• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm looking into possibly getting a Sig 226 but I have made a few observations, a lot of people talks about how the 226 is very reliable and great quality and for the most part I think they are right. The question that I have is why I don't see any 226's or 229's in the hands of the top instructors?. The only Sigs that I normally see is the hands of LE in the different agencies and most of those 226's I doubt see a significant amount of rounds through, any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    My best guess for the gamesmen is, the striker fired pistols or single action pistols are easier shoot fast because of less trigger reset. I think the LEOs are less concerned about the extra time required for a DA pistol to reset.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    I pride myself on keeping and enjoying guns with really nice triggers, ergos etc. And can say i recently picked up a Sig Extreme 229 Elite and so far really enjoy the gun. Nice trigger, not great but the ergonomics of this gun is amazing to me, just feels right.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Many of the "top" instructors are sponsored by Glock.
    the P226 is bigger and heavier and most concealed carriers want something Glock 19 or smaller.
    the 226 uses a DA/SA trigger which most instructors don't seem to feel the modern carriers will train with enough to get proficient with.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Also, the Sig sits a little higher in the hand. Some people, especially competitors, like the pistol sitting "low" in their hands. Supposedly, felt recoil is reduced.

I have a M&P and though they are very popular, I have not warmed up much to striker fire type pistols. I am going to sell it one day and buy a hammer fired pistol.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Sigs have a slightly longer learning curve to master for the serious user and you'd have to have an above average knowledge to do any detailed mods or service.

Its not really a pistol to start out on.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I had a Sig SP2022, which is polymer but similar in size/ergonomics to the P229. The DA/SA system is not my favorite, but I felt that I could overcome it with training. I also noticed that in fast shooting drills, I tended to mix up the decocker and slide release. It probably sounds stupid, but they are very similar in feel and location. I decided that I didn't shoot it better than my other pistols and sold it.

With that being said, they are excellent pistols and made very well. More than anything, I had a hard time overcoming the ergonomics. That is a training issue on my end and not exactly a fault of the gun.

It is worth seeking one out to test in person. See how you shoot and handle it. Best of luck!

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    venenoindy;5991321why I don't see any 226's or 229's in the hands of the top instructors?[/QUOTE said:
    Is this a criteria you use for deciding on whether a gun is appropriate for your need? Who are the anointed "top instructors?"

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They great guns, just require a little different grip than normal.

It's probably a sponsor and price thing.

I have a M11A1 with the SRT in it, the reset is as the name implies, very short and crisp, double taps using a suppressor is very easy. I love the gun. The only times I've ever thought about selling it is when thinking about getting another Sig like a P239

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Here is a video of the P226 with the short reset trigger M67 mentions above. Pretty entertaining.

[video=youtube;1nKzZLjMHDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nKzZLjMHDs[/video]

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I agree with what has already been said, other guns are lighter, cheaper to purchase, and more of a range gun.

If I could only own one for personal protection it would be the one. No safety to accidentally leave on, yet DA / SA so it isn't going to accidentally go off if a piece of shirt sneaks into a trigger guard. Yea I know, quality holster, yada yada, stuff happens, but I've never seen "stuff" happen with a revolver or sig sauer the way it does with striker fired guns. I leave mine loaded and chambered and have no fear at all that I need to be "extra careful" with it, like I do other pistols I have owned.

If the Navy Seals trust it for the "stuff" they put it through and the level of importance of the things they do, I'm not going to second guess them. I have the 226, but I would like to get the 229 only for concealed carry.

P226 Navy

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Is this a criteria you use for deciding on whether a gun is appropriate for your need? Who are the anointed "top instructors?"

It's not the criteria I use to make any decisions, at this point of my life I like to listen what others think and see and the more I know the better. Like I mention I can tell on my own that they are a quality firearm and I have had a few Sigs in the past.

Instructors that I refer as top, Haley, McNamara, Rogers, Lamb, just a few that come to mind.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Yep
    It's also worth commenting that a top race gun or competition may well not be the best choice for a carry gun, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which could be an unintentional discharge thanks to that fancy modified trigger.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If it's opinions you're seeking I'll share mine, I suppose.

For awhile I owned around 6 or 7 Sig handguns. A couple of P226s, a P229, a 1911, an SP2022, a P225/P6, a P220 combat, and I'm probably forgetting at least one. I've shot the P226 Elite/Platinum elite, I owned the P226 Navy/MK25. I was a big fan of Sig, and still am.

Now I shoot Glocks almost exclusively for competition/training. The reason for my switch was one of ergonomics. The Glock fits my hand better, points much more naturally, and the trigger is better than a DAK or DA/SA trigger, unless you're just shooting the Sig in SA mode all the time. The Glock is lighter and more pleasant to carry and the magazines are way more affordable. I personally experience more muzzle climb during recoil when shooting the Sigs. I don't know if this is due to a higher bore axis or whatever.

You can replace 'Glock' with just about any other modern, polymer framed, wonder-9 in the above paragraph and it still holds true.

All of that said, Sig still makes an excellent firearm in the P22x family and you really can't go wrong with one. But to me, they just really aren't worth the premium when a $500 polymer gun does the same thing.

When I have to buy a "go-to" handgun, my choices go like this:
    1. Glock or M&P
    2. Sig or HK

:yesway:

Top Bottom