• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Don't do it. I bought 2 and one was pure junk. Wouldn't run at all.
    I think Churchmouse bought one and it was trash as well.
    That's just my experience but you asked so I'll tell you my experience with them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't do it. I bought 2 and one was pure junk. Wouldn't run at all.
    I think Churchmouse bought one and it was trash as well.
    That's just my experience but you asked so I'll tell you my experience with them.

True. I was going to share that. My main point is the sights suck for us :fogey:

There are members on here that own and love them.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I got one and the sucker eats anythg you can throw down its throat, possiblly the best trigger ive ever felt on any of my 1911's. It did have a safety issue and had to make a trip back to Kahr had that sucker back in like 4 days. BUY IT!!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Their mags suck!!! but the gun itself has been 100%. I got a blemish model from buds for $379. Small blemish in thr coating notta biggie at all.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I guess it just depends want to want or expect out of a 1911. I thought my SA RO was nice until I felt what a nice trigger felt like.

I bought a GI Milspec because it was a good deal thinking it would add some parts to make it a better gun. Over a thousand dollars later the gun is a tack driver with a sweet 2.5 pound trigger and target adjustable sights.

My advice is save up some extra money and buy something you can put better sights on and have a good foundation for upgrades. Opening the ejecting port and cutting slots for the sights is about the same cost as buying a better gun.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I guess it just depends want to want or expect out of a 1911. I thought my SA RO was nice until I felt what a nice trigger felt like.

I bought a GI Milspec because it was a good deal thinking it would add some parts to make it a better gun. Over a thousand dollars later the gun is a tack driver with a sweet 2.5 pound trigger and target adjustable sights.

My advice is save up some extra money and buy something you can put better sights on and have a good foundation for upgrades. Opening the ejecting port and cutting slots for the sights is about the same cost as buying a better gun.
    +1 I couldnt agree more! OP, If your looking at shooting the bullseye out of a target at 25yds by all means save ur coin, if ur looking at ringing some steel from time to time at the range or just shooting some placed opportunity targets on the burm afew times ayr this is ur firearm.
    Its a budget starter 1911 that you can learn a lil about the platform with. I like mine and I think you will like urs.
    Chalked full of MIM parts for your shooting pleasure. ENJOY!!
    if you wanna buy a $400 gun and then put $1000 into it to make it a bullseye gun have at it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 I couldnt agree more! OP, If your looking at shooting the bullseye out of a target at 25yds by all means save ur coin, if ur looking at ringing some steel from time to time at the range or just shooting some placed opportunity targets on the burm afew times ayr this is ur firearm.
    Its a budget starter 1911 that you can learn a lil about the platform with. I like mine and I think you will like urs.
    if you wanna buy a $400 gun and then put $1000 into it to make it a bullseye gun have at it.

Gluemanz and ^^^^^ are right. I have a habit of finding MilSpec springers for cheap and putting stupid money in them to build up a hot rod. I do the lions share myself but any machine work I let AllenM do as he has the tooling and the right mill/lathe. I am not fond of upgrading the AO offerings as some are out of spec.

That said I am sure the one I have in progress now will be the last of this series.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Just be aware that if you go that route, you'll still have a $400 gun when done. If you add just a bit of cash, you can pick up a Colt blued 1911 from Bud's for $678 today. That's a really good deal on a gun that will hold its value. The price difference between the two on Bud's is only $151 right now. There's no way I'd buy an AO if I can pick up a Colt for just about $150 more.

Colt O1991 1991 Series 7+1 45ACP 5" $678.00 SHIPS FREE

Last edited:

MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    Wow thanks I did not realize the Colt 1991 80 series was that priced down.. I held one in my hands about a year ago at Cabelas it was around $850 ... If it's around 680 that's quite a reduction. And closer to what I'm willing to pay for a plain slab side. I don't want a target model or match grade $3000 pistol. I just want a 1911 better than Rock Island, Taylors and Co, and the other $350 dollar 1911's. But I don't want junk that's why I thought the Kahr Made Auto Ordnance 1911 would have been sufficient. But for a buck 50 more the Colt is where it's at. Thanks y'all for the great input.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Another option is a Remington R1. Those are down around $525 after the $75 rebate they have running right now. It's another good gun, but the Colt is probably the better deal in the long run.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Just be aware that if you go that route, you'll still have a $400 gun when done. If you add just a bit of cash, you can pick up a Colt blued 1911 from Bud's for $678 today. That's a really good deal on a gun that will hold its value. The price difference between the two on Bud's is only $151 right now. There's no way I'd buy an AO if I can pick up a Colt for just about $150 more.

Colt O1991 1991 Series 7+1 45ACP 5" $678.00 SHIPS FREE
    THIS!! the Colt is a really nice shooter. I picked one up last yr some time 602 and then a $100 rebate from Colt.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    Another option for about the price of that Colt is a Kimber Custom II. Acme Sports in Seymour has had the two tone version on sale for $679 twice this year and just recently posted on their facebook page that they had a few leftovers. And it comes with a nice beaver tail safety, Novak style combat sights (although they're plain black they're still better than the GI style sights IMO) and a decent for production 1911 trigger. Kimber is also known for it tight fight for production 1911s and of the few I've shot they have always been accurate and reliable. Unless you're specifically looking for a GI spec gun to tinker with and build on for fun, you'll easily spend the price difference between the two and then some after a few mods to a $400 1911.

Top Bottom