• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm not sure if this is the right section, please move if needed. I have an upcoming business trip where our team building activity is a trip to the range. I would like to take my M&P instead of renting. Will the original case work for TSA or do I need to get a Pelican or similar case?
    I have read. Most of the threads discussing flying but am still not certain on the case as long as it locks.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Just contact the airport or TSA and they will tell you.
    For something like this, I would get the info right form the horses mouth and not from a discussion board

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Look at your air carrier's website. It's their airplane so they have the final say. Print a copy of their rules and carry them with you. Use a NON TSA lock on the gun case. Do not give the key/combination to ANYONE and do not allow them to inspect your gun without you standing there and watching them. They will come and find you if they want to look inside the case. That is Federal law. You may use a TSA lock on the bag containing the gun case. Now as for the TSA - they have a bunch of rules too but NO ONE in the TSA has any freaking idea what they are or has EVER seen the "rules" (and you can't see them either because they're SUPER SECRET and part of our "National Defense" and our "Sacred Holy War on Terror"). But that's OK - they'll just make some stupid crap up as they go. Every single TSA agent will tell you something completely different from what the last TSA agent told you and it will almost certainly be wrong. Seriously. Don't forget to "respect their "AUTHORITAY!!!" and smile when you bend over.........

Last edited:

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    If for no other reason than durability I would get a pelican case. I don't fly often, but bought a small pelican case when I did last year and had zero issues with TSA. Had a friend of mine wrap a cable gun lock around the handle of a Glock case and got through the airport without issue but I wouldn't recommend doing that. Spending $100-$150 on a good pelican case that will probably last you your lifetime is money well spend IMO. And the way baggage usually gets thrown around I want my guns protected as much as humanly possible.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If for no other reason than durability I would get a pelican case. I don't fly often, but bought a small pelican case when I did last year and had zero issues with TSA. Had a friend of mine wrap a cable gun lock around the handle of a Glock case and got through the airport without issue but I wouldn't recommend doing that. Spending $100-$150 on a good pelican case that will probably last you your lifetime is money well spend IMO. And the way baggage usually gets thrown around I want my guns protected as much as humanly possible.

I've never flown with a gun, but I mirror these thoughts. And just fyi, a pelican case for a handgun is not near these prices. Amazon has them for $50 ish depending on the size. I got 1 that holds 1 glock 23, 3 spare mags for around $40 shipped

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I fly with a pistol when it's legal to carry on the other end (a different conversation), and I bought a Pelican 1170. I usually carry a Sig P220 Compact to stay capacity legal in all jurisdictions (that I'm aware of), but I can fit my FS M&P and 1 mag in it. But it's tight.
    I would not use the regular OEM case as the gate agents and the TSA are not on the same page as the published laws and regulations. They're not even reading the same book, and I don't want the hassle. Carry extra locks, I've had to use 2 on the Pelican and 2 additional locks on the case I carry the ammo in, even though neither the TSA or the airline(s) require a case.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1170-Carrying-Case-Multi-Purpose/dp/B0038VETHS

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Look at your air carrier's website. It's their airplane so they have the final say. Print a copy of their rules and carry them with you. Use a NON TSA lock on the gun case. Do not give the key/combination to ANYONE and do not allow them to inspect your gun without you standing there and watching them. They will come and find you if they want to look inside the case. That is Federal law. You may use a TSA lock on the bag containing the gun case. Now as for the TSA - they have a bunch of rules too but NO ONE in the TSA has any freaking idea what they are or has EVER seen the "rules" (and you can't see them either because they're SUPER SECRET and part of our "National Defense" and our "Sacred Holy War on Terror"). But that's OK - they'll just make some stupid crap up as they go. Every single TSA agent will tell you something completely different from what the last TSA agent told you and it will almost certainly be wrong. Seriously. Don't forget to "respect their "AUTHORITAY!!!" and smile when you bend over.........

This is completely accurate.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    I've never flown with a gun, but I mirror these thoughts. And just fyi, a pelican case for a handgun is not near these prices. Amazon has them for $50 ish depending on the size. I got 1 that holds 1 glock 23, 3 spare mags for around $40 shipped

I don't remember the model number but the one I bought is bigger, almost briefcase sized. I can easily put a Glock 22 and a 1911 in it with room to spare. I think I paid about $100 for it, but it was a last minute purchase so I didn't have time to see if I could find it cheaper online.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I travel with a Pelican case, and use the TSA locks. The TSA locks are very convenient since TSA can open them. I leave the ammo in its original box, however, not inside the with the firearm. I also keep my approval card inside the case. I fly often and my G27 w/3 mags is alwaya with me. Note: Newark and Chicago when I originated from those airports TSA wanted ammo in a sealed locked container so I carry a small lockable ammo box and use it as needed. I have never been asked again, so I just keep one handy. When I arrive it's business ass usual, and I make m way to the ticket counter and simply say " I want to declare a firearm for travel. I have always been part of the inspection.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    TSA and all carriers will require your firearm to be secured inside a hard-sided case. I believe Smith and Wesson ship their firearms in a cardboard box? If that is true for your firearm, then under no circumstances will it meet the requirements of either TSA or your carrier.

The advice to verify with your carrier is sound; but in general, all you need is a hard-sided case that can be locked securely (using a key that you and only you possess and control), and cannot be accessed while locked (generally meaning that no part of the case can open wide enough to allow penetration by a single finger).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I travel with a Pelican case, and use the TSA locks. The TSA locks are very convenient since TSA can open them. I leave the ammo in its original box, however, not inside the with the firearm. I also keep my approval card inside the case. I fly often and my G27 w/3 mags is alwaya with me. Note: Newark and Chicago when I originated from those airports TSA wanted ammo in a sealed locked container so I carry a small lockable ammo box and use it as needed. I have never been asked again, so I just keep one handy. When I arrive it's business ass usual, and I make m way to the ticket counter and simply say " I want to declare a firearm for travel. I have always been part of the inspection.

Do not put TSA locks on your primary firearm case. Federal law requires the primary firearm case to be locked, and accessible by the firearm owner, and only the firearm owner. Using TSA locks, or even giving a TSA agent your key, is technically a violation of federal law:

Title 49: Transportation, Part 1540 – Civil Aviation Security: General Rules, Subpart B – Responsibilities of Passengers and Other Individuals and Persons, 1540.111 (c) (iv) - The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

Title 49: Transportation, Part 1544 – Aircraft Operator Security: Air Carriers and Commercial Operators, Subpart C – Operations, 1544.203 (f) (iii) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the individual checking the baggage retains the key or combination;

Useful links:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

10 Gun Tips You Need To Know About Flying With Guns

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Of course you won't ever hear that explanation from anyone in the TSA. Thank you for posting the actual rule. I LOVE the comment "the TSA locks are very convenient since TSA can open them". I can assure you they have no trouble whatsoever opening any lock you can buy. And why would you want to make it "convenient" for them to coon finger your property while violating your rights and Federal law? If everyone in this country would simply refuse to fly for just ONE DAY I would bet that Congress would abolish the TSA immediately under pressure from the airline industry, their insurance carriers and the petroleum industry.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I just got home on AA and (at least in Louisville (SDF) and Jacksonville (JAX)) the gate agents have taken to putting a red tag that says "Special Handling" on on a bag with a firearm in it. Not only is marking a bag containing a firearn a violation of 18 USC Sec. 922(e) (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title18/pdf/USCODE-2010-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.pdf), when I went to the carousel to get my bag, it wasn't there. I was pissed off and in line to file a claim when a baggage handler came out from in back with my bag... when I went to get it, he asked for ID and said "since it has a gun in it we're not allowed to put it on the carousel." WTF?!?! So now, not only does every Joe Schmoe know my bag has a firearm in it, I have to wait till everyone else gets their bag before I get mine?!?!

I'll be writting AA and the TSA a letter...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I just got home on AA and (at least in Louisville (SDF) and Jacksonville (JAX)) the gate agents have taken to putting a red tag that says "Special Handling" on on a bag with a firearm in it. Not only is marking a bag containing a firearn a violation of 18 USC Sec. 922(e) (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title18/pdf/USCODE-2010-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.pdf), when I went to the carousel to get my bag, it wasn't there. I was pissed off and in line to file a claim when a baggage handler came out from in back with my bag... when I went to get it, he asked for ID and said "since it has a gun in it we're not allowed to put it on the carousel." WTF?!?! So now, not only does every Joe Schmoe know my bag has a firearm in it, I have to wait till everyone else gets their bag before I get mine?!?!

I'll be writting AA and the TSA a letter...

Oddly enough, United put a priority baggage tag on mine (usual for a frequent flyer, though I hadn't quite hit status yet), and it came out on the carousel at STL as the very first bag. Same thing on my later return to IND - though by then I had frequent flyer status, so it would have been tagged regardless.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I use a Plano 1080-30 case - it was $50 on ebay added a some extra foam, plucked it to fit 4 pistols and a large slot for my "mag bag" which holds my ammo and mags - we generally fly southwest - absolutely no issues from Chicago to tampa or phoenix and back - Tampa and Phoenix - the case was set aside in a corralled area with golf clubs etc - landing in Chicago - it came out on the carousel with all the other luggage - DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS - I also added a chamber empty flag to each pistol

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have flown around 10 times with a handgun. I have always taken my 92FS in a S&W M&P case. I only used the M&P case because the 92FS case doesn't have a place to put a lock. Really easy process. My wife has even checked in my gun for me at the airport.

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I have a pelican for my AR. I've flown probably ten times and just used a glock box and cable lock for handguns, never had any problems.

Top Bottom