• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    As i have got older i have needed to pull out the reading glasses to look at anything close and this now included my sights on my pistols. since i don't need to wear my glasses all the time there are often times i don't have them on. So the thought of adding a laser to my G19 or looking at a shield or G43 with a laser.

looking for input on past experience from people that have had a laser on their carry of bedside gun.If i add the laser shoul i do a type that mounts on grip or rail.

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I put a Crimson Trace green laser on my EDC's rail. Even in fairly bright sunlight I can still see it out to 15-20 feet or so (used it to drive away a squirrel who was barking up a storm at me yesterday, and he was about 30-35 feet away). If you go with a laser, I would highly recommend green, and CT makes good stuff as far as I'm concerned. Small device, light, powerful, and bright as all...heck. And I'd absolutely stick with one mounted to a rail--much more secure and less likely to get off adjustment.

Here's mine:Amazon.com : Crimson Trace CMR-206 RAIL MASTER UNIVERSAL GREEN LASER SIGHT : Sports & Outdoors

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    One of my bedside handgun is a SAR K2 .45 with a Viridian C5L green laser / light mounted on the rail. The fifteen shot full sized 45 is a good bedside handgun. As a carry gun it is a little large and few holsters are made specifically for the SAR with a laser. Vigilance Tactical Holsters are available for the SAR with the C5L.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know you having problems seeing things up close but would an RMR be an option for aging eyes? Just asking, because to me that is a better option than a laser.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I saw a guy, at an indoor range, in a wheel chair, with a handgun w/ a laser..... he hit where the red dot was .....

REMEMBER, lasers, work BOTH ways .....

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Everything I carry has one,, Great tool IMHO.. One of the 3 things you can spend money on that will increase your potential for accuracy.. The other two being a quality firearm and a good trigger.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I would say try it out and see if it works for you. I had a Crimson Trace Grip Laser once on my Glock 22 Gen 3. Alas, the laser is gone and so is the Glock. My biggest gripe about the laser is/was that I spent more time trying to acquire it and get on target than I did with a pair of TruGlo TFO's. As for the Glock, opportunity smiled upon me to part with it. I just don't care for .40 cal in general.

But I have seen others that can use a laser just fine. In the end it is a matter of whether or not it works for you.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I vote for the Crimson Trace Laserguards. With a proper gun grip they instinctively come on.
    In the heat of the moment, you don't want to be looking for activation buttons.
    I have one on both our LCP's. Mine has about 1500 rnds through the gun and still works flawless.
    Like anything else, it needs practice. Dryfire practice works well.
    Also is great to show you how good or bad your trigger control is.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Lasers can not only help when you can't focus on the sights but it also helps you to focus on the target like people tend to naturally do and just see the dot on target; very similar to red dots. Whichever you get, get something good quality (like Crimson Trace etc) because you get what you pay for in the long run. Red dots have become pretty popular and it actually wouldn't make it too much harder to conceal. For lasers, I personally can see the greed dots on targets much easier than red; red washes out very easily in bright light. And I believe Crimson Trace makes some lasers for Glocks that go onto the back of the grip which wouldn't require a new holster. I personally wouldn't get a rail mounted laser that has to be activated with a separate action; I'd stick with the Crimson Trace style that your grip automatically turns the laser on. That's just my personal preference though and what works for me might not work for you. Whichever you go with, still practice with just the sights sometimes though. Lasers, red dots, etc can all break, batteries do dead, etc but your sights are still there as a backup if that happens.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know you having problems seeing things up close but would an RMR be an option for aging eyes? Just asking, because to me that is a better option than a laser.

I like this thinking. The RMRs come so small now, this would be worth looking into. Yeah, you might have to buy a gun ready for it (oh darn) or have your slide milled for it but no special holsters needed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I put a Crimson Trace green laser on my EDC's rail. Even in fairly bright sunlight I can still see it out to 15-20 feet or so (used it to drive away a squirrel who was barking up a storm at me yesterday, and he was about 30-35 feet away). If you go with a laser, I would highly recommend green, and CT makes good stuff as far as I'm concerned. Small device, light, powerful, and bright as all...heck. And I'd absolutely stick with one mounted to a rail--much more secure and less likely to get off adjustment.

Here's mine:Amazon.com : Crimson Trace CMR-206 RAIL MASTER UNIVERSAL GREEN LASER SIGHT : Sports & Outdoors
    I have three red CT laser sights on handguns and for me, over 40 eyes, they work better than night sights. They aren't much use in the daytime, but that's what the sights are for. What advantage does the green have over the red?

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have old eyes and have lasers on all of my carry guns and bedside guns. I am a firm believer in crimson trace products. Their customer service and their products are outstanding. Look on eBay and Amazon for the best prices.

Dkamm23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2015
    Osceola
    something i have come in to with the lasers is they are not friendly to left handers. i also am a firm believer that a laser is not something you should completely rely on. you should become confident with point shooting first.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Has anyone ever tried one of the Laser Max "guide rod" lasers? I like that you wouldn't need to change holsters, but they are pricey. They do come in green, which as other have suggested, would be my choice, but it doesn't appear they support very many manufacturers (CZ is not on their list).

https://www.lasermax.com/products#!guide-rod-lasers

Maybe if they bring the price down...I can't pay more for the laser than I did for the gun....

I do really like my green laser on my sub2000

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    something i have come in to with the lasers is they are not friendly to left handers. i also am a firm believer that a laser is not something you should completely rely on. you should become confident with point shooting first.
    Before that, one needs to develop good trigger control. You are correct that a laser doesn't help one who is not schooled in old fashioned marksmanship fundamentals and point shooting, to a degree.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom