• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mark and Loren have several. Probably the best selection I have seen. They usually keep the Smiths and Ruger LCRs in stock.

My opinion only but stick with a Smith 638 or 442/642 or a Ruger LCR. I have seen a lot of inconsistency in the Charter Arms and Taurus offerings.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Mark and Loren have several. Probably the best selection I have seen. They usually keep the Smiths and Ruger LCRs in stock.

My opinion only but stick with a Smith 638 or 442/642 or a Ruger LCR. I have seen a lot of inconsistency in the Charter Arms and Taurus offerings.

Except for the Ruger LCR, I agree with this... The high bore axis of the LCR shows a little more jump in the recoil. Laws of physics.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I disagree on the recoil factor of the LCR. I'd rather shoot my LCR than my three Smith J-frames. I guess my LCR defies the laws of physics. ;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Except for the Ruger LCR, I agree with this... The high bore axis of the LCR shows a little more jump in the recoil. Laws of physics.

Eh. The LCRs polymer frame seems to soak up the recoil better IMO. It does feel different then the Smith. But the Smith while heavier is ever so slightly more petite. Plus smith and J frame are synonymous with BUG.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I disagree on the recoil factor of the LCR. I'd rather shoot my LCR than my three Smith J-frames. I guess my LCR defies the laws of physics. ;)

I would say that it amounts to the differences in two elements. First the amount of flex in the polymer absorbing at least a small bit of recoil and the higher bore axis redirecting recoil upward rather than rearward. It is one of those things, just like furniture or automobiles, where your idea of comfortable and mine may well be two entirely different things, no violations of physics required.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think it's mostly the factory grips on the LCR. They've got that gel insert on the back, are relatively cushy, and are shaped well to fill the palm. I don't think the polymer flexes all that much. Surely someone has run a high speed camera on one and can tell for sure one way or the other, but if it did that would seem like a recipe for disaster as the cylinder would constantly be moving in relationship to the barrel. The .357 has a steel frame and is quite pleasant to shoot with any .38s and the lighter .357s.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I think the J frames seem to beat my middle knuckle under recoil with factory grips because of the short space between the back of the trigger guard and your hands position. I do like the J frames with a K frame sized set of hogue grips on them that fills in that area and drops the hand some what below the trigger guard.

I do prefer the Ruger SP101 and LCR's though for EDC and carrying with the notion that I may have to shoot them accurately.

I would also add that I find the trick to handling these snubbies with 38 +P and 357 magnum loads is running a lower grain load such as a 90 up to 125 grain bullet which seems to reduce felt recoil...

Just a few thoughts on the little magnums... Ruger or Smith definitely...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think the J frames seem to beat my middle knuckle under recoil with factory grips because of the short space between the back of the trigger guard and your hands position. I do like the J frames with a K frame sized set of hogue grips on them that fills in that area and drops the hand some what below the trigger guard.

I do prefer the Ruger SP101 and LCR's though for EDC and carrying with the notion that I may have to shoot them accurately.

I would also add that I find the trick to handling these snubbies with 38 +P and 357 magnum loads is running a lower grain load such as a 90 up to 125 grain bullet which seems to reduce felt recoil...

Just a few thoughts on the little magnums... Ruger or Smith definitely...

I concur...the "J" frame Smith's beat my middle finger on my trigger hand to death as well. I bought an LCR in .38+P when the first came out...but after a couple of hundred rounds, I opted to keep the SP101 in .357 and sold the LCR...I can deal with carrying the increased weight of the SP101 better than the finger beatin' of the Smith and the 'increased' recoil of the LCR over the SP101 due to the difference in the weight of the gun itself.

To all...it's a personal choice as to what fits great in the hand...feels good when you shoot...and is comfortable to carry...that's probably why there are so many manufacturers / makes / models to choose from...therefore, choose wisely!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I think the J frames seem to beat my middle knuckle under recoil with factory grips...

This has always been my problem with the J-frames, and even K-frames when shooting hotter ammo. I find the LCRs to be a little snappier, but the Smith knuckle-busting is most disagreeable. My Taurus 85 is a dream, but, it's a fairly heavy gun, too.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Biggest problem I have with my Smith 642 is that the cylinder release chews the skin off the knuckle of my right thumb. Recoil with an air weight is noticeable. But that is the trade off for a gun that carries so easily. Mine was on my ankle today from 9am until just a few minutes ago.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

For practice with my J frames using heavy loads I put a band aid on my finger BEFORE shooting. Especially with the .357 model 60, it actually draws blood. Of course it I was needing to shoot a bad guy to save my life, a hurt or cut finger would not mean much.

Top Bottom