• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Anyone have a direct source that is reasonable priced or even better local I'm in NE Indiana. I just want a bunch for myself and also guys at work complain about wanting them but not wanting to pay for the good ones just to use at the range for paper practice. I just picked up 5 at the Indy 1500 for 10 a pop plus the $12 cover the $7 soda and the $5 pretzel and also $5 parking and $25 to fill up back n forth from home to there. So when I did the math I shoulda just bought those chip mags haha. But any links would be appreciated or if anyone has a sack of them they don't need just let me know

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My :twocents: is to stay away from "cheap" 1911 mags. All I've ever heard from people buying/using them is eventual grief. Buy good mags for a decent price and you'll be much happier in the end. Buy once, cry once. Best place to get good ones, like Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick or MecGar is Greg Cote, LLC.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ill second what burnette says.

Ive bought the cheapy mags...only to have the replace the springs and followers, then tweek the lips.

Buy once, cry once...stop being such a cheap-@$$

Wilson sometimes has a 3/$99 deal..the new ETM mags are a little cheaper, chip mcCormick mags are great too but I prefer a polymer follower...Mecgars have the plastic no dive followers and are about $18 last time I bought one.

I have probably 20 mags for my 1911 and actually only use about 4...maybe 5...dont think that more is better...

God bless
    -Shred

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    CDNN has specials all the time. My RIA eats Chip Mcormicks, and Wilson 47Ds, even though they are 8 rds, I prefer to load 7 to allow easy mag install. I have also used Kimber Tacticals without issue. Good luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not worried about reliability it's specifically for range fun so that I'm not loading magazines so often

I should post a pic of my 1911 mag box. I do not load at the range with 2 people running out of it and we never have to deal with mag related issues either. Just run/gun/fun.

I see what you are doing but take your time and gather decent to good mags and after some time and patience you are good to go.

Took 2 years but my mag box is full of Wilson and C. McCormick goodness.

Did the same thing with my AR's and am now focused on CZ's.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Not worried about reliability it's specifically for range fun so that I'm not loading magazines so often

Perhaps I am being overly critical of this post, but I never understood why people want to "blast fast".
    Reloading a low capacity magazine more frequently should teach the value of hitting what you aim at.
    1911's are low capacity guns, you're going to have to deal with frequent reloads.
    There is no free lunch. Especially when your cheap mags force you to run clearing drills instead of putting rounds on target.
    God bless
    - Shred

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The Kimber mags I cited above were $21. Good mags, but the price does not break the bank. More expensive than the $12-15 cheapies, but I had to scrap one of the original factory mags that came with my Remington 1911 R1 because it failed to load the sixth round every time on a brand new gun. The gunsmith who diagnosed the problem still had a cheap Vietnam-era mag he used, but it, too, would jam in my R1. I learned the lesson and bought better quality. No need to spend $30-50 for a Wilson or McCormick mag if you can get reliability for $21.

:twocents:

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    The Kimber mags I cited above were $21. Good mags, but the price does not break the bank. More expensive than the $12-15 cheapies, but I had to scrap one of the original factory mags that came with my Remington 1911 R1 because it failed to load the sixth round every time on a brand new gun. The gunsmith who diagnosed the problem still had a cheap Vietnam-era mag he used, but it, too, would jam in my R1. I learned the lesson and bought better quality. No need to spend $30-50 for a Wilson or McCormick mag if you can get reliability for $21.

:twocents:
    good suggestion might try bottom of barrel and see what works and work my way to pricey if my firearm doesn't like them

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    good suggestion might try bottom of barrel and see what works and work my way to pricey if my firearm doesn't like them

This is in no way a knock on how you view things but, we have all been through what you are going to do. I have thrown/given away more cheap mags than I care to remember. Been there done that. This is one area of owning a 1911 that is hard to get around Sometimes.

I wish you all the luck with your decision.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Couple thoughts on this:

1.) Are these mags factory colt, or are they just name dropping Colt in the description to sell a knock off? CDNN SPORTS - 1911 7RD 45ACP STAINLESS MAGAZINE OEM - EMAIL SPECIALS For $9 each, why wouldn't anyone order a pile of them?

2.) I like to have piles of mags laying around for my 1911. When I get pockets of time to shoot, I go to shoot. I can reload mags when the kids are asleep, but I can't go out and empty the mags at the range. Also, I like to download my mags and work on getting a gun back in working order. 2 or 3 rounds per mag etc, then reload. Downloaded 1911 mags are similar to why guys like to fly fish instead of spin cast fishing. It's more time working with the equipment. That'll make sense if you're a fly fisherman.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Couple thoughts on this:

1.) Are these mags factory colt, or are they just name dropping Colt in the description to sell a knock off? CDNN SPORTS - 1911 7RD 45ACP STAINLESS MAGAZINE OEM - EMAIL SPECIALS For $9 each, why wouldn't anyone order a pile of them?

2.) I like to have piles of mags laying around for my 1911. When I get pockets of time to shoot, I go to shoot. I can reload mags when the kids are asleep, but I can't go out and empty the mags at the range. Also, I like to download my mags and work on getting a gun back in working order. 2 or 3 rounds per mag etc, then reload. Downloaded 1911 mags are similar to why guys like to fly fish instead of spin cast fishing. It's more time working with the equipment. That'll make sense if you're a fly fisherman.

I get it.
    And I do not fish.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The Civilian Marksmanship Program has new surplus Checkmate 1911 magazines for $8 plus shipping if you qualify. The magazines I received are dated 1992. The magazines are vapor wrapped and sealed in a plastic bag. The magazines are a good value if you are eligible to purchase from the CMP.

Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore

Top Bottom