• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Since my first handgun purchase has been awhile back it is time to buy a new one. The tough part is deciding what to get. I will be doing reloading for whatever I buy and have already acquired some materials for 45acp (Clays & LP Primers). Would like to keep the cost below $1000 as I just bought a newer truck. Here are my choices, in no particular order, but I am open to any and all suggestions:

1. Glock 19 or Glock 43. I've shot a 23 and a 42 so the size difference is irrelevant. Switching to 9mm just to have and easy to mass produce reloads.

2. 1911 in 45acp. Kimber, Springfield, CZ, Ruger they are all awesome looking so help me out!

3. CZ75 Compact or Full Size. The amount of good reviews and the looks of a nice handgun is hard to turn down.

If anyone can help please go ahead and take the time to tell me what to do! I don't CC that much as work doesn't allow, so mainly I would be target shooting with it. Lastly I am just trying to expand my firearm arsenal because you can never have enough!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you plan to reload go with a 1911. 45 acp is easy to reload and not that much more to shoot then 9mm reloads. I am cranking out 9mm for about $0.13 and 45 acp for about $0.16.

What at was your first handgun? What caliber are you loading now? What type of equipment are you reloading on?

edit: love machine is correct, glock 19 is a great gun.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Since my first handgun purchase has been awhile back it is time to buy a new one. The tough part is deciding what to get. I will be doing reloading for whatever I buy and have already acquired some materials for 45acp (Clays & LP Primers). Would like to keep the cost below $1000 as I just bought a newer truck. Here are my choices, in no particular order, but I am open to any and all suggestions:

1. Glock 19 or Glock 43. I've shot a 23 and a 42 so the size difference is irrelevant. Switching to 9mm just to have and easy to mass produce reloads.

2. 1911 in 45acp. Kimber, Springfield, CZ, Ruger they are all awesome looking so help me out!

3. CZ75 Compact or Full Size. The amount of good reviews and the looks of a nice handgun is hard to turn down.

If anyone can help please go ahead and take the time to tell me what to do! I don't CC that much as work doesn't allow, so mainly I would be target shooting with it. Lastly I am just trying to expand my firearm arsenal because you can never have enough!

JMHO..... NO glock,

1911..... YES

CZ75B .....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have an all steel Magnum Research Baby Eagle in .40S&W (clone of the CZ75) that is nothing short of a dream to shoot.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like my 1911s and my Glocks. I also think the Walther PPQ is a good gun but nobody wants to join my fan club. I haven't went down the CZ road yet because people already accuse me of being a snob.

OP I don't know where your are at in Southern IN but I reload a pile of 9mm and 45 acp to feed through 1911s. Clays under a 200 grain LSWC is pretty hard to beat.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    First handgun was a Glock 23 so I am familiar with the brand and I am not turned off by the feel or looks. I'm loading 40 S&W on a Dillon 550 and have way more machine than I have time to reload at the moment. Glad I made the choice though because winter time allows for a lot of reloading. Price on reloading isn't the biggest concern as I know I'll save on either, but greater on 45 especially with already having supplies. The price on the gun is what throws me off. Glock 19 is probably the cheapest, with a CZ next, then whatever 1911 I go with. I like the idea of a Springfield because the base price is less than a Kimber, but not the cheapest either. I want good quality for my money just like everyone else. In the end it is all an investment to me so I guess I can justify the purchase.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Target shooting mostly and reloading .45? I would go 1911. I hear Springfield has a big following on INGO but I love my Colt. Shoots like a dream all day long.:twocents:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I like my 1911s and my Glocks. I also think the Walther PPQ is a good gun but nobody wants to join my fan club. I haven't went down the CZ road yet because people already accuse me of being a snob.

OP I don't know where your are at in Southern IN but I reload a pile of 9mm and 45 acp to feed through 1911s. Clays under a 200 grain LSWC is pretty hard to beat.

I'm down in Perry Co and have heard nothing but good things about Clays. Luckily scooped up 2 lbs for a pretty dang good price one day in Kentucky. I've shot several different handguns, but I'm all for listening to certain people that have much more knowledge on the subject.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Im pretty content without a glock. No intention of ever owning one. Was not impressed with them when I shot them at the range. But to each their own. Some people obviously love them and shoot them very well.

OP, if it's just going to be a range toy, a Cajunized CZ or nice 1911 is hard to beat.

For a 45 cal CZ, you're looking at a 97b. The 75's are 9mm and 40. Lurk in "the czickness" thread if you want to learn a bit about them. We have one of the best CZ pistol smiths in the country right here in Indiana, and he can turn a stock CZ into a real treat with some CGW parts.

If you go with a 1911, listen to the mouse man and go with a Springer. Maybe have one of the wonderful 1911 gurus around here work over the fire control group, and you'd have a real winner. Seems like the Range Officer or Loaded models are really good starting points.

Everyone should own a Glock 19. Everyone should also own a Springfield Range Officer.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First handgun was a Glock 23 so I am familiar with the brand and I am not turned off by the feel or looks. I'm loading 40 S&W on a Dillon 550 and have way more machine than I have time to reload at the moment. Glad I made the choice though because winter time allows for a lot of reloading. Price on reloading isn't the biggest concern as I know I'll save on either, but greater on 45 especially with already having supplies. The price on the gun is what throws me off. Glock 19 is probably the cheapest, with a CZ next, then whatever 1911 I go with. I like the idea of a Springfield because the base price is less than a Kimber, but not the cheapest either. I want good quality for my money just like everyone else. In the end it is all an investment to me so I guess I can justify the purchase.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Buy a 9mm conversion barrel for the Glock 23! Shoot cheap lead 9mm reloads on the range. Carry 40 in the gun for serious business.

Go buy yourself a 5" Springfield Range Officer in your choice of 45 acp or 9mm. Or a Ruger SR1911. New gun, barrel, and dies less then $1000. Enjoy.

Top Bottom