• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    I m looking to get a new small carry gun. I carry a shield in 9mm sometimes. I shot 1 mag out of my buddies 42 2 weeks ago . Which is not much of a test but I don't remember any negative things about it. I did a search here for the G42 but didn't see much on it. What are ur thoughts ? I only have 1 glock and its a full size 10mm

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Softest shooting 380 that I've ever had in my hands. I have one and really like it for a small pocket gun. Only thing I can say against it is 380. I also have a Shield 9 and I shoot them both equally well. Actually I'm surprised how well I shoot them both considering their size. I still don't get the fascination with the 43.. Generally about a $100 more than the Shield, holds less ammo and, for me, a little more felt recoil.. My advice would be to shoot the 42 and 43 to make your own decision.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I traded a j-frame for a Glock 42 a few months ago. It's in my pocket right now.

I had a few hiccups with it early on, but once I got it cleaned up and well lubed it ran fine.

I was drawn to the 42 because it's something my wife can shoot too. Ultimately if it were just for me and I had my choice between the 42 and the Shield, I'd go with the Shield. That choice is based purely on caliber.

If you're okay with carrying a .380 then the 42 is a fine choice.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I m looking to get a new small carry gun. I carry a shield in 9mm sometimes. I shot 1 mag out of my buddies 42 2 weeks ago . Which is not much of a test but I don't remember any negative things about it. I did a search here for the G42 but didn't see much on it. What are ur thoughts ? I only have 1 glock and its a full size 10mm

have one- doesn't have my complete confidence.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    have one- doesn't have my complete confidence.

Why not?

I ask because I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I was the second owner of mine but it had never been fired so I took it to the range the day after I picked it up. Gun was bone dry, but it's a Glock, so I figured it would run.

I had all kinds of jams in that first 100 rounds or so, but a thorough cleaning and generous lubrication got it going.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My wife had several issues with the G42 because of limp wristing the gun. I had to put together together some hot rounds to get the 42 to function. The 43 didn't lock the slide back on the last round until I put about fifty rounds through it. The recoil spring is very stiff on the 43 until broke in a little. My wife hasn't shot the the 43 yet but if she shoots it ok with no issues the 42 might be up for sale.

Medic2464

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2015
    Greenwood
    My wife loves her 42. Its too small for me to hold properly so I dont shoot it much. We have never had any failure out of the gun. I carry tbe Shield 9mm and love it. Both are high quality guns. I would recomend either of them. Just shoot both ans see which one fits you the best. Good luck!

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have no doubt that the Glock 42 is an excellent shooting 380. And you should always carry what you can shoot the best. But...

2.png

...in the Glock 42 size, I'd rather carry a 9mm. Or...

Glock-42-vs-Ruger-LCP.jpg

...stick with a lighter 380 that disappears in my pocket and I know I can carry with anything.

My Gen 2 LCP has been flawless, has a great trigger (first gen triggers were awful) and I shoot it very well. I can also conceal it with anything I wear, so I always have it on me.

Best of luck and let us know what you choose!

Attachments

• 2.png
      2.png
      234.8 KB · Views: 1
    • Glock-42-vs-Ruger-LCP.jpg
      Glock-42-vs-Ruger-LCP.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 1

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

The Shield is a fantastic pistol, probably one of the top tier single-stack 9mm out there. I wish the G43 were more that size to be honest. Having said that, the G42 is a fantastic little gun. I normally carry my Gen 4 G19 but when days and clothing don't allow it I grab my G42 and I'm off. I carry an extra mag for the G42 due to it's limited capacity, and it isn't what I would consider a primary carry unless that is all you could carry, but as a shooter it is phenomenal. I carry mine and use mine in competition and I don't know that I've owned a more fun to shoot gun than that G42 of mine.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    The shot placement with my Glock 42 is unparalleled to any other handgun I've ever fired.
    It's the most pleasant pistol I've ever shot (& I went through dozens) or carried (a few).
    The mags are small, cheap, plentiful and I've practically got em stashed everywhere.
    Carried in a good holster IWB @ 4 oclock, easily hidden, it can be carried anywhere.
    Tight shot placement + zero FTF/FTE's + ease of carry + ease of draw = my EDC.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    You mention you have the 10mm - G20 - I also have that weapon. I'd like to find a G29 for a subcompact, I think keeping the ammo the same and interchangeable magazines a plus. The G29 is also chambered in 10mm with a 10-round stack in subcompact size. I haven't shot it, but would like to...just may be the pocket pistol I want. Maybe you should consider it too for the same reasons.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I own a G42 and G43; I like them both but I carry the G43. The only issue I've had is that my grip is very high on a pistol and I inadvertently press the slide stop up and lock the slide to the rear on the G42. Other than that they're both great pistols.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    My dad has a Glcok 42 and we shoot it just about every time we go to the range. Only issues we've had with the gun is him babying it too much. You have to really let the slide go quick and let it do the work. I haven't fired the 43 but comparing the 42 and 43 size wise.. they ruined the 43 in my opinion. It's just big enough to not be anything like the 42. Again, just my opinion.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Glock 42 is outstanding. Much more pleasant to shoot then an LCP if such things matter to you.
    Running Hornady Critical Defense through the 42 it is a powder puff recoil wise.
    Great gun.

Top Bottom