money on there never having been an armadillo. Sort of like the dog that runs out in front of teen drivers.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm going to guess he did not. 3 shots?

I'd put even money on there never having been an armadillo. Sort of like the dog that runs out in front of teen drivers.

Just for my curiosity, how do you deal with, well, suspicious claims of the involvement of animals causing traffic accidents? For example, Driver A hits the brakes hard and Driver B runs into the back of his vehicle. A says that a deer runs out in front of him. B says he didn't see any deer. A says it's not his fault that B can't see, which probably explains why he ran into him. What do you do with all of this?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just for my curiosity, how do you deal with, well, suspicious claims of the involvement of animals causing traffic accidents? For example, Driver A hits the brakes hard and Driver B runs into the back of his vehicle. A says that a deer runs out in front of him. B says he didn't see any deer. A says it's not his fault that B can't see, which probably explains why he ran into him. What do you do with all of this?

Write it up and let the insurance figure it out.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Bullets bounce some times. I had a brother who shot his dog in the head with a 9mm after a car ran it over and it was likely terminally injured and in agony. It was like his child, but the sight of that dog darn near in pieces and twisted up in agony was more than he could stand. He quickly drew his 9mm and shot it in the top of the head thinking it would be quick and painless for the dog, it bounced and the dog looked at him wondering why he was adding to his misery. He unloaded the magazine into the dog as fast as he could. I learned a lesson from his account of the event, never expect a single shot will do anything, keep shooting until the desired results are achieved.

Top Bottom