• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    What is the best 9mm 1911 for the money? I'd like something no bigger than my G19, possibly smaller. For less then $1k. I was originally set on a CZ 75 compact. But what I liked about the CZ was the single action trigger. I HATE double action triggers.

No better trigger than a 1911! I want to stick with 9mm.

What brand would you go with or stay away from? Is 9mm reliable in a 1911? What are my options? For those of you that carry a 1911 how do you carry? (I will train diligently with the 1911 before carrying it).

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Smaller than a G19 in a 1911 means only one thing and that is officer sized and in order to get a good 100% reliable officer sized 1911 you are spending more than $1000.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    If you like the CZ. Just cock it and lock it. You don't have to use the DA.

Springfield compact RO is probably your best bet in a small 1911.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you like the CZ. Just cock it and lock it. You don't have to use the DA.

Springfield compact RO is probably your best bet in a small 1911.

Yep! You can cock and lock a 75B Omega. It has a pretty decent trigger out of the box, but easily can be upgraded to very nice. It is a bit larger than a G19 in some dimensions, but more slender in others. Cabela's has one for $519, but I'm sure with patience you could do even better.

The 75 BD Compact I had was a really nice size, smaller than the 75B. But it was a decocker model, and wouldn't fit your criteria.

You could also opt for a Browning Hi-Power.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't own a 9mm 1911 (yet), but I did find these ones for sale. All are known brands that have a following and are guns that I'd consider carrying once broken in.

First up is a Colt Commander in 9mm. Priced at under $750
    COLT O4610 1991 CMNDR 9MM BL $741.00 SHIPS FREE

Next up is a Springfield EMP for $998:
    Springfield PI9209LP 1911 EMP 9+1 9mm 3" Package $998.00 SHIPS FREE

Here's a Kimber Pro Carry II for $868
    Kimber 3200123 Pro Carry II 9+1 9mm 4" $868.00 SHIPS FREE

Here's a Springfield Range Officer Compact for $694
    Springfield RNG OFCR 4 8RD 9mmSS $694.00 SHIPS FREE

Any of the above would be worth looking at as an EDC gun. Personally, I'd start with either the Springfield Range Officer or the Colt.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    If your budget is a grand, you need a commander, and you want a 100% reliable 9mm 1911... as stated up top, just pass on it. I can recommend many, many 9mm 1911's, but for 1K. Dont think its gonna happen.

Buy a CZ P01 or CZ75 and send it to David at CWG... you will be better off and get a lot for the money.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a full size 9mm Springfield Range officer. Kind of plain looking but is accurate and reliable. I would have no reason to believe the compact version is any less. For your budget, get a Springfield Range officer, a couple extra magazines and $250 worth of ammo.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If your budget is a grand, you need a commander, and you want a 100% reliable 9mm 1911... as stated up top, just pass on it. I can recommend many, many 9mm 1911's, but for 1K. Dont think its gonna happen.

Buy a CZ P01 or CZ75 and send it to David at CWG... you will be better off and get a lot for the money.

What would you know about 1911's. You can also have our own INGO CZ Wizard work on it. He uses Cajun parts, as far as I know. His services seem to come highly recommended over in the CZickness threads.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Take a look at the Colt Defender. Light weight, very accurate, mine has been flawless in 9mm. Been my edc for several years iwb @ four o'clock

WEB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Carmel
    First let me say I own a Glock 19, a Wilson Combat CQB in 9mm and a CZ 75 TS. All are great guns for their purpose. The 1911 was designed around a longer overall length cartridge. The Wilson 9mm magazines do the best job of feeding the round in the 1911 platform.
    To answer your question The Kimber Aegis would fit your criteria. The Glock 43 would be a great carry gun for less money and less finicky. I an sure there are other choices.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Commander 1911 compared to an H&K P30 (slightly larger than a G19, I do not have any glocks to compare to)
    UOG11g0h.jpg

0n1DRWzh.jpg

The Commander is a bit bigger than the H&K especially where the barrel length is concerned and the grip is longer than that of the G19

This is an officers sized 1911 compared to the H&K
    SNKe3Vnh.jpg

8xB4xtCh.jpg

As seen above the officer is by far the closest to a G19 in size.

The Colt Defender would not be a bad option for the price point but it lacks night sights and a larger thumb safety for ease of use.
    Colt Defender? Series

The Springfield Range Officer Compact is another option using a 4 inch barrel (longer than that of the Colt) it lacks front strap checkering and night sights as well.
    1911 Range Officer® Compact 9mm - Springfield Armory

Springfield EMP is another option coming in as a smaller pistol than the Range Officer Compact, does not have front strap checkering.
    1911 EMP® 9MM Handgun | Aluminum Frame Pistols for Sale

My favorite small 1911 is hands down the Dan Wesson ECO as shown in the pictures above but it is above the price range at around $1500 street price.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    What would you know about 1911's. You can also have our own INGO CZ Wizard work on it. He uses Cajun parts, as far as I know. His services seem to come highly recommended over in the CZickness threads.

Yeah.... I dont know much about the 1911 or CZ pistols:(

Best to not listen or read into anything I say on those two topics

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Not your thousand dollar pistol (650) but I've never had an issue with either barrel of my Rock Island 9/22TCM 1911.. I'm a fan of Wilson mags but this runs best with McCormick 38 Super mags.. Great bargain for the money and you have the option of 22TCM which is more fun to shoot than any pistol I own. Who doesn't love a 2fer.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Commander 1911 compared to an H&K P30 (slightly larger than a G19, I do not have any glocks to compare to)

The Colt Defender would not be a bad option for the price point but it lacks night sights and a larger thumb safety for ease of use.
    Colt Defender? Series

The Springfield Range Officer Compact is another option using a 4 inch barrel (longer than that of the Colt) it lacks front strap checkering and night sights as well.
    1911 Range Officer® Compact 9mm - Springfield Armory

Springfield EMP is another option coming in as a smaller pistol than the Range Officer Compact, does not have front strap checkering.
    1911 EMP® 9MM Handgun | Aluminum Frame Pistols for Sale

My favorite small 1911 is hands down the Dan Wesson ECO as shown in the pictures above but it is above the price range at around $1500 street price.

I love the look of the Wilson and even some of the Kimbers, but do people actually carry those? I'd think the wear from carrying it would hurt the value of the gun. Does stainless steel show holster wear? I'd be willing to step up to the $1500 range if there is a noticeable difference in quality, fit, and finish. I'm looking for a gun to last a lifetime, not just something I'm going to sell at a loss in a year. :-)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom