• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Just wanting some input on a nice revolver, want to meet in the middle not real cheap or that expensive. Would just be for fun at the range would like to stay under 800.00 if possible? Thanks

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    sw686b.jpg

2Model686-425.jpg

be couple'a MY 1st choices......

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    You should have no problem finding a very nice revolver for less than $800. I am partial to Smith and Wesson but Ruger makes a fine revolver as well.
    I also think that 357 magnum gives you many options as well from light 38 rounds to full blown magnums.
    I would suggest handling several different ones with different barrel lengths to see how they feel to you. I personally like 3 inch L frame guns and 4 inch K frames but that is just my personal preference.
    Good luck.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    With an $800 budget I would buy a $500-$550 used S&W or Ruger 4" 357 and save the rest of the money for a .22 Revolver...I picked up a nice Taurus .22 4" revolver here on INGO and the Newbies love it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a 5" 686+ 7 shot .357 mag. It's awesome; and it only sees range time.

I think I've only carried it once. And I had my .38 airweight in my opposite pocket as a "new york reload" since I know I'm really not up to snuff on reloading a revolver from a speed loader under stress.

Anyhow - I'd suggest AT LEAST a 4.0" barrel on a .357 revolver if you go that route. That way, if you HAVE to, you can legally hunt Indiana white tail deer with it.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If I "have to" hunt deer I am not going to worry about the legalities...:D

I would look first at what you already own, if you do own a 1911 or two perhaps a S&W 625 would be in order, own a 357 rifle, then that is the caliber I would look at. Being able to use a common caliber is a nice advantage.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    BJenkins, a word of caution. I did the same thing a little over a year ago... got turned onto revolvers thanks to my younger brother's S&W 66-5 4" police trade-in. My revolver-itis started with a Ruger Match Champion, then I got a real taste for Smiths, and what you can do with their triggers. What started as "just one for range fun" has turned into "I could easily shoot and own only revolvers, and live a perfectly happy life".

For range fun, a NM 66 Combat Magnum (4-1/4" barrel) can be had new for right at $700, and I've seen very gently used ones sell for around $600. I recently got a NIB 686 "plus" (7-rounder) 3". Anything K or L-frame in 3" is hard to come by, and I jumped on this one when I saw it. All my revolvers get a Wilson Combat spring swap, which is easy to do, and yields great results.

For range fun, I'd recommend either a S&W NM 66 Combat, a 686, or if you like Rugers, the GP100 Match Champion is both beautiful and quite a shooter. Any of these NIB should run you right around 7 bills plus tax.

Just use extreme prejudice when you look the gun over. S&W has been having challenges with "canted" (over/under-clocked barrels) for the last few years. Make sure the ridges on top of the barrel line up with ridges on the top strap. Same thing with any revolver, really... make sure it's put together straight, check for end shake of the cylinder, and index through the cylinders to make sure they don't "stick" as you dry-cycle the gun.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Have you thought at all about an 1873 colt clone like this uberti horseman? What is more fun than being a cowboy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      1,005.9 KB · Views: 5

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My Ruger Match Champion is probably my favorite all around revolver. It's easy to shoot well, it's not punishing to shoot a lot, even with full house magnums, and it's accurate. The sights are very good and don't make my eyes tired trying to stay focused on after awhile like black/black sights tend to.

That said, there's plenty of viable options in that range. I'd probably stick with .357, though, as it gives you the option of .38s when you want, magnums when you want. Especially if you reload, you've got a lot of versatility in how much recoil you get.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I picked up Uberti clone single action in 45 Colt. If you use cowboy loads it is an absolute blast to shoot. My daughter likes shooting that more than she does her P938. You can find used ones under $500.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just wanting some input on a nice revolver, want to meet in the middle not real cheap or that expensive. Would just be for fun at the range would like to stay under 800.00 if possible? Thanks

Step 1 - Drive to Seymour
    Step 2 - Go to Bite the Bullet
    Step 3 - Give Loren $350
    Step 4 - Take home your police trade-in Smith 15-6

Easy

IMG_0424_zpsiy0gf2la.jpg

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Best most accurate revolver I ever owned and fired is the CzechPoint USA Alfa Project Revolver 6" .357. At 10yards, same hole all 6 rounds. Better than any Smith I ever owned. They are out of 6" but have two different 3". You will not be disappointed. They also have a 4" 22lr, 9 shot for $292 plus $15 shipping. I have not shot one of the 22's, but if they are anything like the .357 its a way better deal than the S&W. And Smith's are excellent firearms, usually.

Top Bottom