• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Heu INGO,

What models are out there that I should consider for a CCW 9mm?

I am familiar with the Shield, but what else is out there?

- would be my first CCW gun
    - want to stay under $400 new
    - 9mm semi auto
    - I'm average size guy
    - currently own a SR9 and SR22 for handguns

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Since the typical INGO response is to ignore at least one criteria of the question...

I submit you nix the "new" from you're requirements. That would open up your options to include M&P/Glock/XD on the used market.

My personal preference is toward the larger compact to full-sized pistols over subcompacts even for cc. They are simply easier to shoot well and more comfortable to shoot... Which means you're more likely to actually train and practice with them...

Which leads me to the next item of unsolicited advice:

More important than the tool you choose to carry, is the time and effort you put in to mastering it. Get some training from a reputable instructor, and then put rounds down range... as often as you can. It doesn't have to be a ton of rounds, if you make each one count.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Why not get an SR9c? Mags work/holsters also I would think. $400 is low for a good CCW weapon. Good Luck

I want something different than another Ruger.

What budget do you consider appropriate then? The Shields, XDS, etc are under $400...so what am I missing out on?

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Since the typical INGO response is to ignore at least one criteria of the question...

I submit you nix the "new" from you're requirements. That would open up your options to include M&P/Glock/XD on the used market.

My personal preference is toward the larger compact to full-sized pistols over subcompacts even for cc. They are simply easier to shoot well and more comfortable to shoot... Which means you're more likely to actually train and practice with it...

Which leads me to the next item of unsolicited advice:

More important than the tool you choose to carry, is the time and effort you put in to mastering it. Get some training from a reputable instructor, and then put rounds down range... as often as you can. It doesn't have to be a ton of rounds, if you make each one count.

Thanks for the response. Any specific models?

Yes - agreed on training and practice. I shoot several times a month and am ready to start traing for CCW.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thanks for the response. Any specific models?

Yes - agreed on training and practice. I shoot several times a month and am ready to start traing for CCW.
    I'm a big guy, and I carry a full size M&P9 AIWB. With the right belt and holster, even small statured folks can conceal compact (think M&Pc or Glock 19) or even full-sized pistols relatively easily.

Two factors many new carriers overlook are a QUALITY belt (one that is rigid and designed to support a firearm), and a QUALITY holster (one made specifically for your pistol, is secure, completely covers the trigger guard, and does not collapse preventing reholstering after the draw).

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My favorite 9mm CCW is the Beretta Nano. I just thought I'd suggest that as an option you might want to look at. There is, of course, no right or wrong answer. Find one that you are comfortable with and fits into your budget. The Nano can be had just about anywhere for about $400. I've seen them as low as $350.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Like many people here, my ccw has changed many times over time. One that kinda stuck out to me was the kahr CW9. I dont mind DAO for ccw, i found it to be a good quality, lightweight, no BS little gun with a nice thin profile. I gifted the CW9 along with a jeep wrangler to my little sister when she decided to move out of state a few years back.
    it was also one of the least expensive guns I've carried, which actually made it much less hastle to me.. with the cw9 I wouldnt hesitate to crawl around under a car or something and have a look. These days its more like "yeah I'll have a look, let me put this kimber in my glove box real quick"...
    i dont carry as often as i used to either though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I have a lot of good guns to recommend you, but for under $400 new I think that the shield is your only option. If you change that then you options really open up!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    used Glock 19 or 26 would be a good choice.
    2nd on the Beretta Nano or the Shield
    CZ Rami's are nice and you could hang out in the CZickness thread...

the next Indy1500 gun show is coming up at the end of August, so that would be a great place to shop and see what you like.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    shield or sig 938 ...glock 43 ...glock 26..if you are short on funds and dont have a gun try that taurus pt111 for 199 from palmetto...
    but i say a shield in nine is the best price point for quality for a small gun..i own all these but the taurus...but i have seen good reviews and i am thinking of getting one to leave in my car
    walther pps 9mm..springfield xds all good choices too

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    In your price range, Shield, XDs, or LC9s Pro. They are all reliable, comfortable to carry, and can be found in your price range. Walther CCP is available as well but reviews have been mixed. Just picky the one you like.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Honestly OP, I would set aside the $400 cap and find the gun that works for you then save up and get it or look for a used one. There are many great deals to be had on a variety of handguns out there.

IMO though, the M&P Shield 9 is a reliable carry gun and one of the most affordable on the market.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

In keeping with your original criteria IMHO the Shield is your best option and very difficult to best for under $400.. Getting even a used Glock 19 for under 400 is going to take some searching. If double stack doesn't bother you M&P 9c is a viable option but again it will be used. Don't assume used means worn out.. I've yet to see a used polymer pistol from one of, what I consider the big 4, (I'll probably catch flack for this) Glock, Ruger, S&W, Springfield that was worn out. Glock has two 17s in the museum in Austria that has documented 3/4 million rounds through each that still function reliably.. Good luck with your search but the "new and under 400 seriously limits your options and tosses out a lot of very viable possibilities.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock armorer-M&P armorer & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Top Bottom